Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
r3000
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Default ROYAL PURPLE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. Is it any good?

I came across "ROYAL PURPLE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER " $14 shipped for bottle. Did anyone have experience with this stuff ? My '95 accord LX has ~90kmiles and i've never cleaned fuel injectors. How do you apply it? just pour in the tank ..? I'm kinda afraid of killing the engine with some detergents in the tank.. Any other brand you'd like to suggest?
Thanks!
r3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #2
diyer
* B A N N E D *
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: ROYAL PURPLE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. Is it any good? (r3000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3000
I came across "ROYAL PURPLE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER " $14 shipped for bottle. Did anyone have experience with this stuff ? My '95 accord LX has ~90kmiles and i've never cleaned fuel injectors. How do you apply it? just pour in the tank ..? I'm kinda afraid of killing the engine with some detergents in the tank..

Any other brand you'd like to suggest?
Thanks!
If it has PolyEther Amine (PA) in it then it is top shelf stuff. However, there are also other FI cleaners without the PA in it. Most chemical mfrs try to hide any mention of the Poly A stuff. I suspect that maybe what is really going on is that they do not want you to know their cleaner does not have it. If you call their tech lines, they will all swear their product does contain the PA, and they are trying to protect their secret formula. Anyway, you rarely will see mention of it on the label. There are two good products whose label does have it on it. One is BG44K, sold only at Dealership parts Depts., like LEXUS, INFINITI, etc. The other is CRC's "Guaranteed to Pass" Emission Test Formula.

Personally I also use other cleaners as well. Chevron Techron works well. Chevron claims it has the PA in it, but will not put it on the label. If you look at Chevron's MSDS you will see a bunch of benzene derivative chemicals - like zylene, cumene, benzene, trimethylbenzene-1,2,4; and napthalenes. That's good even if it aint got the PA. Prestone has the most unusual formula.

$14 sounds like twice what you need to put out for a good cleaner.

Usage: Also, Its best to put Techron in on a near empty tank. CRC says add the gas first. Go figure!? At any rate, if your system is really crummy (doubt it at 90k), then you may need a manual cleaning. If the cleaner works, then just add it periodically. Btw, the best time to add the cleaner is before you change your oil, and some FI cleaners recommend an oil change immediately after. I think it is a good practice as there will always be some blow by. So add it to you tank and then run it out and change the oil and your done.
diyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #3
r3000
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: ROYAL PURPLE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. Is it any good? (diyer)

Weird they dont add polyetheramine, its pretty cheap ~S0.05-0.11 per pound (http://www.basf.com/corporate/120304_amines.htm). How does that stuff (PA and other additives) work anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer

If it has PolyEther Amine (PA) in it then it is top shelf stuff. However, there are also other FI cleaners without the PA in it. Most chemical mfrs try to hide any mention of the Poly A stuff. I suspect that maybe what is really going on is that they do not want you to know their cleaner does not have it. If you call their tech lines, they will all swear their product does contain the PA, and they are trying to protect their secret formula. Anyway, you rarely will see mention of it on the label. There are two good products whose label does have it on it. One is BG44K, sold only at Dealership parts Depts., like LEXUS, INFINITI, etc. The other is CRC's "Guaranteed to Pass" Emission Test Formula.

Personally I also use other cleaners as well. Chevron Techron works well. Chevron claims it has the PA in it, but will not put it on the label. If you look at Chevron's MSDS you will see a bunch of benzene derivative chemicals - like zylene, cumene, benzene, trimethylbenzene-1,2,4; and napthalenes. That's good even if it aint got the PA. Prestone has the most unusual formula.

$14 sounds like twice what you need to put out for a good cleaner.

Usage: Also, Its best to put Techron in on a near empty tank. CRC says add the gas first. Go figure!? At any rate, if your system is really crummy (doubt it at 90k), then you may need a manual cleaning. If the cleaner works, then just add it periodically. Btw, the best time to add the cleaner is before you change your oil, and some FI cleaners recommend an oil change immediately after. I think it is a good practice as there will always be some blow by. So add it to you tank and then run it out and change the oil and your done.
r3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:56 AM   #4
boonacka
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to boonacka

I've used BG44K which has worked the best but is pretty pricey for a small can ( $20) and i've also used the Chevron Techron stuff which is not as strong but is alot cheaper ($5). If this is your first time evr cleaning your system , then go for the good stuff (BG) or take it for a complete cleaning at a good shop that does Indcution cleaning along with the FI cleaning.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
diyer
* B A N N E D *
Garage is empty, add now

[quote=r3000]Weird they dont add polyetheramine, its pretty cheap ~S0.05-0.11 per pound

Wish I could buy it for that price.

(http://www.basf.com/corporate/120304_amines.htm). How does that stuff (PA and other additives) work anyway?

Not sure if it is the soak or flow method - ask one of their engineers.
diyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
sj993
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to sj993 Send a message via AIM to sj993
Default Re: ROYAL PURPLE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. Is it any good? (diyer)

I too have always used BG products for cleaning the fuel injection system. I've found they work very well though they are expensive.
sj993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
weezo182
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

weezoonline weezoonline weezo182
Send a message via AIM to weezo182
Default Re: ROYAL PURPLE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. Is it any good? (sj993)

BG had a demo at my tech school yesterday they gave out free BBQ and had like 3 hours of demos it was cool.... stuff looked like it works very well and right away
weezo182 is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
acuras, chemicals, cleaner, crc, emissions, formula, fuel, guaranteed, hondatech, injector, pass, polyetheramine, purple, royal, test