Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

when is the radiator fan suppose to turn on(spin)?

Old 12-15-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when is the radiator fan suppose to turn on(spin)?

It seems like I've never seen the fan spinned even with the heater blow turn on high! My car never overheats tho...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when is the radiator fan suppose to turn on(spin)? (kinvid)

I believe the fan is suppose to turn on once or twice before reaching normal operating temperature. Mine never turned on so I wired it to a toggle switch and turn it on when the car is half-way warmed...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:41 PM

Default Re: when is the radiator fan suppose to turn on(spin)? (Hybrid93Hatch)

So it turns on for a little bit until the car reaches it's normal operating temp....will it constantly spin to cool down the engine, isn't that what's it suppose to do, aid the coolant to flow through the engine coolant passage?

What if it never turns on.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kinvid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It seems like I've never seen the fan spinned even with the heater blow turn on high! My car never overheats tho...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have your HEATER blasted, there is a very slim chance of your fan coming on. Think about, when your car is overheating what are you supposed to do? Blast the heat, the idea being to get some of the heat out of the engine bay into your compartment. I have only seen my fan come on once, when I first installed it. I had to turn my cold air onto full blast and have my buddy rev the motor for a few seconds until it actually came on. My car runs very cool too. Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The radiator fan will not turn on unless the temperature of the coolant reaches around 180-190 degrees. There is a themostat switch in either the upper rad hose neck on the block, or in the back of your block by the oil filter. When that switch senses the correct temp, it will turn on the fan. If your rad is pretty new, chances are in these colder months, you fan will never come on. However, in the heat of summer, if you're stuck in stop and go traffic, or if you leave the car idling long enough, the fan will come on.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:41 PM

Default Re: when is the radiator fan suppose to turn on(spin)? (Jaker)

So the fan will only turn on when the engine gets too hot to cool down itself. When is a good time for me to catch the fan spinning to make sure it's working when it reaches the correct temp?

I get on the freeway, drive home for like 15 min...get out of the car while the engine is still running, pop the hood to see if the fan is on, and it's not. How do I make sure the fan is working?

How hot is "180-190 degrees" on the coolant. What's the normal operating temperature for B-series engine? Since i got my B20 swap, I notice the temperature needle is a tad higher than my D16. Now is that normal? As long as I have coolant, and my car is not overheating, then I should not worry about it?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as the car does not overheat, you're fine. I would suggest that if you want to "test" the fan, you need to get the car up to operating temperature, and then let it idle for a while. Try blocking the front of the rad with a piece of cardboard. This will help the engine get "hot enough" to run the fan. Have someone in the car watch the temp gauge to make sure it never goes above 3/4 hot. If the fan does not turn on by the time the gauge gets to 3/4s, your fan (or the power supply to it) is busted. Take off the cardboard, and go for a short drive to cool things back down.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:49 PM
New User

Default Re: when is the radiator fan suppose to turn on(spin)? (Jaker)

i have never seen my fan turn on. i would like it to though. on my cousin's accord, whenever he parks, the fan turns on. is that normal?