Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

My front end shakes when I hit the brakes.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My front end shakes when I hit the brakes.

I have a question do you think my rotors need cut in the front if my brakes pulse when i step on the brake. It use to do this a lot worse before i had rear drums but, i recently changed to rear disc but it still does it, but not as bad. Or could this mean my lines need to be blead again? If anyone has any input I would appriciate it.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (hondaeg95)

sounds like warped rotors, or bad hub bearings.. But that's most def. a sign ya need to check the rotors out.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (IDriveAHonda)

Could also be an alignment issue. Does it shake at high speeds at all when you're not braking? If not, then it's probably just the rotors
Old 02-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to have this problem in my old 4g hatch! It could be a combination of warped or woren rotors, and a need of a alignment job!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (mattssi)

Get your rotors turned or buy a new set. Replace the brake pads while you are at it. Did you change the proportion valve when you swapped to rear discs?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like warped rotors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO NO NO

Take the rotors off and re-surface them, as long as they are in spec. If not Brembo Blanks are the best for the $$.

Look at my sig
Old 02-18-2004, 12:04 PM
California,The only state

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (greebler)

umm, yes there is such thing as a warped rotor, where do you think the damn term "warped rotor" came from??? ...maybe because its WARPED?

yes you CAN resurface them but what is it before its resurfaced???.....WARPED! tah dah !!

i want a cookie now
Old 02-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (EH2_LS_TURBO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH2_LS_TURBO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm, yes there is such thing as a warped rotor, where do you think the damn term "warped rotor" came from??? ...maybe because its WARPED?

yes you CAN resurface them but what is it before its resurfaced???.....WARPED! tah dah !!

i want a cookie now</TD></TR></TABLE>

FYI..there is a such thing
Old 02-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (USDMDC2)

mine also is currently shaking when i brake. that's why imma slap on some brembo blanks asap.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (dampachi)

mine studder when i brake hard...but also would be that i haev slotted rotors ??
Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (darkjedi022)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkjedi022 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine studder when i brake hard...but also would be that i haev slotted rotors ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have ABS?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (jolt-tsp)

if he is just noticing it, I doubt its ABS, maybe im wrong.... I would definatley say its a warped rotor or two.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (EGCoupe)

si dont have abs
Old 02-19-2004, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkjedi022 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">si dont have abs</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes they do, depends what year
Old 02-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

***and make sure you torque your wheels to 85 ft.lb next time***
Old 02-19-2004, 07:43 AM
New User

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (shaun311)

Their warped, mine did the same thing. Got new regular ones for 35 bux a piece and problem fixed.

Whats the difference between resurfacing a rotor or turning it?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH2_LS_TURBO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm, yes there is such thing as a warped rotor, where do you think the damn term "warped rotor" came from??? ...maybe because its WARPED?

i want a cookie now</TD></TR></TABLE>

not quite rotors seldom warp. The "warping" is usually due to an uneven distribution of brake pad material on the surface of the rotor. Resurfacing the rotor cleans up the faces so you are back down to fresh metal and have cleaned off the uneven deposits.

With that said, rotors are cheap enough, that it may be easier to just get a set of brembo blanks and install them yourself than to get the current rotors turned.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (samdawgsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samdawgsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Whats the difference between resurfacing a rotor or turning it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try this put you car in the Air..... Grab the Tire with you left hand and your right hand on the other Side Shake it Left to right...If there is any play in the Left to right you got a bad tie rod.....then put your left hand on top of the tire and right hand on bottom of the tire.....if it has any play in it it could be your wheel beering or upper or lower ball joint..... witch to tell if its the ball joints just look at them while some one shakes them(do all of this on both sides of the car!).....If you have no loose front end parts its more than lickley the rotors are warped in that case they have to be replaced.......you can not cut warped rotors sorry dude.... but you own a honda and breaks are cheep so you in luck! hoped i helped
Old 02-19-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (ANOTHER_JDM_EG6)

its deff the rotors i had this problem also but what it is, is the rotor it self its looose and everytime u break it going back and forth becuase who every put it on before that didnt put it on right
Old 02-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (ANOTHER_JDM_EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ANOTHER_JDM_EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try this put you car in the Air..... Grab the Tire with you left hand and your right hand on the other Side Shake it Left to right...If there is any play in the Left to right you got a bad tie rod.....then put your left hand on top of the tire and right hand on bottom of the tire.....if it has any play in it it could be your wheel beering or upper or lower ball joint..... witch to tell if its the ball joints just look at them while some one shakes them(do all of this on both sides of the car!).....If you have no loose front end parts its more than lickley the rotors are warped in that case they have to be replaced.......you can not cut warped rotors sorry dude.... but you own a honda and breaks are cheep so you in luck! hoped i helped</TD></TR></TABLE>

check these thigns they are true and cn help you out a lot
Old 02-19-2004, 11:00 AM
California,The only state

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not quite rotors seldom warp. The "warping" is usually due to an uneven distribution of brake pad material on the surface of the rotor. Resurfacing the rotor cleans up the faces so you are back down to fresh metal and have cleaned off the uneven deposits.

With that said, rotors are cheap enough, that it may be easier to just get a set of brembo blanks and install them yourself than to get the current rotors turned.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing, you just explained the technical part of it

i get rotors turned for FREE all day everyday
Old 02-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99-00us si dont have abs..they have 4 disc brrake only......i did the air tirck but its fine ....so now what ??
Old 02-23-2004, 09:46 AM

Do I really have to disconnect the SRS before doing any work on my front brakes? Not trying to steal the post.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-24-2004, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes. (staticrex)

You guys are talking about warped rotors, but I found this on http://www.overboost.com

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1215 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now we've all discussed brake shimmy and most people thing that's due to brake rotor warpage. Well, warpage is only about 20% of the equation. Most of the time, brake shimmy is due to rust or dirt between the wheel and hub or rotor and hub because even a small spec of dirt will cause the wheel to be mounted at an angle. You pop the wheels on my car and you'll see a very dirty car with very clean hubs—60,000 miles and dead smooth brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My front end shakes when I hit the brakes.