Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it?

its a 95 gsr with about 145k... it doesn't gush out, just a slow leak, never really noticable on the dipstick. i clean it but it always comes back....

it seems to come from the corner of the headgasket there.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (dunkd)

it's probably due to the high milage......do you run the car?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Danm...I got the same leak on the exact spot too!!
I dont know wtf leaking from?? Pease help us???
Old 10-31-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no way!!! me tooo on my d16z6, except it leaks out clean oil, lol new cometic h/g on it , torqued, leaking.....
Old 10-31-2003, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (Pnoymugen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pnoymugen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's probably due to the high milage......do you run the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah obviously, i wanna know what it is tho so i can fix it... and yes the car see's high rev's every once in awhile.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:36 PM

check the exhaust cam plug. the round black plug....usually where it leak at!! easy to fix though.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

takes about about 30 minutes to take off your head... replace head gasket and get some new head bolts, cam seals, and all rubber gaskets.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (mugen76)

No need to buy new head bolts. I have reused my stock head bolts many times and have never had a problem.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:06 PM

My friend has the same leak, check your vtec solenoid(sp?) gasket.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrynnTheSlut)

yah i thought it was that at first but after cleaning, driving, checking a few times it was dry around the solenoid. it only seems to come from headgasket.

this winter i plan on ctr cams so while im in there ill replace gaskets and such.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:34 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the exhaust cam plug. the round black plug....usually where it leak at!! easy to fix though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the thing leakin.. i replaced the vtec seloniod gasket and it kept leaking.. replaced the cam seal w/ an str aftermarket one and it leaks no more..
Old 10-31-2003, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (Hybrid95CivicEX)

i have the same problem with my ls. first i thought it was the headgasket then yesterday i looked at it and it looked like it was coming from the cam seal, i think its leaking from both so when ever the shop gets my cometic headgasket in i can do full tune up and timing belt fix the cam seal and put new headgasket and get ready for turbo.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (careawholelot)

Before you yank the head, check the solenoid seal. It also may very well be the distributor seal, or the v.cover gasket...but I think you would know if it was the valve cover gasket.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (Ef *****)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ef ***** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before you yank the head, check the solenoid seal. It also may very well be the distributor seal, or the v.cover gasket...but I think you would know if it was the valve cover gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo! It the distributor seal, that where it kept leaking, same problem. So I replaced it and it doent leak anymore!! No more oil burn. However the gasket was replace and intake gasket and cam seal. No more oil burn.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Adub33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adub33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No need to buy new head bolts. I have reused my stock head bolts many times and have never had a problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The head bolts are only supposed to be reused to 3 times before the risk of them failing becomes a factor
Old 10-31-2003, 11:53 PM

Default Re: (95excoupeMT)

you shouldnt re-use stock headbolts ever!!! dont be cheap and invest in reusable ARP's
Old 11-01-2003, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (_ApplePoop_)

cam plug or vtec solenoid gasket/seal... i'd put money on it!

-Bryan-
Old 11-01-2003, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the exhaust cam plug. the round black plug....usually where it leak at!! easy to fix though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
- use one of those aluminum plugs with o-rings...
Old 12-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (Hybrid95CivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid95CivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats the thing leakin.. i replaced the vtec seloniod gasket and it kept leaking.. replaced the cam seal w/ an str aftermarket one and it leaks no more.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ef ***** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Before you yank the head, check the solenoid seal. It also may very well be the distributor seal, or the v.cover gasket...but I think you would know if it was the valve cover gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have the exact same leak and it only started recently. the motor was rebuilt 23k miles ago and this is the first time ive seen this...im running a spoon headgasket and the head is milled .020 ..

do you guys think its the headgasket ? if not which one of the 3 should i try...distributor seal? vtec solenoid gasket? cam seal? its not the valve cover gasket i know that....
Old 12-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it? (ixiblindixi)

Us D-series guys just had a thread about a leak VERY similar to that one. Looked like this:

Turned out to be the distributor O-ring for several different people. If there is only oil leaking from the passenger side of the head...good chance is its a cam seal or distributor O-ring.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Night_Minx

Default Re: (mugen76)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugen76 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">takes about about 30 minutes to take off your head... replace head gasket and get some new head bolts, cam seals, and all rubber gaskets. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You have never done a HG job in a car with an installed motor. perhaps on a stripped motor on a jackstand. If you really believe this, I will pay for your airfare to come to my house, and prove me wrong. I will provide all the necessary tools and materials. Also I will have 3 certified Honda techs watching you to ensure quality and proper procedure. I have done it, on my installed motor. And no including machine work to the head, it took me about 3 hours to pull head off and place it back on. Removing exhaust mani, intake mani, appropriate cooling lines, retorquing head bolts and so forth. And also to refill coolant and bleed and change the oil.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGStreetHtch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGStreetHtch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cam plug or vtec solenoid gasket/seal... i'd put money on it!

-Bryan-</TD></TR></TABLE>

I fixed the exact same leak last month. It was the VTEC solenoid gasket. Acura calls it a spool valve filter . Part # 15825-P08-005 List $17.86
Old 12-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Night_Minx)

heres some pics i found for the dohc vtec.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are some product referance numbers from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com:

parts for 99 b16:

cam seal - 18221
dizzy o ring - 4459
vtec solenoid gasket - 18172

im gonna see if i get these on friday/monday. thanks for the help guys and not making me think it was the head gasket
Old 12-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ixiblindixi)

Same problem on my LS, but I am pretty sure it is coming from thw cam seal above it as it leaks.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak!@! Head gasket? what is it?