Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
ATX96coupe
Garage is empty, add now

iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to ATX96coupe
Default how to subdue the "rice sound"

alrighty, i've got a 96 coupe (f22b1) and i had a question about how to subdue the buzzing rice sound that comes from my exhaust pipe. the engine note that i hear from the inside of the car sounds awesome, but if youre on the outside, you can hear a real bad buzzing sound, and i hate it. alright here's the set up:

stock exhaust manifold---------cat------(replaced factory resonator with straight pipe--------magnaflow muffler (the round body flow through one with a nice tip welded to it).

by the way its using all the stock piping and that rear muffler is welded in place of the stock one.

alright, if i replace that straight pipe with some sort of glasspack (i think the stock resonator is a fiberglass one anyway) or any sort of universal flow-through muffler, ya'll think that would do its part in helping get a "not so rice" sound? any imput would help. thanks
Mark
ATX96coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #2
sj993
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via ICQ to sj993 Send a message via AIM to sj993
Default Re: how to subdue the "rice sound" (ATX96coupe)

Well I'd get a cat-back exhaust that is relatively quiet like Apexi or something to that effect. Of course nothing is as quiet as stock.
sj993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
ATX96coupe
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: how to subdue the "rice sound" (sj993)

yeah that would all be gravy and everything, except that was not what i was asking. i was asking for an inexpensive solution for this, and if what i proposed was a good solution or not. i dont wnana spend 400 dollars or more to get relatively the same sound as 20 dollars for a 24" glasspack(i know it wont sound the same but im talking about volume and getting rid of that rasp). thanks
Mark
Old 10-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
RUBZERK
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to RUBZERK

Remove the bottom side heat shield from your exhaust, part between the pipe & the ground
#1 Quote EVER, originally posted by RUBZERK ...... "you can't argue with my .9mm ....... well,you can, but you'll end up bleeding alot"
*AREYOUBZERK* ???
RUBZERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
Sublime95
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: how to subdue the "rice sound" (RUBZERK)

I believe a glasspack will amplify the sound. That sound comes with owning a Honda, personally it doesn't bother me. Most 4 cylinder engines make that sound. Maybe a silencer to put on your muffler?

Sublime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
yeamans17
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to yeamans17
Default Re: how to subdue the "rice sound" (Sublime95)

almost every time you throw a modified muffler onto a set of stock pipes your gonna get a ricy sound, i would just go with the cat back, it will sound much better
yeamans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:23 PM   #7
ATX96coupe
Garage is empty, add now

Default Re: how to subdue the "rice sound" (yeamans17)

so not even throwing something it that would work as a resonator would mellow it out? oh well, do you think it would hurt to spend 45 bucks on a moroso spiral flow muffler? it is like 18" long and it has baffles on the inside like motorcycle pipes that helps control sound but actually says doesnt increase backpressure at all. oh well, lots of stuff out there, i'll research a little bit
Mark
Old 10-09-2004, 08:30 PM   #8
pyrojeff
Honda-Tech Member
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to pyrojeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX96coupe
alrighty, i've got a 96 coupe (f22b1) and i had a question about how to subdue the buzzing rice sound that comes from my exhaust pipe. the engine note that i hear from the inside of the car sounds awesome, but if youre on the outside, you can hear a real bad buzzing sound, and i hate it. alright here's the set up:

stock exhaust manifold---------cat------(replaced factory resonator with straight pipe--------magnaflow muffler (the round body flow through one with a nice tip welded to it).

by the way its using all the stock piping and that rear muffler is welded in place of the stock one.

alright, if i replace that straight pipe with some sort of glasspack (i think the stock resonator is a fiberglass one anyway) or any sort of universal flow-through muffler, ya'll think that would do its part in helping get a "not so rice" sound? any imput would help. thanks
Mark
There's your answer.

'94 CD7 F22B2 -- Sold
16.14 @ 85.85 mph ... Accord power!
pyrojeff is offline   Reply With Quote

submit to reddit

Tags
honda, muffler, rice, sound, subdue