Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

1992 honda prelude, hard to shift.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 honda prelude, hard to shift.

Ok, first thing is don't get confused about the title. My honda gets hard to shift when it's warmed up, but not in the sense that it's hard to go in gear or get out of gear. It does that just fine, but after it's warmed up the stick gets hard to move. When the car is cold after sitting all night the stick will be in the neutral position, ok say I go to the left without putting it in first gear and let go, it goes back to the center like normal. But when the car has been running for at least 10-15 minutes and it's nice and warm the stick is hard to move in the sense that if it's in the center neutral position and if I go to the left and let go it stays there. If I go right towards 5th it will stay there. Goes in and out of gear well, but the stick itself is hard to move. Clutch system is fine. Slave cylinder works well, just replaced the master cylinder a week ago and bled the system correctly. Seems almost like the cables are getting heated from the exhaust and getting hard to move? My honda does have aftermarket exhaust, but the factory heat shields are still in place so it shouldn't be affected. I'm stumped because I can't find any info anywhere, anybody who has any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: 1992 honda prelude, hard to shift.

I would say you are correct in the sense that its getting warm. I'd get under there and check it out. it may be obivious when you inspect it. Second not that this is the issue but in my older civic hatch (had the rods instead of cables) It got really stiff and to the point it didnt wanna shift after a clutch change. come to find out the tranny oil was low and just so happen to start sticking after the clutch change. but regardless I changed my tranny oil with 10w 40 motor oil. sounds dumb but It shifted 2x as good as it ever had after that. just a thought
Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldieWang
I would say you are correct in the sense that its getting warm. I'd get under there and check it out. it may be obivious when you inspect it. Second not that this is the issue but in my older civic hatch (had the rods instead of cables) It got really stiff and to the point it didnt wanna shift after a clutch change. come to find out the tranny oil was low and just so happen to start sticking after the clutch change. but regardless I changed my tranny oil with 10w 40 motor oil. sounds dumb but It shifted 2x as good as it ever had after that. just a thought
Yea I work at an auto shop so I have access to all kinda of tools and multiple lifts. Anyway I have looked at it, nothing obvious. The tranny fluid is a little over a year old with less than 10,000 miles on it so that's not it, acted the same after I serviced the tranny. I did like you and put in 10w-40 motor oil. You just made me think though, I've never messed with the tranny other than servicing it and replacing a couple seals, but the guy who had it before me put this tranny in there from a different lude and put an xtd clutch in it. Anyway I know he was an idiot because he put the wrong damn output shaft seals in it so it was leaking like a ****, and to top it off they put automatic transmission fluid in it. Well, I've corrected the seals and the fluid, but I wonder if maybe they screwed something up internally? Idk because it's backwards from what you'd expect, it's easy to move when cold, but hard to move when hot. I really don't know, this must be an oddball situation because I can't seem to find anybody with a similar problem and like I said, the clutch system works fine. It confuses the heck outta me haha
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

When it gets warm everything expands. im no more than an at home mechanic but maybe the auto fluid gummed it up. id try changing the fluid a couple times with a good long drive in between each change. or pull your shift boot maybe the shifter itself needs a lil lube lol