Notices

d16a8???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16a8???

has anyone ever heard of a d16a8? im thinkin about droppin one into my rex and i wondered if anyone has made this swap before, what problems they've had and any other input you guys might have
Old 09-11-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: d16a8??? (88crxsison)

same swap as ZC...
Old 09-11-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: d16a8??? (crxgator)

do you mean i prettymuch just have to swap out the motor? how hard will it be to find bolt ons like cams & gears, intake manifold and whatnot?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:01 PM

Yep thats the EDM DOHC ZC, no difference.

Beware of the EDM D16A9 though, looks like a DOHC ZC & a D16A8 but 13 less HP and lower compression pistons.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: d16a8??? (88crxsison)

how realistic is 300hp with this motor?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:03 PM

If you have a Si, Hasport sells the wiring kit (Si - DOHC ZC) for like $40.

Other than that use your Si tranny if you dont get a ZC tranny and youll be on your way.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 PM

like any other D- series or B-series, Your gonna have to put Rods and pistons and other goodies on it then they will all be reliable.

Your not going to get 300hp out of a stock motor.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (Kryogen)

yea ive got the a6 si tranny, what is going to have to be re-wired with the hasport kit?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:07 PM

it takes 2 wires from the dizzy and sends them to the CPS on the Exh cam.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:08 PM

right, not with a stock motor, but with pistons, rods, balanced crank, cams, camgears, springs&valves, port&polish, msd ignition, and hopefully a full greddy kit & engine management is 300 possible?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kryogen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it takes 2 wires from the dizzy and sends them to the CPS on the Exh cam.</TD></TR></TABLE>it wha!?!?!?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (88crxsison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kryogen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep thats the EDM DOHC ZC, no difference.

Beware of the EDM D16A9 though, looks like a DOHC ZC & a D16A8 but 13 less HP and lower compression pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What a b*llshit.

Both of the engines have 130hp/6800rpm and 153nm/5700rpm. A 9:5.1 compression, pent roof combustion chamber and PM7 components. Same pistons in both of the engines.

I should say beware of the A8 cuz its not from Honda actually. A9 is. Where did you come this info anyway?

And use search, i've been telling the diffrences from A8 and A9 for a dozen times.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: (Twilight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twilight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What a b*llshit.

Both of the engines have 130hp/6800rpm and 153nm/5700rpm. A 9:5.1 compression, pent roof combustion chamber and PM7 components. Same pistons in both of the engines.

I should say beware of the A8 cuz its not from Honda actually. A9 is. Where did you come this info anyway?

And use search, i've been telling the diffrences from A8 and A9 for a dozen times.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude you live in Europe you ought know the differences better than anyone, But yes in EUROPE it will make 130 (A9).
The A9 has lower compression and is meant to be ran no cat, and on LEADED fuel, something we dont have in the states, thats why it achieves 130hp from being a downgraded motor. And just because the A8's are in Rovers does not mean they made them its still a Honda motor.

I dont care where you live, youre still wrong, even if you lived in f*cking Japan!
I get this info straight from the Honda spec sheets from Hondas website!!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pwn3d
Old 09-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rexman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kryogen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude you live in Europe you ought know the differences better than anyone, But yes in EUROPE it will make 130 (A9).
The A9 has lower compression and is meant to be ran no cat, and on LEADED fuel, something we dont have in the states, thats why it achieves 130hp from being a downgraded motor. And just because the A8's are in Rovers does not mean they made them its still a Honda motor.

I dont care where you live, youre still wrong, even if you lived in f*cking Japan!
I get this info straight from the Honda spec sheets from Hondas website!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can get these information, not from internet. From Honda Motor Europe Co. And i can show you the "diffrences" in A9 and A8.

BTW, we havent got any LEADED fuel for a century. The A9 is CATTED in some european countries. I can prove you that. Dont start to arque with me on this.

BTW, this is from Honda catalog (witch was given to retailers in 87 when the new models came). This does not answer to all of your questions. But answers that the D16A9 engine DOES have 9.5:1 compression, and 130hp.

I've read about the "9.1:1 compression A9" from the internet too sometime. Internet is a very good place, no doubt. But people can put there something that they necessarily not know everything. And then people reads it and think its true information. Like this kinda information.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rexman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> pwn3d</TD></TR></TABLE>

How 'bout now?

