Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Rollbar Legality

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rollbar Legality

Originally Posted by NHRA rulebook
Vehicles running 11.00 to 11.49 in the 1/4-mile or 7.00 to 7.35 in the 1/8-mile (including those with T-tops), convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49 (7.00 to 8.25), and dune-buggy-type vehicles running 12.00 and slower are required to have a roll bar installed in the vehicle.
Ok fair enough. Here lies my question...

Originally Posted by NHRA Rulebook
If you’re working with a car with an OEM frame, the roll bar/cage must be attached to the frame, while in unibody cars (which make up most late model cars), a 6-inch square steel plate measuring 1/8-inch thick must be welded to the floor as a base for each bar that makes its point of contact inside the car. Bolted-in bars require a pair of 6-inch steel plates — one underneath and one above, with four 3/8-inch bolts through the rocker sill to hold the two plates together.
So does the rollbar need to be welded in, or can it be bolted in? The wording seems vague there. I have an Autopower cage but I'm debating whether to use it or not, and if I can just bolt it in or if it needs to be welded.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rollbar Legality

According to the second quote you can do either option.

1. Weld the 6"x6"x1/8" plates at the end of each bar (points). And then weld the bars to that plate

2. Two 6"x6"x1/8" plates one inside the car One underneath the car on each point and you drill holes for four 3/8" bolts for each plate.

Option one is permanent and requires less materials. Option two is just as good according to NHRA specs and is removable but you will have minimum of 16 holes drilled through your car.

Not sure if this answers your question.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

autopower bar will not work. needs a door bar on the drivers side and the plates that the autopower comes with are tiny.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93ericSi
According to the second quote you can do either option.

1. Weld the 6"x6"x1/8" plates at the end of each bar (points). And then weld the bars to that plate

2. Two 6"x6"x1/8" plates one inside the car One underneath the car on each point and you drill holes for four 3/8" bolts for each plate.

Option one is permanent and requires less materials. Option two is just as good according to NHRA specs and is removable but you will have minimum of 16 holes drilled through your car.

Not sure if this answers your question.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It can be bolted in if you use 4x 3/8ths bolts (or greater) with the bar welded to a 6"x6" 1/8" thick plate, and a matching plate on the bottom of the car, to sandwich the car essentially.

Tech usually doesnt start getting pissy with cage cert and spec until you hit 9.99/135mph. So if you dont plan on going super fast, you can probably get away with a bolt in SCCA style bar.

Safety wise is it the best idea? I think more road race cars crash than drag cars, and its SCCA legal. IDK. lol?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by welfarepc

Tech usually doesnt start getting pissy with cage cert and spec until you hit 9.99/135mph.
they didnt go nuts over my 6 point, just made sure it was securely in there and that my 5pt harness was mounted properly to it.

i think you need a 5pt(door bar), which to my understanding has to pass between your shoulder and elbow when seated in the car
Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, thats what the rule states. But it really only becomes an issue when you are getting the local HNRA tech to certify your cage with a serial number and a tech book.

Not so much an issue when you go through tech at the track to run some passes.

If you have a door bar on the drivers side, even if its the wrong diameter/thickness/location, most local techs at tracks are not that crazy and hardcore to deny you to race. But then again, all tracks are different.

Our local track, which is pretty stingy with rules and very hard on any car with a 10 point cage, is pretty loose with cars with 5/6 points.