Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

GM & Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I still maintain that GM's FM stuff is different than what is sold in automotive stores under the Pennzoil name. My friend who is an ASE-certified mechanic at a Chevy dealer and gets me my Synchromesh fluid, he used to use it in his turbo Eclipse when he had it, and he tells me that the Pennzoil stuff is not as good as GM's Synchromesh Friction Modified.

And don't worry, he's not trying to "get me to buy GM's stuff" or make any money or anything, he gets it to me at his cost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha Patrick, just cause your friend says so doesn't mean it's automatically the truth. Go with the facts brotha.

Get Penzoil cause its far less pricey than GMFMSM, and it's the "same sh*t" (period)
Old 01-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AlphaQup)

one word honda

do it right
Old 01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

i have absolutely no complaints about syncromesh. gm syncromesh fixed a slight grind into 3rd on my old car, and im currently running it in my new car with no problems.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where can u get this stuff?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (illifili)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illifili &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where can u get this stuff? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just bought some today from my Chevy dealer. Part number 12377619. I put it in and I noticed a smoothness in shifting immediately. I have to wait to break it in to fix my 3rd gear grind at higher RPMs. The shifter feels similar to my Type-S cable shifter.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one word honda

do it right</TD></TR></TABLE>

*rolls eyes/shakes head*
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlphaQup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hahaha Patrick, just cause your friend says so doesn't mean it's automatically the truth. Go with the facts brotha.

Get Penzoil cause its far less pricey than GMFMSM, and it's the "same sh*t" (period) </TD></TR></TABLE>

well until I see a chemical analysis of the two fluids to compare, I'm still not going to believe that the Pennzoil Synchromesh is the same stuff as GM's friction modified synchromesh.

And like I said my friend works at a Chevy dealer and deals with vehicles all the time that specify that fluid from the factory, and I'm pretty sure he's had experiences w/ both brands.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to go to the dealer and pick some of this stuff up as well. My LS cable tranny is kind of stubborn and makes a slight humming noise.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (CRX_1.8T)

Too bad I had to buy three quarts and the third bottle is still almost full. I'd sell it for $10 shipped but they wont let me mail out hazardous materials.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I still maintain that GM's FM stuff is different than what is sold in automotive stores under the Pennzoil name. My friend who is an ASE-certified mechanic at a Chevy dealer and gets me my Synchromesh fluid, he used to use it in his turbo Eclipse when he had it, and he tells me that the Pennzoil stuff is not as good as GM's Synchromesh Friction Modified.

And don't worry, he's not trying to "get me to buy GM's stuff" or make any money or anything, he gets it to me at his cost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt know GM was makeing their oils now a days...... When did they get their own oil refineary?

They arnt.

Its the same ****. The gm name seems to add a bit of comfort apparently. Gm is outsorceing the product to pennzoil for them to bottle it for them...

Want an example? Look at other dealerships... Fords Motorcraft oil. Bottled by another oil company(forgot which one) same thing with mopar.

Its the same ****, Your basis for testing is what you felt better at the time. Theres other variables Like temperature of the transmission can be one. aka thickness of the oil.

Ive notived my transmission will shift better when its real good and warm outside, and not so well others, get what i mean?

I guarantee you if you were to get an chemical analysis done of the fluids its the same ****, the same **** everyone is wasteing their money on for the gm name.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well until I see a chemical analysis of the two fluids to compare, I'm still not going to believe that the Pennzoil Synchromesh is the same stuff as GM's friction modified synchromesh.

And like I said my friend works at a Chevy dealer and deals with vehicles all the time that specify that fluid from the factory, and I'm pretty sure he's had experiences w/ both brands.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Chemical analysis or NO chemical analysis, if you spent the time to research this topic into detail, Penzoil states clearly that their name brand "Synchromesh" fluid contains friction modified additives, just like GMFMSM.

And who makes GMFMSM??... we all know that right, Penzoil

Your friend works for Chevy, of course they're going to use GM specified sh*t for their work. Just like every other dealership out there that uses their NAME BRAND sh*t, ie. Honda MTF, Mopar, GMFMSM, etc. These products are made by different big name petroleum product companies, and then distributed to car manufacturers to sell. This way the car manufacturers make money and the petroleum companies make even more money. It's all about the money.

