Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Strange Groaning noise coming from the drivers front wheel area

Old 04-13-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Groaning noise coming from the drivers front wheel area

On the way home from work yesterday I noticed a strange groaning noise when I turned into my parking space. I heard it today at work turning into the parking garage. After lunch I had a few people stand around while I drove around the garage and we determined that the noise is coming from the drivers front wheel area. This noise is kind of noticeable making left hand turns and REALLY noticeable making right turns. Either way it sounds like it's coming from the wheel area and only happens when turning. The harder I turn, the louder the noise is. I read this thread about the steering column bushing needing to be lubed but the noise I hear seems to come from the wheel well not the engine bay so I'm kind of discounting that for now.

I've got 42k on the car. I did remove P/S and loop the lines over a year ago so I'm hoping it's not my rack. It doesn't make the noise if I just turn the wheel though, it only happens when I'm moving. Any ideas? I haven't taken the wheel off yet since IÂ’m at work. Think it could be a CV boot/joint or a wheel bearing?

Please help me out.

jeff
Old 04-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Strange Groaning noise coming from the drivers front wheel area (pyromaster)

My first thought would be that the tire is rubbing the fender liner ...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strange Groaning noise coming from the drivers front wheel area (pyromaster)

I bet it's the PS rack. Mine makes the noise sometimes when I'm making a hard turn & it's cold.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oddly enough, my Tacoma just started making this noise.. i haven't had time to take it apart and determine the problem though.. exactly the same as yours though..

i'd love to know if you find out the cause..

<-- also hoping it's not the rack..
Old 04-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably ran over a troll.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:45 AM
* B A N N E D *

ARR THE TROLLS ARE ABOUT!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only happen when going slow? what about normal driving while turning at side streets and whatnot? axle boots leaking at all?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2)

Mine just started doing it recently. I'm guessing it something to do with powersteering.
My se-r auto-x car does it when its low on powersteering fluid. I haven't checked the fluid in the ITR.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the groaning was anything like mine...well, lets just say, my wheel bearing eventually gave out completely.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Strange Groaning noise coming from the drivers front wheel area (zygspeed)

OK I just drove it home from work and only heard it in the parking garage and turning into my parking space. When I get back this week I'll give it a better inspection. Hopefully it's warmer than too. Why the hell it's in the mid 30s in mid April is beyond me. To address specific stuff below:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first thought would be that the tire is rubbing the fender liner ...</TD></TR></TABLE>
fender liner looks OK and there seems to be plenty of clearance in the wheel well

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only happen when going slow? what about normal driving while turning at side streets and whatnot? axle boots leaking at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I listened as well as I could while driving home and I didn't hear anything until I pulled into my parking space. Seems to be only if I make a very sharp turn. I made a few 90 degree turns on the way home and didn't hear anything. When I get back from Knox maybe I'll try some sharp turns in a parking lot. I'll jack it up nad look at the axle boots etc this weekend when i get back

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cosworth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet it's the PS rack. Mine makes the noise sometimes when I'm making a hard turn & it's cold.</TD></TR></TABLE>
hmmm Well, it has been colder here the last couple of days but not THAT cold.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EauRouge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the groaning was anything like mine...well, lets just say, my wheel bearing eventually gave out completely.</TD></TR></TABLE>
hmmm. what other symptoms did you have? When did you hear the groaning? I honestly would rather deal with getting a new bearing pressed in than mess with the steering rack
Old 04-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine makes the same noise... it's definitely a troll
Old 04-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pyromaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm. what other symptoms did you have? When did you hear the groaning?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I first heard the noise after a track event. Had some people look at it then, and it was diagnosed as something other than wheel bearing. The consensus was it might be brakes since it did not make the typical bad bearing tick. I did the usual jack the wheel up and check to see if there was any bearing play. Everything seemed fine.

The noise I heard was like a metal groan (if that makes sense). Noise lasted about 1-2 weeks before going away. It was especially audible during braking, when moving slowly, or during turns (when pulling out of a parking space or making a quick turn). I did change the rotors and pads to eliminate the possibility of the noise recurring, but it came back a few days later. Then a week later the wheel bearing completely gave out. It happened while I was driving home. I could smell something burning. Once I got home, I confirmed the smell was originating from where the noise was coming from, then proceeded to check if there was any bearing play. Sure was this time!!! Funny part was, there was no sign of the typical bad bearing tick.

Next day, went to have the bearing pulled. Outer seal of the side facing inward was cracked open. Apparently all the grease had burned up. Hub almost seized on the bearing from the excessive heat. Broke the handle on the press trying to get the hub out. BTW, had to replace the hub too.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strange Groaning noise coming from the drivers front wheel area (EauRouge)

I forgot to add...I don't have power steering.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

methinks it = wheel bearing.

you neglected to inform the forum that you are a track ***** and road race ****. that car has seen it's fair share of the "pyro" abuse.....

I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in flames. Jack up that corner and wiggle the wheel. I will guarantee you have play.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re:

OK I looked at the car this weekend. I checked the wheel bearing and there was no real play moving the wheel around. The CV boots and axles looked OK also. While the car was jacked up I turned the steering wheel and would spin the tires and didn't hear the noise. I actually cranked it and ran it at ~2000 RPM and didn't hear the noise either.
Also, Friday I heard it on the way to work but not the way home from work, so I really only heard it on Mon and Tues when it was kind of cold and Friday morning. I didn't hear it on the way in today either.

So I'm guessing it's either the PS rack like Cosworth described when it's cold or a bearing issue like EauRouge described. At this point I guess I’ll just wait and see how frequently I hear the noise and keep checking the wheel bearings.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (pyromaster)

Hey Jeff!
Just to add something from a cold weather track ho - I have never had any power steering sound due to the cold. And its quite cold here from november through march. Now... who knows. I guess it COULD be the PS - but I can't recall anyone I know up here having a similar sound from the cold.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (pyromaster)

Just pull the power steering, like me! Schwarzenegger-ize those arms!! Then you'll know what the problem is!!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

.....I went by your car and checked it out on Saturday.

Sorry I didn't come knock on your door, but I was in a hurry. Thanks for keeping an eye on my g-ride, y0!

Anyway, your front left wheel has more play than your front right one (bearing-wise). Not insanely so, but about as much as mine had when I replaced the wheel bearing.

Food for thought.....
Old 05-27-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Re:

bringing this one back from the dead with the resolution

the next week after Kenny looked at my car Cosworth and I checked it and there was serious play in the wheel. Replaced the wheel bearing and everything has been groovy since. Thanks to all for the help and advice and to Baranco for the parts and pressing the bearing out of the knuckle for me.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Strange Groaning noise coming from the drivers front wheel area (zygspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first thought would be that the tire is rubbing the fender liner ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

or maybe the wheel bearing??...my brother POS did that. then all the sudden it ould thump a lot.