Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

New Clutch/gear grind

Old 07-22-2003, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch/gear grind

I was really happy two weeks ago to drive home in a 2000 PY Integra type R. But as luck would have it, I managed to break within a few days when the clutch went out on me. I ended up dropping in an ACT 6-puck disc and heavy duty pressure plate. I know this is a little harsh but it's kind of a long story why I ended up with it. Anyways, now that I've put a few miles to break it in and seat the disc, when I shift into third gear from second at high RPM's the tranny grinds! It never did this before the new clutch. Do you guys think that adjusting the clutch will take care of this? Or is it possible that when the old clutch went, somehow it could have damaged a synchro, which seems rather odd to me. When the clutch went, I was shifting out of third gear and into fourth. When I went into fourth, the clutch pedal went soft to the floor and it wouldn't go into gear. When we took the factory disc out, the pads were broken apart. What do you guys think? It only grinds at high RPM's and it seems to do it every time. Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Clutch/gear grind (ImpulseITR)

mine also seems to do this, sumtimes shifting down from 3rd to 2nd. i hope its not a syncro
Old 07-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install it yourself or did you take it to a shop?

my guess would be the tranny fluid is different (possibly cheap stuff?) and it is just making the problem that already exists evident. I'd try to figure out what was in there before and after, or get some quality stuff.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Clutch/gear grind (tilt)

probably signs of a synchro going bad.

what i would do is drain the fluid, and get some GM synchromesh tranny fluid, your problems should be gone, unless its a really bad grind
Old 07-22-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Re: New Clutch/gear grind (PacMan ITR)

I put the GM synchromesh in the car when the clutch was changed. My friend, who is a mechanic at the honda dealership did the install. It grinds the gear every time you shift above 5-6k RPM. Shifting lower, it feels real solid. I also noticed after the clutch that all gears take slightly more effort to get into. It never did this before the new clutch.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your supposed to adjust ur clutch pedal after you install a clutch.

look down underneath your dash.. find ur clutch pedal.. on the back of the rod that goes into the the clutch master cylnder.. theres a 12 or 14mm nut. loosen it. now turn the rid with ur fingers to the left. turn it about 1 or 2 turns. then tighten the bolt back up.

start the car, push clutch, put into 1st gear and start to let clutch out. see if it grabs differently. now go drive. if it still grinds adjust some more.

my buddies GSR did the same thing after we changed the clutch/flywheel.. simple adjustment made a major difference.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:20 AM

May be either your clutch master or slave cylinder that is developping a leak. We replace many clutches on high mileage b18's and when the hydraulics worked fine on the old unit, they started to fail with a new clutch.
This is even more apparent when you upgrade the clamping force. your foot doesn't feel it, but trust me the slave does.
My ITR has 80,000km of auto-x and trials and when the clutch let go, the slave followed the same evening.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImpulseITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also noticed after the clutch that all gears take slightly more effort to get into. It never did this before the new clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>It's really hard to diagnose problems over the internet but as long as the pilot bearing is good and the release point is high enough at the pedal, then it has to be trans. or clutch.

The only thing I can think of in regards to the 6 puck clutch is if the disc doesn't like to slide freely on the input shaft. Our instructions that whould have come with the parts explain to lubricate the splines and check that they slide freely. If they don't slide freely then the disc will drag on the flywheel no matter if the pressure plate has released or not. I assume you are running the stock flywheel. If not, there could be issues with the flywheel as well.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: New Clutch/gear grind (ACTman)

It does have the stock flywheel on it. I'll ask my mechanic if he lubed the splines well and if he checked it before he put it in. Wouldn't it be strange if the Synchro went at the exact time as the clutch? That just doesnt make since, I figure it has to be something with the clutch. I am definately going to throw in a street disc, though. I am just worried that if I just go ahead and do that and if the problem is still there, then I will have to buy an all new OEM setup just so I can get the tranny warranteed. The supplied pilot bearing of course was installed with the clutch.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Clutch/gear grind (Downey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Downey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your supposed to adjust ur clutch pedal after you install a clutch.

look down underneath your dash.. find ur clutch pedal.. on the back of the rod that goes into the the clutch master cylnder.. theres a 12 or 14mm nut. loosen it. now turn the rid with ur fingers to the left. turn it about 1 or 2 turns. then tighten the bolt back up.

start the car, push clutch, put into 1st gear and start to let clutch out. see if it grabs differently. now go drive. if it still grinds adjust some more.

my buddies GSR did the same thing after we changed the clutch/flywheel.. simple adjustment made a major difference.</TD></TR></TABLE> sounds good
Old 07-23-2003, 09:38 PM
t
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImpulseITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> My friend, who is a mechanic at the honda dealership did the install. It grinds the gear every time you shift above 5-6k RPM. Shifting lower, it feels real solid. I also noticed after the clutch that all gears take slightly more effort to get into. It never did this before the new clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why dont you ask your friend?? Seeing that he is a Honda mechanic and he did do the install. It is better than getting guesses from the internet.

But my guess, Sounds like the clutch is not releasing all the way at high rpm. Could be low clutch fluid or as simple as clutch pedal adjustment (but after doing multiple clutch installs I have never have to adjust the clutch pedal).