Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons??

OK kind of a newbie on this but after putting up with with my stock 1996 Civic VTi Sedan. For those who have done this conversion, I need an upgrade and some advice Was thinking of a H22A, too heavy and not enough for my liking performance wise. Considering a B18C...but stumbled on this B20b block and a B16A head. Sounds quite promising. Those who have done this whats the advantage and disadvantages? Its either slapping in th B18C, which is quite rare...specially here down under...but its one full engine or mix and match for this 2L Vtec'd goodness?? What potential does this conversion haver performance and durability wise?? Wouldnt mind running low 13's - low 14s for a 4 door sedan!! *hhhmmmmmmmmm*
Old 05-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons?? (SXY_15H)

crvtec is only as good as the parts you put into it. Swapping a vtec head alone will not give you much benefit. All those b20's that are making big HP you hear about are all fully built. I would go with a b18c swap if I were you. From your location I think getting parts and having them shipped to you might cost too much to justify a build up. Also even if you found the parts... you better find someone who knows what there doing when it comes to modifing non vtec blocks with vtec heads.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:17 AM

Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons?? (SXY_15H)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=501372
you should read this
Old 05-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We ran a B20 Block with Endyne 13:1 Pistons and Eagle rods with a Worked B16a With SkunkII Stage III Cams. In our JDM ITR Honda Challenge car last year for one race... It made 253Whp. However, Due to a design weakness in the B20 Block the bores will not stand the High Compression...They will split. If you use the B20 Block you must re sleeve it. If you do you will have a reliable source of pretty decent Hp.

Good luck,
Kiwi
Old 05-17-2004, 05:17 AM

Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons?? (CRX_VTEC)

KIWI, CRX_VTEC, nickgmiller04...

Thankz for the tips dudez!

Man, before i even get to the nitty gritty of doin up the engine. I gotta build the foundation first heheheee. Guess just like all HONDA freakz..wanna start somewhere. Prolly ur usual traffic light drags. Turn heads and blow away (some) turbo's!! Then of course you're gonna want to have it faster, better engine, better parts etc.

Guess what im trying to say is after I get the CRVTec. Whats the 1st thing to mod to improve performance. I've got my custom extractors and 2inch exhaust with twin tipz on my stocky engine. Its given it a lil more grunt for a stocky auto(yes feel free to laugh...it will be changed with my conversion) B16A. Duely noted are the wea bores not withstanding such high compression. What exactly can be done about this??
Old 05-17-2004, 06:42 AM

Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons?? (KIWI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KIWI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If you use the B20 Block you must re sleeve it. Good luck,
Kiwi
</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you not read the last post??
Old 05-17-2004, 12:05 PM
GSRswapandslow.

all i have to say is....the R/S ratio crap is BULLSHIT....a 1.54 R/S is perfectly fine to 9500 rpm....hell my upcoming engine will be in the 1.4's and it'll never hesitate to running upwards of 9500 daily....

LS/B20/vtec's are GREAT. they are dependable as hell if you take care of it...and will last JUST AS LONG as anyother vtec engine given the same respect.

B20 sleeves are the only downfall of the setup...and that's not an issue until you add considerable boost or really high compression, or a large shot of nitrous. For street cars it's probally the BEST block you can use with stock sleeves because of the added displacement.

A block girdle is the only thing you should REALLY add if you plan on uber high power or constant high rpm driving...but for the most part is NOT needed for a street car. This comes from REAL experience...not hearsay like most ppl's post.

AN LS/B20 crank in a GSR/ITR block is another EXCELLENT engine choice. The 89mm crank going along wiht the girdle and oil squirters is great for dialy driving. It won't be as nice as a b20 setup...but it's a LOT better than anythign with an ITR/GSR crank.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow.)

Thank you so much for giving 'real-world' experience. Good luck with your build, and please keep us posted.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:25 PM
GSRswapandslow.

there will deff be a thread reguarding my new build in the upcoming month or so.....

and also one for my friends B20/vtec
Old 05-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow.)

i have a stock b20 swap with ls intake manifold, gsr t-body, gsr tranny with itr flywheel and the thing is really fun to drive.

i like it as much as a stock gsr setup

just no vtec

if i had hondata, injectors, header and exhaust it would pull really strong

maybe add some mild cams and cam gears

should be 150ish whp but with lots of low end tq
Old 05-17-2004, 07:16 PM

Stock B20z2 shortblock on stock Gsr head. I have RC310 injectors tuned in with a V-AFC, DC intake and header, comptech exhaust. I have been racing and daily driving my swap for three years no with NO problems. It recently put down 171 whp and and turned a 13.97 in my 94 integra. (b16 gears, lightweight flywheel and slicks). It did more than I could have hoped for. This is my first build and would recommend this swap to anyone who loves low end touque and very respectable street speed.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:59 PM

Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons?? (B20JonLee)

yeah i agree with (B20JonLee) very respectible street car and madd low end. my engine is almost complete (fully built street trim) 11.3:1 wiseco pistons, eagle rods, (intake) Jun III cam (exhaust cam broke) , portflow springs\retainers, pnp head & port matched sk2 intake mani. , 68mm tb, and all the lil bolt-on *****.
i ran a 13.7 @ 100mph on 555s with a 2.1 60ft
13.8 @ 100mph on falken azenis with a 2.1 60ft
ef civic si full interior untuned until next week.

