Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replaced clutch, slave cylinder is now leaking?

Old 03-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced clutch, slave cylinder is now leaking?

I just replaced a clutch and started to bleed the system. Everything was fine then all of a sudden the clutch fluid starts leaking out from the rubber boot at the slave cylinder. Any reasons as to why it suddenly bursted like that? Is there anyway I can fix it or do I need to go out and buy a new slave cylinder? Help.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced clutch, slave cylinder is now leaking? (BG Boost)

Also, the clutch that was replaced, looked pretty new ... however it felt as though the clutch was slipping. Was this all because of a bad slave cylinder?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the pin from the slave cylinder come out when you had it separated from the tranny?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Replaced clutch, slave cylinder is now leaking? (mattssi)

depending on how old your car is (i'm assuming its somewhat aged becuz you're changing the clutch!), it probably wouldn't hurt to just change the slave cylinder anyway, since you got a new clutch..

thats what i did when i changed my clutch on my 92 civic...it was actually because my slave cylinder went bad..so did my clutch master cylinder..but anyways, i got a slave cylider from auto zone for about 12 bucks..and it works fine now.

i know what you're talking about with the new clutch feeling...thats how mine kinda was..just break it in for 500 or so miles, and it should be golden by then.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced clutch, slave cylinder is now leaking? (mattssi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did the pin from the slave cylinder come out when you had it separated from the tranny? </TD></TR></TABLE>

What does the pin look like?

Ahhh...confused now because the clutch that we replaced looked brand new! And now we are thinking it was probably "Slipping" because of an aging master slave cylinder
Old 03-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BG Boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What does the pin look like?

Ahhh...confused now because the clutch that we replaced looked brand new! And now we are thinking it was probably "Slipping" because of an aging master slave cylinder</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's talking about the actuating rod that the piston inside the slave cylinder pushes against the clutch fork.

Sometimes the added load of a new pressure plate can put too much pressure on the slave cylinder seal and cause it to leak. Easiest fix is to get a slave cylinder rebuild kit, which cost under 10 bucks from Napa or wherever. It comes with a new piston, seal and spring. I've had to replace on mine before- this was before I had a handful of good slave cylinders sitting around
Old 03-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced clutch, slave cylinder is now leaking? (Emerika)

Ah that's okay. Problem FIXED! Slave cylinder was the culprit.

Also, couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start up! So I jump started it by connecting the 12v constant to the starter.

The car didn't have a horn however the lights started to blink when I connected the battery. Figured out later that the car had an ALARM SYSTEM with an ignition kill! The owner didn't know he had an alarm.

Anyways, it's all done and runs good
Old 09-21-2004, 08:05 PM

i'm having the same exact problem as he was.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BG Boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, the clutch that was replaced, looked pretty new ... however it felt as though the clutch was slipping. Was this all because of a bad slave cylinder?</TD></TR></TABLE>

can anyone answer this question? i'd like to know also, b/c this is my situation.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Replaced clutch, slave cylinder is now leaking? (sol2nr)

I'd like to know this too - A bad slave cylinder can mimic a slipping clutch???

Also, how hard is to rebuild the slave cylinder with a 'kit'?
Old 09-22-2004, 05:13 AM
Electrician

Yes it can. Since there isn't sufficient pressure in a leaking Slave Cylinder or Master Cylinder for that matter, the clutch will not be engaging properly and cause it to slip.

This happened to me when my Master Cylinder was going out. Replaced it, no more slipping.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

When you say sufficient pressure, what do you mean?

If the slave cylinder weren't there, the clutch should be fully engaged, correct?

And if the slave cylinder somehow retained pressure after releasing the clutch pedal, I could see this causing the clutch to slip but BG Boost made it seem like it wasn't holding pressure as there was fluid leaking out between the piston/seal and into the rubber boot area (where the actuator rod resides) which to me might mean there would be difficulty getting into and out of gear, but not clutch slippage.

So what is going on with a faulty slave cylinder - is it retaining pressure somehow?