Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

DIY- 01-02 civic manual cluster to 03-05 cluster swap

Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY- 01-02 civic manual cluster to 03-05 cluster swap

03 ex cluster the same for 04-05 ex cluster. Im new to this world of honda
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Spazz-EM2
03 ex cluster the same for 04-05 ex cluster. Im new to this world of honda
Yes. That's why the title of this thread refers to the two separate eras as "01-02" and "03-05".
Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Trial User

Just did the swap in my 2001 ex sedan. Put in the 03-05 ex coupe cluster following the 2003 ex diagram listed above. Everything so far works fine. All gauges and lights work, and no sensors are on.

However, I did tape off a White/Red wire from the Blue connector not needed? and didn't have a Green/Black wire to place in the blue connector.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, couldn't get the 05 cluster to work in the 2002 civic lx after doing the correct re-pinning on the wiring harnesses.

Went to throw the original cluster back and and return the wiring harnesses to stock form.

It turns out my civic is slightly different than the "original" diagrams posted in the original post.

I think that evhthing is working correctly but the the cluster will not light up.

Does anyone know what wire this is and what pin number it would go into on which connector?

Or even better would be the wiring diagrams for the cluster harnesses on a manual 2002 civic lx 4 door

Please help guys!! Thankyiu!!!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Trial User

If I do this swap for my 05 VP with a Auto trans will I gain the Tach that I do not currently have?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Long live the cluster swap thread!!

Anyways I just did this swap. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. The "before" diagrams are a bit incomplete. But once you tear into the harness you'll find all the wires you need to make it look like the "after" diagrams.

Despite having an ABS wire in the harness (blue/red), my car does not have ABS. So the light was on when I tested everything. I just did what a previous poster suggested by grounding the ABS wire to the chassis. ABS light turned off and everything works.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone show a wiring table from a 01 civic ex coupe to a 05 civic lx sedan(blue gauge) or will this still work

is the 03 gauge wiring the exact same as the 05 gauge wiring?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GriFFIthS
i couldnt wait, lol

So i took a day off yesturday and decided to install my new cluster.

Anyway The Old cluster, basic 2001 civic dx crappy cluster, the New Cluster was from a 2004 Civic LX Sedan

So heres the old, Note how shitty it looks, lol

De-pinning was EASY, i used a paper clip, took no more than 10 minutes to have all the wires out of the 2 plugs. Yellow/black wire from the fuel sending unit needed to be lengthened to reach the blue plug, thats the thick yellow wire you see on the left.

And here it is all Finished, all wires are in there new home. In case anyone is wondering, the yellow wire going to the blue is the fuel wire like mentioned before, And the other yellow wire thats leaving the green and going back into the dash is for my ABS light, My car doesnt have ABS, however the SI & LX's did and so did their clusters, So even though i have the wire for ABS (blue/red) my abs light would still come on in the new cluster, so what i did was pop in a t-splice in the blue/red wire and run that yellow wire through the case where i grounded it to the chassis, and the light went out. happy me.

And 2 hours after i started, here is the finished result, IMO it was money, time and effort well spent.

And a side Note The Green/black wire in the blue plug is not required, not sure what it5 does but if you dont have it seriously do not worry about it. And the red/white wire in the green plug just take that rool it up and tape it with electric tape, and tuck it away to the side, you dont need that either. And if your in canada like me, you will notice you have 2 pink wires, the one thats in your green plug is for the Washer fluid warning light(you will find alot of american forums and DIY's will stat the wire should be red/white as it shows on many wiring charts, but its not, its pink in all canadian dx's, also the DRL's are controlled by the white/blue wire in slot 13 in your green plug, that wire doesnt move, leave it where it is. And if after you plut the cluster in and you now have a ABS light on in the new cluster, dont do what many other did and take the cluster apart to put tape over it, its alot easier and safer to run a bit of wire from the abs wire and attach it to the chassis as a groud, the light will remain off.

So if you followed the directions, and put the wires in the right place, and DISCONNECTED your neg batter line before you started then you will not have any issues with this job. very easy if you follow the steps and not cut corners. I didnt blow any fuses and everything works exactly as it did before i started.

