Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Owning an R worth the hassle?

Old 08-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle?

Theft posts are nothing new around here, it's been a problem of epidemic proportions for a few years now. As much as I love my R, I really have to take a step back and ask myself...Is it really worth owning this car anymore?

It's fun to go to meets and track events, but for street driving (what I do 99% of the time) the car is the biggest negative attention magnet I've ever owned. And mine is black, I can just imagine what PY owners go through. My R is like new, 14K miles with a K&N drop in and axle back. Stock right down to the original RE010's. My friends that know about Honda's insist I keep the car, part of me wants to keep it. The other part of me says f*ck it, sell the thing and get an STI!

There are plenty of econo-performance cars on the market that dont suffer from such rampant theft, why not just replace the R with one of those cars?
Old 08-07-2003, 06:14 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (George Knighton)

I want one... but i refuse to own a car thats only safe in my own neighborhood and I cant drive further than the grocery store. If you cant enjoy it, there's no point in owning it. My mind may change depending on where I end up working, i.e. if i'm working where the parking lot is covered by big guys with guns, i might buy one.

RJ - looking for a cheap hatch or miata for track duty
Old 08-07-2003, 06:16 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The G2 isn't a cheap enough hatch for you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just moving on... leaning towards the miata anyways. I wont be racing anytime soon, so having fun with low cost and high reliability what i'm really concerned about.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want one... but i refuse to own a car thats only safe in my own neighborhood and I cant drive further than the grocery store. If you cant enjoy it, there's no point in owning it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My point exactly!

Why not get an STI that gives you damn near Turbo Porsche performance, for not much more that the price of an ITR? And nowhere near the theft hassles...
Old 08-07-2003, 06:23 AM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (H-PIMP)

I love my R.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:23 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not get an STI that gives you damn near Turbo Porsche performance, for not much more that the price of an ITR? And nowhere near the theft hassles...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you'd likely spend twice the $$$ on an STi (used R @ $16K vs $32K STi).

I've driven the STi and I can assure you its a wonderful car to drive... boost is very addicting.

RJ
Old 08-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, you'd likely spend twice the $$$ on an STi (used R @ $16K vs $32K STi).

I've driven the STi and I can assure you its a wonderful car to drive... boost is very addicting.

RJ</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was reffering to the R's original MSRP ($24.8K)

But yes the STI, is very appealing. I'll be t/d one this weekend
Old 08-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive the **** out of it and take your chances. The reason most of us have insurance is to cover us if our R gets jacked, not in case we get into accidents lol.

by the way, has anyone every done a search on "stolen" in the ITR forum? its amazing how much **** comes up. Like 6 or 7 posts come up just in the "recent" search, not "archive".
Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 AM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (RTW DC2)

I agree - get a good alarm, keep it in a safe place, and drive the hell out of it. The R is the most hardcore, tactile FF car ever, and I enjoy driving it every day
But it's not for everybody, and it does get alot of attention. If your'e sick of the attention, take off the stickers, and the wing (stealth mode oWnZ)...

You simply will NOT be able to find a better performing, cheaper, more reliable, and easier to work on and maintain sports car for the money than the R... Keep it and drive the isH out of it ...

I my ITR
Old 08-07-2003, 06:40 AM

"Is owning an R worth the hassle?"

less and less every day

you forgot to add "replace with a plush european sedan"
Old 08-07-2003, 07:33 AM
New User

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Rob :190:)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rob :190: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Is owning an R worth the hassle?"

less and less every day

you forgot to add "replace with a plush european sedan"</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, less and less everyday is a correct statement. I say get yourself the EVo 8, in white.... booooteeefol!

If Mitsu sold these bad boys in Toronto.... I would have one.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (RTW DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Drive the **** out of it and take your chances. The reason most of us have insurance is to cover us if our R gets jacked, not in case we get into accidents lol.

by the way, has anyone every done a search on "stolen" in the ITR forum? its amazing how much **** comes up. Like 6 or 7 posts come up just in the "recent" search, not "archive". </TD></TR></TABLE>

ain't that the truth..shish
Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 AM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (RaVAGE00)

That Evo is one amazing car. Nothing better than a factory intercooled Turbo!

