Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAQ: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (56k Goodbye)

Old 07-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (56k Goodbye)

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Please note, this detailed write up did not address the mechanical timing issue that presents itself when you put a D16 head onto a D15 block. After completing everything in this write up, please review the post by firsteg here: https://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-...i-me-info.html to get the missing detail on mechanical timing this build.
Welcome to my D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me Writeup!
This is a write-up based on a 1992 D16Z6 head being bolted onto a 1993 Civic LX with a D15B7 block. Like Spade’s SOHC Upgrades thread, this is a continual work in progress. If you are thinking about doing a mini-me swap on your 92-95 Civic using a D16Z6 head, then this is the place to be. I will do a complete walkthrough of the mini-me, including a shopping list of parts, tools needed, how to perform the swap, important things to look out for, what to expect when you finish, and ideas for future modifications. These instructions are for 92-95 Civic D15B7 DX, LX mini-me’s, but most of the stuff can be applied to CX’s with pistons with reliefs for 4 valves as well. If you have a question about doing a mini-me on a non-OBD I car, you can PM me and I’ll see if I can help. Note: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS SWAP ON A CIVIC VX, THE PISTONS HAVE TOO LARGE OF A DISH AND THE COMPRESSION WILL END UP BEING TOO LOW. Well…enough already let’s get to it!

1. What exactly is a “mini-me”?

A “mini-me” is an informal name for a D-Series SOHC VTEC head mated to a D-Series SOHC non-VTEC block. Most mini-me swaps consist of D16Y8 or D16Z6 heads onto USDM D15B, D16A6, or D16Y7 blocks. JDM D15b VTEC heads will work as well

2. Why should I do a mini-me swap?
I chose to do a mini-me swap after reading up on them and hearing that they put out a fair amount of power for how cheap they are. It is widely believed that this combination, with a thin D16Y8 head gasket, will produce a near 11:1 CR. However, after calculating the compression using the d-series compression calculator, I only came up with 10.1:1. To bump the compression a few more tenths, you can remove the middle layer from the Y8 head gasket. Theoretically, a stock mini-me with a Y8 head gasket should put out about as much power as a D16Z6, give or take a few horses. The raised compression makes up for the difference in displacement.

3. Okay, what parts do I need to buy?
For a Z6 mini-me swap you’ll need four basic things: a D16Z6 cylinder head (including valve cover, distributor, spark plugs, spark plug wires etc), D16Z6 timing belt, D16Y8 head gasket (D16Z6 works well also, but Y8 is a better, metal gasket) and P28 ECU (make sure you get an auto ECU for an auto, manual for manual).

IMPORTANT: Several places on the net and several people on Honda-Tech say that the VX (D15Z1) timing belt is the one to use for this swap because it is for a 1.5L VTEC. THIS IS INCORRECT! When I did the initial head swap, I used a VX timing belt. The VX timing belt was WAY too tight, and whined when the engine was at high rpm. I unfortunately did not discover this until the entire head was assembled. The VX timing belt has 103 teeth, where as the Z6 timing belt has 104 teeth, and the B7 belt 106 teeth. I was finally able to replace the VX timing belt with the Z6 timing belt, and the Z6 timing belt fit much better and didn’t whine. THE D16Z6 timing belt is the correct belt to use with a B7 block / Z6 head combination.

Note also: The D16Z6 and D15B7 spark plug wires are NOT interchangeable. You will need D16Z6 spark plug wires with this swap. Also, the 96-00 Civic EX’s have a 9.6:1 compression ratio, so the spark plugs from that motor will better with the higher compression than the stock Z6 ones. Honda Part # 98079-5614P, NGK ZFR6J-11.

You can use your stock intake and exhaust manifolds with the mini-me. All d-series manifolds are interchangeable. However, both the D16Z6 intake manifold and header flow much better than the D15’s…so if you can pick them up for a real cheap price, then definitely go for it. In addition to the main things, you’ll need little things, coolant and wire (to wire the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure to the ECU).

I however, wanted to make sure that the swap ran perfectly once I got it running so I picked up a few general maintenance things as well, such as a new distributor cap and rotor, new water pump, new spark plug wires, and a new valve cover gasket.