My new cluster has 14,000 km's more than the old, But i was able to get a Letter from the Honda Dealer here stating i changed the cluster and noted the difference in the km's.
did you use this wiring diagram for your new cluster
Old 06-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're doing a 03-05 manual cluster to a 01-02 manual car then yes follow the wiring diagram in the original post. If you're doing auto, I'm not quite sure how to wire that.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no its auto i am trying to swap from the 01 gauge to the 05 sedan gauge do you know where i can find a wiring diagram for this
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the wireing the same if i do this to my 2001 ex? i need a answer please im picking up my new 05 sedan cluster on wednesday
Old 08-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Trial User

Just wanted to comment and say this writeup worked beautifully for me. I have an 01 EX Sedan auto, purchased an 03 sedan auto cluster. Following the pin diagram i only had 1 wire left over (White/Red) which i taped up and out of the way. Cluster works beautifully and no lights on!! I did disconnect the negative battery cable beforehand to avoid any blown fuses.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: DIY- 01-02 civic manual cluster to 03-05 cluster swap

Hi there,

Done this swap kind of successful everything works fine except my rear fog light.
I have 3 wires left that don't go in to anything and I have a feeling one of those is supposed to be plugged in for the rear fog light to work.
So basically when I try to switch on the rear fog light nothing happens no light on the cluster lights up nor does the rear fog light turn on.

All the fuses are checked and none are blown.

Anyone that can help me it would be highly appreciate since I have a yearly MOT test coming up soon.

Thank you!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need wiring diagram for your car and for donor car.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys. I have problem because I can't turn on rear fog lamp after cluster swap. Which pin do I have to replace ?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Genax93
Hey guys. I have problem because I can't turn on rear fog lamp after cluster swap. Which pin do I have to replace ?
Hi Genax.
I don`t ever tuned my cluster, but i tryed to find a answer on your question , using over forum :
suppose that rear fog lamp is avtivating by wht/Red pin,
Wht pin is for indicating of Fog lamp,

Overwhile, Yel\Red and Yel\Blue colors perhaps for AT or Signaling.
Look at first message in this post to find No17 Pin for Red\wht .
Cheers, Eugene
Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evan Sawatzky
no its auto i am trying to swap from the 01 gauge to the 05 sedan gauge do you know where i can find a wiring diagram for this
Hey guys,
did somebody saw this, i am in the same situation i would like to know how to wire the 2005 ex auto cluster in a 2001 ex auto civic

Originally Posted by PunkNasty
Just wanted to comment and say this writeup worked beautifully for me. I have an 01 EX Sedan auto, purchased an 03 sedan auto cluster. Following the pin diagram i only had 1 wire left over (White/Red) which i taped up and out of the way. Cluster works beautifully and no lights on!! I did disconnect the negative battery cable beforehand to avoid any blown fuses.
hey man, can you tell me which diagram you used to rewire yours ? Any link any image of that?

Last edited by toyomatt84; 11-30-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:35 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Both of those users haven't logged in since 2014.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 2004 dx value package i bought a 03-05 ex cluster from ebay its the 3 face one with the red rings around the faces anyway when i plugged it in i had no power do i have to re wire the conncetors to get ir to work

update 12/30/17 i did the swap followed the diagrams tach works temp and fuel work my speedo doesnot had that issue with old cluster abs light on but my bar does not have abs and my oil light is on any one else have the issue of the oil light coming on apparently when i turm my headlights on the oil light turns off lol

Last edited by Tank_EM2; 12-30-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is an 01 civic ex, so I am curious, has anyone else had issues with their tach not working? at first when I installed the new cluster the tach came on but said I was idling around 2500-3000rpm. I unplugged it all and plugged it back in and now nothing... also I have a white/red wire that doesn't have a spot anymore according to the new diagram. and lastly did anyone with an aftermarket sub and amp notice the sub acting up??? please any help would be great.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY- 01-02 civic manual cluster to 03-05 cluster swap.

Originally Posted by stinkypinky1011
DIY- 01-02 civic manual cluster to 03-05 cluster swap.