However, the final decision is up to you....
Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Trendy26)

If you keep it more it might be a collectors some day. But you'll always need to be paranoid about keeping it safe. I say wait for now till the Ralliart GSR lancer comes out. Because right now they only gave the Us the lighter RS
Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Trendy26)

It depends on where you live, and what you do.
If you live in NY, and like to take your girl out, its not worth it.

If you're like me, and only drive it to work or home, and live in a low theft area, its not that bad.

I did have to meet some friends at the movies a few months ago(they always drive, but not this time), and by the time I pulled up my parking brake, there was already a ricer screeming into the space beside me(at the very end of the parking lot). And tons of little kids staring at my PY. I ended up moving it to another parking lot, and walking 5-10 minutes to the movie.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't know where you came up w/the SVT Cobra option, but it's something I've thought about. I saw one at VIR last week. Pretty neat. Crappy gearbox, and reliability's suspect. I could hear the supercharger whine when they were in Rollercoaster, and it was an interesting effect to add to its generally good performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Gramps, I came up with this cuz the Cobra offers more straightline speed than any other car under $50K, and handling isnt too shabby either. Larocca performance in Old Bridge, NJ has a bolt-on 10.90 Cobra thats Jimmy Laroccas daily driver, and its as reliable as reliable gets.
(Lightning pulley, diablo chip, K&N, Bassani long tubes & X pipe, MAC flowpath 2.75 cat back, slicks and thats it.)

I owned a 385whp 92 GT for 7 years, and with the exception of clutches and routine maintenance the car gave no problems at all (200+ drag passes street/track), so I have faith in hi-po Fords. Being able to outaccelerate anything on 4 wheels with a $30K Stang has to feel pretty good
Old 08-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cannot vote yet, but I would have to say hell yeah! its worth it!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The other part of me says f*ck it, sell the thing and get an STI!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

As soon as people finds out how to buy the block from the dealer without vin #, STi will be a common target as well. Evo is a better bet.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was reffering to the R's original MSRP ($24.8K)

But yes the STI, is very appealing. I'll be t/d one this weekend </TD></TR></TABLE>
i seen the STI go as $35k and not a lot of options of what color you wanted it unless is pre- order since they dont stock the car . an if they do is mainly one

Old 08-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rod,
Your post is the exact reason why my car is now a dedicated track car. Living in NYC, I cannot take it anywhere (get attention from the thieves and traffic police). I figured if I cannot enjoy it to its fullest as a street car, I might as well enjoy it to its fullest on the track.

PS=&gt; wish me luck for Aug. 30, I should be getting my competition license.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Rob :190:)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rob :190: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you forgot to add "replace with a spartan european sedan"</TD></TR></TABLE>

I fixed your post.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-PIMP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I owned a 385whp 92 GT for 7 years, and with the exception of clutches and routine maintenance the car gave no problems at all (200+ drag passes street/track), so I have faith in hi-po Fords. Being able to outaccelerate anything on 4 wheels with a $30K Stang has to feel pretty good
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I remember when Fox bodies were stolen as frequently (if not more) than the ITRs are today. In fact, you probably owned yours during that time.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (MK Ultra)

I've had to become even more paranoid than I have been. A fellow R owner was at a "spot" locally and my car came up in the conversation. "Yeah, there's some girl driving a white Type R around here with a JDM front. She has some sort of purple dash cover in it." I keep a maroon t-shirt over my JDM steering wheel to keep it from fading. My windows are also tinted very dark. Obviously someone got close enough to it AFTER I left it and looked inside.

Anyone who is legit and sees someone get out of their R and is interested, will approach you. I used to when I didn't have one.

My warn away would have gone off when they got that close, but I had to turn the sensitivity down due to where I work. Needless to say, it's back on now and the people can complain if they'd like. I don't like worrying about it every day, but I love my car and wouldn't give it up for anything. If I become a member of the "Stolen R Club", at least I had one and enjoyed it up til the very end.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Boo439)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boo439 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I become a member of the "Stolen R Club", at least I had one and enjoyed it up til the very end. </TD></TR></TABLE>

:amen:

55,000 miles and still counting on my unwashed POS. (washed it just before the exb0).
Old 08-07-2003, 09:24 AM
New User

Default Re: (ITR OWNERS) Is owning an R worth the hassle? (Willard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Willard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

:amen:

55,000 miles and still counting on my unwashed POS. (washed it just before the exb0).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wash that beeeeatch.... the yellow with the black fender kicks ars!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owning an R worth the hassle?