List of Parts:
Required:
D16Z6 Cylinder Head (Including distributor cap, valve cover, plugs/wires, VTEC solenoid, etc)
D16Z6 or D16Y8 Head Gasket
P28 ECU
D16Z6 Timing Belt
Wire and plug for VTEC oil pressure switch

Optional:
D16Z6 Intake Manifold
D16Z6 Exhaust Manifold
*If you remove your manifolds, make sure you get new gaskets

Recommended:
NEW OEM-
Water Pump (for the block you are using)
Spark Plugs (EX D16Y8)
Spark Plug Wires
Valve Cover Gasket
Distributor cap and rotor

I spent about $550 total when all was said and done. I paid $200 for the head, and $85 for the ECU. Random stuff kept adding up after that. $550 is comparable to a full Z6 swap, but remember this included a new timing belt, head gasket, etc.

4. What tools will I need to do the job?
Well, 95% of the job can be done with a 3/8 inch ratchet, 10-19mm sockets, and a set of screwdrivers. However, you will need a torque wrench so that you can torque the head bolts down correctly, and you will also need access to an air wrench when you do your timing belt to get the crank pulley off. You will also need wire cutters, and some electrical tape for the wiring part.

5. Okay, I got all of the parts and tools, now how do I swap the heads?

Alright first what you’re gonna need to do is remove the cylinder head.

Here are the step by step instructions on how to take your head off (Taken from helms. I recommend you have the actual manual in front of you because it includes detailed pictures and diagrams):
1. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery.
2. Drain the coolant.
3. Relieve fuel pressure (take the gas cap off)
4. Remove the air flow tube (intake)
5. Remove the fuel feed hose and charcoal canister hose from the intake manifold.
6. Remove the throttle cable at the throttle body.
7. Remove the throttle control cable from the throttle body (A/T only).
8. Remove the fuel return hose and brake booster vacuum hose.
9. Remove the engine wire harness connectors and wire harness clamps from the cylinder head and intake manifold (Basically any hose or plug that’s connected to the intake manifold or head, needs to come off)
10. Disconnect spark plug wires at spark plugs and remove them from the distributor.
11. Remove the engine ground cable on the cylinder head cover.
12. Remove the power steering belt and pump (Do NOT disconnect the hoses)
13. Remove the power steering bracket (4 bolts)
14. Remove the emission vacuum hoses and water bypass hoses from intake manifold assembly (included in step 9)
15. Remove the radiator upper hose and heater hose from the cylinder head (included in step 9)
16. Remove the water bypass hose from the thermostat housing.
17. Remove the intake manifold bracket.
18. Remove the self locking nuts and disconnect the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe A.
19. Remove the exhaust manifold bracket.
20. Remove the PCV hose, then remove the cylinder head cover.
21. Remove the timing belt upper cover.
22. Loosen the timing belt adjusting bolt 180 degrees to release the belt tension.
23. Push the tensioner to release tension from the timing belt, then retighten the adjusting bolt.
24. Remove the belt from the cam pulley (gear)
25. Remove the cylinder head bolts, then remove the cylinder head (loosen bolts starting from the outside, then coming in).

VERY IMPORTANT: If you have a D15 block (or any D-series block with an oil jet for that matter), you need to make sure that you remove the oil jet between cylinders 2 and 3 when you do this swap. If you don’t, you won’t have VTEC. I forgot to pull the oil jet out the first time. You won’t get a code, your ECU will say your solenoid is fine and everything is working great but VTEC will not actually engage. Make sure you remove the oil jet. I took a screw, screwed it into the oil jet, and then pulled it out with a pair of pliers.

After you’ve pulled the oil jet, you’ll need to sand down the block surface so that no gasket is left caked on the block. (You won’t have to worry about this anymore because hopefully you’ll be using a Y8 metal gasket). If you get shavings in the cylinders, then fill the cylinders with warm soapy water and float the shavings out. You’ll do this by turning the crank over a few times with a 17mm until all the water is out. Make sure that there is NO liquid in the cylinders or head bolt holes when you put the head back on (If there is, you can crack your block when you torque down the head bolts). If you are using the manifolds from your stock motor, all you’ll need to do is unbolt your intake manifold (with throttle body) off of your old head so that you are ready to put it on the Z6 head. It’s only 8 bolts.

Now, let’s put your new head on (Taken from helms. I recommend you have the actual manual in front of you because it includes detailed pictures and diagrams):
NOTE:
-You can reuse your D15B7 head bolts with the D16Z6 swap…they are the same size
-Always use a new head gasket
-If you are using your old intake manifold with the new head, make sure you use a new intake manifold gasket, same goes for throttle body. If you removed it, you need a new gasket.
-Cylinder head and engine block surface must be clean (no water or dirt…even in the head bolt holes)
-Turn the crankshaft so that No. 1 piston is at TDC.