Go from the top one to the bottom one. i went from a 02 ex coupe cluster to a 05 lx cluster from a 4 door, the blue ring one. but i think it doesnt matter what model the cluster comes from

Attachment 485976

This swap is pretty easy once you get the hang of how you are suppose to get the wires out of each connector. The swap took like an hour and 10 min., but is not that hard.

Tools needed.

1) Philips screwdriver
2) wire cutters/strippers
3) black electrical tape
4) a razor blade
5) a jumbo size paper clip, this is to take out the wire from the connectors, you can also use a safety pin or a sewing needle but it will be a little bit harder to use cause of the size. the jumbo paper clip is the perfect size and makes life much easier, trust me i tried everything.

STEP 1
remove plastic from around the cluster.

there are two screws on the top remove them and it should come out with little force. it helps may to take the top cover off of your steering Colum. to do that take screw driver or your hand and push up on it. it will release from its tabs. be careful not to break the tabs.

STEP 2
remove cluster

there are three screws holding it in. one on top and two on each side on the bottom. remove them and the cluster is ready to come out. then pull the two plugs from it. a green one and a blue one. then put the cluster aside you will not need it any more because a better one will be replacing it.

STEP 3
take both connectors apart. start with the green one first. i did but its up to you .

on the top and bottom of the connectors at the part where the wires go in, you will see a very small gap. If you use your finger nail or the tip of a razor like i did, push it in the gap and attempt to pry up, do this with care, cause if you break it your wire may not stay in place once you put them back. it should release from its tabs and come free. then just fold it back. do this on both connectors on both sides. there is a top and a bottom to each connector. after you have them open then come the part that takes the most time removing the wires from the connectors.

STEP 4
remove wires from connector. ONE connector at a time green first.

this part is tricky but once you get one out the rest come easy.
insert the jumbo size paper or safety pin in the top hole of the wire you need to remove. do this from the front side. its the bigger of the two holes. insert the paper clip at a slight angle down pointing towards the middle of the connector. as you slide it in you will feel it drop down a little, once it does push a little, it doesn’t take much force at all so don’t force it. you will hear a click sound, that’s the wire coming out the tab inside the connector. then try to take that wire out it should come free, if not try it again. this take time so don’t get upset if you don’t get it the first time. once you get all the wires out the connector you ready reorder them.

STEP 5
repining the connectors.

back to the green connector first. there is a bunch of wires that need to be switched from the blue connector to the green one a one wire from the green to the blue one. the yellow wire with the black stripe is the fuel sending wire. this is the only wire that requires an extension to the be wired to the blue connector. remove it and tuck it away or put a piece of tape on it so you wont forget about it until we are ready for blue connector.

here are some diagrams of the green connector of what it looked like and what it needs to look like when your done. Done worry about the 04 vp and 03 ex on the diagrams. The bottom one is what it looks like when you took it out. You need to make it look like the top one. You will notice the there are a few wire on the top one the are not on the bottom one that’s because those wire are on the blue connector and need to be moved to the green one and those are on the top diagram # 2, 5, 19, 14, 12, 11

Attachment 485977

STEP 6
Wire the blue plug. The bottom one is how it looked when you took it out ,the top is how you it needs to look like, you will have one wire that is not used and on the cart I think in the cart it green/orange but I think the wire is yellow with another color, just tape that wire up and tuck it away. Here is the diagram for the blue plug.

Attachment 485978

STEP 7
After all the wire are back into the connector, connect it and test to see everything work. If it does you and start putting everything back into and enjoy.

Hope this helps, do have a camera so no pics. I’ll try to get one from a friend, then I’ll post some.

Modified by stinkypinky1011 at 10:01 AM 1/24/2008
Lol, 15/04/2020 I just did it on my 02 Civic, working perfectly, thanks although I do not think you receive it hahaha
Old 08-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by stinkypinky1011
DIY- 01-02 civic manual cluster to 03-05 cluster swap.