Modified by Twilight at 8:52 PM 9/14/2005
Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twilight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can get these information, not from internet. From Honda Motor Europe Co. And i can show you the "diffrences" in A9 and A8.

I've read about the "9.1:1 compression A9" from the internet too sometime. Internet is a very good place, no doubt. But people can put there something that they necessarily not know everything. And then people reads it and think its true information. Like this kinda information.

How 'bout now? </TD></TR></TABLE>

as you said, this has been covered before. and when it was, you were wrong atleast once. even getting the info directly from Honda, they have conflicting info (which, again, has been mentioned). Honda UK has 2 online manuals (CRX and Concerto) that list the D16A8/A9 and each has differing compression numbers.

if your info says the D16A9 has 9.5:1, that's fine. if you want to take that as the real number, that's fine, too. but there's no need to get self-righteous when other people quote other figures that are also directly from Honda. it's not helpful. i'm not trying to be an ***, i'm very glad you contribute, especially since you're on a different continent that has cars with different engines and specs.

to the original poster, here is a little info on the ZC/A8/A9. i have a D16A8, and i have no complaints. i also haven't heard any complaints from anyone who has swapped one in.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gutterslide)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gutterslide &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as you said, this has been covered before. and when it was, you were wrong atleast once. even getting the info directly from Honda, they have conflicting info. Honda UK has 2 online manuals (CRX and Concerto) that list the D16A8/A9 and each has differing compression numbers.

if your info says the D16A9 has 9.5:1, that's fine. if you want to take that as the real number, that's fine, too. but there's no need to get self-righteous when other people quote other figures that are also directly from Honda. it's not helpful. i'm not trying to be an ***, i'm very glad you contribute, especially since you're on a different continent that has cars with different engines and specs.

to the original poster, here is a little info on the ZC/A8/A9. i have a D16A8, and i have no complaints. i also haven't heard any complaints from anyone who has swapped one in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. I think even Honda has diffrent info on other region. But, what i have sawn i can prove it right. Atleast in Europe.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe it's just Finland. besides, don't your cars run on fish oil?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kryogen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like any other D- series or B-series, Your gonna have to put Rods and pistons and other goodies on it then they will all be reliable.

Your not going to get 300hp out of a stock motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow you are wrong. There are plenty of people in this forum that have turbo DOHC ZCs (same as A8/A9) and are making nice HP without changing their rods/pistons. Its all in the tuning.

Also, LS engines make 300hp on stock blocks. Go to the FI forum, you will see plenty. Especially in the thread just disignated for the LS-T setups. Again... its all in the tuning.

And there is a STOCK BLOCK K24 making upwards of 500whp. Did i mention it was stock block?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88crxsison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">right, not with a stock motor, but with pistons, rods, balanced crank, cams, camgears, springs&valves, port&polish, msd ignition, and hopefully a full greddy kit & engine management is 300 possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure to get larger injectors and an upgraded fuel pump. Low compression pistons.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88crxsison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how realistic is 300hp with this motor?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the setup you mentioned, proper engine/fuel management, and a nice turbo, 300 hp is easily obtainable. You can probably push ~450-500hp. But again (for the third time) its all in the tuning. Proper tuning is the difference between a rod out the block and a strong, healthy turbo motor.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mach69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gutterslide &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe it's just Finland. besides, don't your cars run on fish oil? </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, dont think so. Whats your problem, really? Fishing isint ever been our income, like Norway. And my info is related to the Europe.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I gotta stick with Twilight. Here in Venezuela we got the D16A9 engine, and Honda Venezuela have the same specs. 130hp, 9.5:1 CR.

I have the UK CRX manual, and it says the A8 was EFI, whereas the A9 was carbed, but I don't know if that's true. All venezuelan A9's are EFI, and without cats.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Twilight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, dont think so. Whats your problem, really? Fishing isint ever been our income, like Norway. And my info is related to the Europe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

who says the Fins don't have a sense of humor?!

Starscream... i don't doubt that at all. manufacturers release all kinds of variations in different markets around the world to meet specific governmental restrictions and consumer demands. there are very obviously differences that need to be mentioned, and not fought over.

unless you know exactly from which market a specific imported engine came from, and exactly what the specs are for that engine in the given market, there's no need to fight over it.