Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

What causes a relay to buzz? The starter cut relay in perticular.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes a relay to buzz? The starter cut relay in perticular.

When I start my car and the car is completely cold and its cold outside, I get this loud buzzing coming from inside my dash board. The buzzing lasts from anywhere from 1 second to 15 seconds. Once it goes away everything else seems fine.
I first noticed this on the first real cold morning after I got my alarm installed. Maybe a week or two afterwards.

Well I finally found out that its coming from my starter cut relay. It only happens sometimes and when the clutch is in (clutch switch on), as soon as I let out the clutch, it goes off (no power to relay). Also, it never happens again. Only when starting.

I tried a new relay, and it still does it. So the relay's not the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-12-2002, 04:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: What causes a relay to buzz? The starter cut relay in perticular. (Teken)

Teken, thanks for you help, but this could still be the problem w/ the stock relay??
Old 01-13-2002, 07:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: What causes a relay to buzz? The starter cut relay in perticular. (Teken)

What I'm saying is that this problem occuring in the stock starter cut relay. I dont think the relay is the problem, but rather somethign else that is causeing the relay to do this.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but since I installed my TT (not sure if its a coincidence or caused by it), sometimes, mostly when its cold, my alarm clicks (like a relay) when the clutch goes in, then back out. Again, this is from the clutch switch.

Could there be a problem with my clutch switch? Or maybe a pinched wire, or a short or something??? I tried following the wires by the clutch switch but its tight as hell back there. I guess I can take out the underdash fuse box to get a better look......
Old 01-13-2002, 07:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok, tried your test. And the car would NOT start. So I guess thats good. I think I'm gunna take out the fuse box and try to see whats going on back there better.

On an unrelated note (I think it is), is there supposed to be a brown 4 socket connector not connected to anything taped up behind the fuse box? I saw it back there and it caught me by surprise.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-15-2002, 06:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: What causes a relay to buzz? The starter cut relay in perticular. (00SilverLS)

Teken....more help please? What does that test tell me?
Old 01-16-2002, 11:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah, it really only buzzes in the cold. And generally, the colder it is, the longer the buzzing lasts (as long as I dont take my foot off of the clutch).

And yes, this is the factory starter cut (not alarm) relay.

Also, how do I measure load going to the relay? I guess I can measure current across the coil side w/ my multimeter?

Thanks for all your help Teken......I dont know who else to turn to with this.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Re: What causes a relay to buzz? The starter cut relay in perticular. (00SilverLS)

Try just changing the relay for a new one and see what happens...