Go from the top one to the bottom one. i went from a 02 ex coupe cluster to a 05 lx cluster from a 4 door, the blue ring one. but i think it doesnt matter what model the cluster comes from

Attachment 485976

This swap is pretty easy once you get the hang of how you are suppose to get the wires out of each connector. The swap took like an hour and 10 min., but is not that hard.

Tools needed.

1) Philips screwdriver
2) wire cutters/strippers
3) black electrical tape
4) a razor blade
5) a jumbo size paper clip, this is to take out the wire from the connectors, you can also use a safety pin or a sewing needle but it will be a little bit harder to use cause of the size. the jumbo paper clip is the perfect size and makes life much easier, trust me i tried everything.

STEP 1
remove plastic from around the cluster.

there are two screws on the top remove them and it should come out with little force. it helps may to take the top cover off of your steering Colum. to do that take screw driver or your hand and push up on it. it will release from its tabs. be careful not to break the tabs.

STEP 2
remove cluster

there are three screws holding it in. one on top and two on each side on the bottom. remove them and the cluster is ready to come out. then pull the two plugs from it. a green one and a blue one. then put the cluster aside you will not need it any more because a better one will be replacing it.

STEP 3
take both connectors apart. start with the green one first. i did but its up to you .

on the top and bottom of the connectors at the part where the wires go in, you will see a very small gap. If you use your finger nail or the tip of a razor like i did, push it in the gap and attempt to pry up, do this with care, cause if you break it your wire may not stay in place once you put them back. it should release from its tabs and come free. then just fold it back. do this on both connectors on both sides. there is a top and a bottom to each connector. after you have them open then come the part that takes the most time removing the wires from the connectors.

STEP 4
remove wires from connector. ONE connector at a time green first.

this part is tricky but once you get one out the rest come easy.
insert the jumbo size paper or safety pin in the top hole of the wire you need to remove. do this from the front side. its the bigger of the two holes. insert the paper clip at a slight angle down pointing towards the middle of the connector. as you slide it in you will feel it drop down a little, once it does push a little, it doesn’t take much force at all so don’t force it. you will hear a click sound, that’s the wire coming out the tab inside the connector. then try to take that wire out it should come free, if not try it again. this take time so don’t get upset if you don’t get it the first time. once you get all the wires out the connector you ready reorder them.

STEP 5
repining the connectors.

back to the green connector first. there is a bunch of wires that need to be switched from the blue connector to the green one a one wire from the green to the blue one. the yellow wire with the black stripe is the fuel sending wire. this is the only wire that requires an extension to the be wired to the blue connector. remove it and tuck it away or put a piece of tape on it so you wont forget about it until we are ready for blue connector.

here are some diagrams of the green connector of what it looked like and what it needs to look like when your done. Done worry about the 04 vp and 03 ex on the diagrams. The bottom one is what it looks like when you took it out. You need to make it look like the top one. You will notice the there are a few wire on the top one the are not on the bottom one that’s because those wire are on the blue connector and need to be moved to the green one and those are on the top diagram # 2, 5, 19, 14, 12, 11

Attachment 485977

STEP 6
Wire the blue plug. The bottom one is how it looked when you took it out ,the top is how you it needs to look like, you will have one wire that is not used and on the cart I think in the cart it green/orange but I think the wire is yellow with another color, just tape that wire up and tuck it away. Here is the diagram for the blue plug.

Attachment 485978

STEP 7
After all the wire are back into the connector, connect it and test to see everything work. If it does you and start putting everything back into and enjoy.

Hope this helps, do have a camera so no pics. I’ll try to get one from a friend, then I’ll post some.

Modified by stinkypinky1011 at 10:01 AM 1/24/2008
was there any lights on? Did the temp and gas gauge work proper?
Old 12-12-2020, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks to you guys I did this rewiring today lol the mileage on this is 200+ k lower than mine tho 😂 how do I get rid of that airbag light? 👀

Old 10-17-2023, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: DIY- 01-02 civic manual cluster to 03-05 cluster swap

does anyone know if you can tell if your cluster is vp or ex because I got mine from a local junkyard and it was and lx not sure what year but it was regular lx manual from 03-05 and my civic is 2001 honda civic lx