Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car shaking on acceleration and losing power =(

Old 11-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car shaking on acceleration and losing power =(

ok, i have a 95' civic DX coupe...and lately...for about 4-5 days, my car has been shaking a little bit, when i'm at idle...but just today...my car started shaking like CRAZY! it only shakes crazy when i accelerate...but when the car is just sitting there...it still shakes, but not as bad...when i popped my hood earlier...i can see my driver side engine mount shaking a little bit..is it suppose to be shaking??? and i've noticed....on acceleration, i lose power...because when i'm in first gear and punch on the gas, my car just launches, but now, when i punch on it, it revs up, but it takes more time to go faster... can someone give me some info. on why my car is shaking and i'm losing power???
Old 11-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: car shaking on acceleration and losing power =( (b00st)

If it's shaking, is your motor mount lose or is the rubber insert portion gone?
Old 11-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car shaking on acceleration and losing power =( (EL Vap133)

when i checked under my hood...i noticed that my engine was shaking more then normal, i compared it to my friend, and his engine bearly moved...but i did notice that the driver engine mount was shaking too...is it suppose to be shaking? or be still?
Old 11-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i checked under my hood...i noticed that my engine was shaking more then normal, i compared it to my friend, and his engine bearly moved...but i did notice that the driver engine mount was shaking too...is it suppose to be shaking? or be still?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean the mount itself was shaking, or the engine was shaking a lot in that area? Look at your friends mounts and then look at yours, maybe the rubber is gone?
Old 11-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, the mount itself was shaking a little bit...and what do mean rubber? i do see 2 rubber piece on each side of the driver mount...is that what you mean? can someone else explain why i am losing so much power while i'm accelerating?? the car ******* shakes when i try to accelerate, and it goes hella slow too...
Old 11-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?? this is my first car and i've had so much bad luck with it already
Old 11-11-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, the mount itself was shaking a little bit...and what do mean rubber? i do see 2 rubber piece on each side of the driver mount...is that what you mean? can someone else explain why i am losing so much power while i'm accelerating?? the car ******* shakes when i try to accelerate, and it goes hella slow too... </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes thats what he means. the motor mounts hold your engine to the frame, and the rubber inside them is there to absorb the external forces the motor produces when it makes torque. if your car is shaking while your engine is under load, the rubber inserts have worn out, are no longer containing the stress properly, and the motor is allowed to shake more freely. stiffer motor mounts inserts (polyurethane), absorb the stress from the motor's torque and trasmit it to the frame, rather than flexing like rubber.

get some polyurethane inserts from energy suspension, prothane, or maybe mugen or spoon if you've got the $ to blow. your interior will rattle more, but your engine will stay nice and still, and transmit it's power to the ground a lot smoother. if you want to get a lot of power out of your motor, these are essential - wheelhop will kill your driveline.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car shaking on acceleration and losing power =( (jwn7)

^^^ could this be the reason why my car is VERY slow on acceleration?? because of my engine shaking? because i've noticed that i have been losing power when accelerating in any gear...lets pretend i'm in 2nd and going 35 MPH, it should pull pretty hard, but right now, it just revs up and accelerates really slow... so could that also be the reason? because of my engine shaking? that i'm getting slow acceleration??
Old 11-11-2003, 04:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but right now, it just revs up and accelerates really slow... so could that also be the reason? because of my engine shaking? that i'm getting slow acceleration??</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like your clutch is slipping along with some bad motor mount inserts.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sounds like your clutch is slipping along with some bad motor mount inserts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like it is, when was the last time you replaced your clutch?
Old 11-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i haven't replaced it yet, still stock
Old 11-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A.) your clutch is slipping (the revving and the engine having to "catch up" is the tell-tale sign).

B.) your motor mounts are shot (this is also fairly common and an easy fix. Summit racing has motor mount inserts from Energy Suspension).

You know what to do. Get the credit card and fix the problem.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car shaking on acceleration and losing power =( (Archidictus)

ok, thx for all the info. guys...now i just need to save up the money because i'm a 16 yr. old with no job
Old 11-11-2003, 05:36 PM

well your clutch sounds like its slipping real bad or your exaggerating. i'd say there's not much time left on her. my roomates clutch started to slip, and within two weeks it was ****. also, if your motor is shaking real bad, right now all the mounts that are still intact are wearing further, and eventually it will snap something and fall out of the engine bay . you really dont need that.
"get the credit card and fix the problem"
Old 11-11-2003, 05:39 PM

if thats the case..being 16...if u think u know the problem then start out by checking the salvage yards online or in person..u could probably find something that ll meet ur needs..even a clutch shouldnt be too hard to find
Old 11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well your clutch sounds like its slipping real bad or your exaggerating. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well...let's say i'm in 1st gear, and i punch on the gas, it still pulls, but not as fast and the car shakes as well...so i'm guessing i need a new clutch then?

and does anyone know if i can get the motor inserts and clutch locally? like at autozone? baxter's? schucks? because i don't want to buy offline, it will take too long

Modified by b00st at 3:29 AM 11/12/2003
Old 11-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well...let's say i'm in 1st gear, and i punch on the gas, it still pulls, but not as fast and the car shakes as well...so i'm guessing i need a new clutch then?

and does anyone know if i can get the motor inserts and clutch locally? like at autozone? baxter's? schucks? because i don't want to buy offline, it will take too long
A sign of slipping clutch is when you in gear accelerating but instead the engine rev up.. meaning the RPM revved up and you stand still.
Another sign is when you accelerated it stink like raw egg/fish!!
I dont think its your clutch!!....I think its something else!!
Have you check your ignition timming, sparkplug wires, plugs and plug gapping, cap and rotor?

Modified by b00st at 3:29 AM 11/12/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car shaking on acceleration and losing power =( (HATCHingMN)

no, i haven't checked all of that yet...i didn't really think it was my clutch, because it does rev up higher the usual, but the car still moves...and during the acceleration, the car shakes a lot, but like i said, the car still moves but just slower then normal
Old 11-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump before i goto sleep...any idea's on why i am getting such slow acceleration?? instead of accelerating fast, the engine revs up but doesn't go as fast...is it because my engine is shaking so much?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, i haven't checked all of that yet...i didn't really think it was my clutch, because it does rev up higher the usual, but the car still moves...and during the acceleration, the car shakes a lot, but like i said, the car still moves but just slower then normal</TD></TR></TABLE>
What I mean by RPM revved up while accelerating...is when you step on the accelerator pedal to speed up, the RPM shoot up!! sorta like driving down the road and rev in neutral!!
I think you need to check you ignition timming!! it might be off!!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car shaking on acceleration and losing power =( (HATCHingMN)

same problem i got with mine, had my buddies take a look at it and they told me that its the head gasket....its blown...so that why my motor was losing power. Your motor still starts right? But just that it shakes a lot when you start it right? Same problem here. Check your compression, it will drop and rise on the cylinders that are blown....or check it by having the motor on, and then taking out the sparkplugs wires....if the motor dies...something is wrong with that cylinder...but if it doesn't die, the cylinder is still good.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car shaking on acceleration and losing power =( (methos713)

yea, my car still starts, i'll be taking it to a shop today for them to take a look at...hopefully it's not too serious