Why do you think GM sells their GMFMSM for so much? To make up for the cost from Penzoil. Like I said before, don't waste your $$ on GMFMSM, when you can get the same exact sh*t from Penzoil for a fraction of the cost. (this doesn't pertain to you PatrickGSR, if your getting your GMFMSM for the price they get it from Penzoil. )
Old 01-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, so what if Pennzoil's Synchromesh fluid is the same as GM's Friction Modified Synchromesh fluid. Then what does Pennzoil sell that is equal to GM's regular synchromesh fluid? Pennzoil only sells one synchromesh fluid, and it would seem quite likely that it's the same as GM's regular SM, and GM's FMSM is different.

If not, then are you saying that both of GM's SM fluids are actually the same stuff? The wouldn't legally be able to label the FM type differently and sell it at a higher price, I don't think.

Or, is Pennzoil's SM meant to be a replacement for BOTH types of GM fluid? Hmm I'm not too fond of stuff that tries to be a "universal" replacement for more than one thing. If I'm not going to use the GM brand fluid, then I would want something specifically designed to replace that particular fluid, and not something that's just a general replacement for several different kinds.

So, I THINK that the Pennzoil fluid is probably the same as GM's regular synchromesh, and until I see some hard proof otherwish, I shall continue to believe as such.

*edit* and for the record, my transmission shifts VERY smoothly in all temperatures, from 10 to 105 deg. F, even with 190K on it.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ lol damn man I'm not gonna argue with you anymore. You skull's as thick as mine haha. Anywho, the answer is simple my brotha. Penzoil Synchromesh is FRICTION MODIFIED. Regular GMSM is not FRICTION MODIFIED. So therefor:

Penzoil Synchromesh = GM"FM"SM

There is no arguement bro. Lets leave it at the facts.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pennzoil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid is a synchromesh transmission fluid designed for certain manual transaxles and manual transmissions used by General Motors or Chrysler. Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid is formulated with high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions. This product will satisfactorily lubricate General Motors or Chrysler manual transaxles and transmissions from -40°C to +150°C.

Benefits:

- Exhibits excellent low temperature performance
- Meets GM Specification 9985648 and Chrylser Specification MS-9224
- Suitable for use in GM manual transaxles and transmissions requiring GM Part No. 12345349 or 12345577
- Suitable for use in Chrylser transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464
- Excellent synchronizer performance
- Excellent yellow metal compatibility
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, it's a replacement for GM's regular synchromesh fluid (part# 12345349). However I don't know what that 12345577 is. My FM SM bottles say 12377916 on them, just like the pic in the original post on the rectangular bottle.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all a gimmick. GM has to make money somehow.

"A post on the message board at http://www.oilanalysis.com found Synchromesh (PENZOIL) to consist of a 5W30 non-detergent oil with a <U>friction modifer</U> and an EP (extreme pressure) additive. It is made under contract for General Motors by Pennzoil (APC 3378) or by Texaco (Code 1874 MTX Fluid)."

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlphaQup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Penzoil Synchromesh = GM"FM"SM </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AlphaQup, I know what you're trying to say and the answer can be confusing. Let me clear this up for you.

Pennzoil Synchromesh does use a Friction Modifier.
GM Synchromesh Regular also uses a Friction Modifier.
GM Synchromesh Friction Modified is a modified version of the regular fluid.

Basically, a Friction ModifieR is not the same as Friction ModifieD.

Pennzoil sells the Friction ModifieD to Dealers but not in Auto parts stores.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Calsonic)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641177

Ok lets look at this also..
Old 01-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Penzoil Synchromesh - where can i get this and how much??
Old 01-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (illifili)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illifili &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Penzoil Synchromesh - where can i get this and how much??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your local Autozone. Roughly $5 a bottle.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Calsonic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Calsonic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Basically, a Friction ModifieR is not the same as Friction ModifieD.

Pennzoil sells the Friction ModifieD to Dealers but not in Auto parts stores.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao

From what I understand, something that is modified, is done by a what.... you guessed it, a modifier.

Same sh*t y0! How many more excuses are there? lol
Old 01-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlphaQup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lmao

From what I understand, something that is modified, is done by a what.... you guessed it, a modifier.

Same sh*t y0! How many more excuses are there? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've read several threads about the Friction Modifier and GM's Friction Modified Synchromesh. People are all saying they are NOT the same products. Only the Pennzoil Synchromesh is the same is the Regular GM Synchromesh. You are the only one who's saying that the Pennzoil Synchromesh is the same as the GM Friction Modified Synchromesh.

Do a search for Friction Modifier and Friction Modified. It's not the same.