Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Viper alarm gurus-how to hook up a horn relay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper alarm gurus-how to hook up a horn relay?

Just got a viper alrm installed and the siren's kinda weak so I want to hook up my horn to it. My manual says you can do it but you need to put a relay on there. My question is what size, amps, whatever relay do I need for this? Anyone ever done this?

Or if someone knows of a really loud siren and where to get it?
Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Viper alarm gurus-how to hook up a horn relay? (snapcase318)

Don't know if it's diiferent from yours, but I have this Bulldog alarm and this relay #775 from them. Here's how you wire it:
http://bulldogsecurity.com/bdn...1.jpg
I have a negative pulsed horn, so I use the top picture.

Forgot to add - you can find that relays specs on their site and look for a similar one wherever you want.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Viper alarm gurus-how to hook up a horn relay? (Jagan'92)

Thaks Jagan
Old 10-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Viper alarm gurus-how to hook up a horn relay? (snapcase318)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snapcase318 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just got a viper alrm installed and the siren's kinda weak so I want to hook up my horn to it. My manual says you can do it but you need to put a relay on there. My question is what size, amps, whatever relay do I need for this? Anyone ever done this?

Or if someone knows of a really loud siren and where to get it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda's use a relay to control the horn... (since if you think about it the horn wire you'll tag into is - yet the wire to the horn is +). Pretty much you're just using the relay to flip the voltage from the brain. you can use as small as you can find pretty much. I know I just use the DEI 8616 which is a 10/20 amp relay. Well more than enough.

Oh, and don't go by the wire colors on bulldog's web site. They can be any color. You wnat to look at the pins. Pretty much for you pin 85 and 30 connect to ground. 86 connects to the output from your alarm brain (shows +12 when the siren is suppose to go off) and connect 87 to the horn wire... it should show negitive when you press the horn button. Just remember to program the brain to do a pulsed output instead of the constant. If you don't, when your alarm goes off your horn will not go HONKKK... HONKKK... HONKKK... it will end up just going HONNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKK
for 30 seconds or whatever output time you have set.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Viper alarm gurus-how to hook up a horn relay? (rjr162)

hey that's why my horn does that! right - should have realized it wasn't supposed to honk continuously. ok easy.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Viper alarm gurus-how to hook up a horn relay? (Jagan'92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jagan'92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey that's why my horn does that! right - should have realized it wasn't supposed to honk continuously. ok easy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, my manual tells me how to switch to horn output by bitwriter program or messing with the remote, not sure if yours is the same.