Modified by B20vtec81 at 10:55 PM 5/17/2004
Old 05-18-2004, 05:35 AM

Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons?? (B20vtec81)

Dayumz y'all sound like y'all have sweet rides. We dun have much of these here down under. Man we dun even have SiR's here...im better off goin back to Philippines to trash one there! hehehe...

BTW y'all got pics of yo rides/engines? Just curious hehehe
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 PM
Trial User

Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons?? (B20JonLee)

[QUOTE=desert eagle;9829034]yeah i agree with (B20JonLee) very respectible street car and madd low end. my engine is almost complete (fully built street trim) 11.3:1 wiseco pistons, eagle rods, (intake) Jun III cam (exhaust cam broke) , portflow springs\retainers, pnp head & port matched sk2 intake mani. , 68mm tb, and all the lil bolt-on *****.
i ran a 13.7 @ 100mph on 555s with a 2.1 60ft
13.8 @ 100mph on falken azenis with a 2.1 60ft
ef civic si full interior untuned until next week.

Modified by B20vtec81 at 10:55 PM 5/17/2004[/QUOTE
]

Hi i'm from philippines my name is rap im planning to build my b20b block b16a head with a water methanol spray for drag anyone cane help me for some quality loads and ideas...
This engine will run for a cost...
this will help a child who is fighting for cancer
every events we will going to run the price will be given to the child who has a cancer...

thanks and god bless
hope some here can help and give advice for a cost...
Old 02-07-2020, 01:00 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by KIWI
We ran a B20 Block with Endyne 13:1 Pistons and Eagle rods with a Worked B16a With SkunkII Stage III Cams. In our JDM ITR Honda Challenge car last year for one race... It made 253Whp. However, Due to a design weakness in the B20 Block the bores will not stand the High Compression...They will split. If you use the B20 Block you must re sleeve it. If you do you will have a reliable source of pretty decent Hp.

Good luck,
Kiwi
Hi i'm from philippines my name is rap im planning to build my b20b block b16a head with a water methanol spray for drag anyone can help me for some quality second hand parts and ideas...
this build is for a cost..
we will build this engine for our friend's daughter. She is a cancer fighter right now im planning to build this b20b block b16a head to go on track race... and the money to earn will be giving to the patient who is fighting for cancer...
thanks and god bless you all..
Old 02-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Re: B20B block + B16A head = CRVtec..What are the pros and cons??

Interesting.

Having worked in racing for a few years now, there are a few important tenets that get repeated over and over:

”No one has ever put a car on a racetrack because they didn’t have enough money”
”If you want to make a small fortune racing, start with a large one”
”No one has ever made a movie about racing a car to save their neighborhood”

and my favorite, even though it doesn’t fit here,

“You can sleep in a car but you can’t race a house”

How is the money going to be earned by amateur racing? I’m legit interested as this isn’t a thing that’s really available in any economy that I know of.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
Interesting.

Having worked in racing for a few years now, there are a few important tenets that get repeated over and over:

”No one has ever put a car on a racetrack because they didn’t have enough money”
”If you want to make a small fortune racing, start with a large one”
”No one has ever made a movie about racing a car to save their neighborhood”

and my favorite, even though it doesn’t fit here,

“You can sleep in a car but you can’t race a house”

How is the money going to be earned by amateur racing? I’m legit interested as this isn’t a thing that’s really available in any economy that I know of.
its easy he can grudge race for money..

but to get back on track first thing you should do is change rod bolts to arp. I had a b20vtec with arias std bore 12.5:1 pistons tock rods with arp rod bolts a b16 port flow head with supertec valve train and buddy club 4 cans that maid 230whp and lasted over a yr raceing at the track once a month until I spun a bearing and broke a rod. So for a daily a stock bottom end would be fine I would just put rod bolts so you can rev hire so you do have to worry about breaking stock rod bolts
Old 08-26-2021, 11:21 PM
Trial User

I'm building an LSV

B18b1 Obd1 block (Semi-Built)
B16a Head (Fully-Built)
JDM B16 LSD trans (Built)
74mm Turbo
HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve
Tial Wastegate
Custom Piping
Jdm Invidia N1 Full Exhaust
Victor X Intake Manifold
Skunk2 70mm Throttle Body
ID 1000cc Injectors
Hellcat 525 Fuel Pump (Wired to Switch panel)
Custom Turbo Exhaust Manifold
SS Braided Fuel Lines
AN Lines/Fittings/Hoses
Oil Catch Can setup
Full sise Radiator w/ Aluminum Shroud
Dual Electric Slim Fans (Wired to Switch panel)
ACT Stage 3 Clutch Kit & Super Light Weight Flywheel
Short shifter, Hasport shift linkage & bushings
Hasport mounts

What would be any good upgrades besides whats already done??