1. Install the intake manifold and tighten the nuts in a criss-cross pattern in 2 or 3 steps, beginning with the inner nuts.
2. Install the exhaust manifold and tighten the nuts in a criss-cross pattern in 2 or 3 steps, beginning with the inner nut.
3. Install the exhaust manifold bracket.
4. Install two dowel pins, head gasket, and cylinder head
-Apply clean engine oil on the bolt threads and washer contact surface
-Always use a new cylinder head gasket
-Turn the cam pulley to TDC before installing
5. Install the bolts that secure the intake manifold to its bracket but do not tighten them yet (optional, I decided not to do this because the intake manifold bracket is a bitch to get to)
6. Tighten the cylinder head bolts in two steps, working your way from the inside bolts to the outside bolts.
-Step 1: 22 lb ft
-Step 2: 53 lb ft
7. Install the exhaust pipe A on the exhaust manifold.
8. Tighten the bolts for intake manifold bracket (again, optional)
9. Install the exhaust pipe A on its bracket
10. After the installation, check that all the tubes, hoses, and connectors are installed correctly.
11. Adjust the valve timing.
12. Apply liquid gasket to the head mating surface of the number 1 and number 5 or number 6 cam holder then install the cylinder head cover (you can neglect this because you need to leave it off for the timing belt install)
13. Install air intake.
14. Fill radiator with coolant.

Alright, we’re getting there. Now all we have left to do is the timing belt, and the VTEC wiring.

COMPLETE timing belt and water pump replacement thread by Poison, GREAT info:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=649277

Lets do the timing belt first (Taken from helms. I recommend you have the actual manual in front of you because it includes detailed pictures and diagrams):
1. Remove the splash shield
2. Remove the power steering pump (should already be done)
3. Remove the A/C compressor adjust pulley with bracket and the belt (with A/C), then remove the alternator belt.
4. Remove the P/S bracket (should already be done)
5. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and pivot nut, then remove the belt.
6. Remove the cruise control actuator and the P/S tank bracket.
7. Remove the engine support nuts. Loosen the mount bolt and pivot the engine side mount rubber out of the way.
8. Remove the cylinder head cover (should already be done).
9. Remove the timing belt upper cover (should already be done).
10. Remove the special bolt and crankshaft pulley (you NEED an air gun for this).
11. Remove the timing belt lower cover.
12. Loosen the timing belt adjusting bolt 180 degrees to release the belt tension (should already be done).
13. Push the tensioner to release tension from the belt, then retighten the adjusting bolt.
14. Remove the timing belt from the pulleys.

I recommend that since you are replacing your timing belt, you go ahead and replace the water pump as well. It is not that expensive, and is only a few bolts. If the water pump fails, you can kiss your motor goodbye so it’s a good thing to get.

Okay, now that you’ve taken the old timing belt off (and hopefully put a new water pump in), lets put the new timing belt in (Taken from helms. I recommend you have the actual manual in front of you because it includes detailed pictures and diagrams):
1. Install the timing belt in the reverse order of removal; only key points described here.
2. Position the crankshaft and cam pulleys at TDC.
A. Set the crankshaft so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC (top dead center).
NOTE: Align the groove on the teeth side of the timing belt drive pulley to the lower arrow pointer on the oil pump.
B. Align the TDC marks on the cam pulley with the pointer on the back cover.
3. Install the timing belt.
4. Loosen the adjusting bolt, and retighten it after tensioning the belt.
5. Rotate the crankshaft (w/ 17mm socket) about 4 or 6 turns clockwise so that the belt may fit in the position on the pulleys.
6. Adjust the timing belt tension.
7. Check the crankshaft pulley and the cam pulley at TDC.
8. If the cam pulley is not positioned at TDC, remove the timing belt and adjust the positioning.

Make sure you adjust the tension the alternator and A/C belts, as well as the power steering belt. Look over everything and make sure it all looks good, because you’re almost done.

6. I’m done swapping the heads, now how do I make my VTEC work?
The P28 ECU plugs right in, you all you’ll need to do is wire the VTEC up. First, you’ll need to get an engine plug from a junkyard for the VTEC solenoid oil pressure.

You’ll need to run the blue wire (or whichever color is from the plug) to pin D6, and then run the black ground wire from the plug to anywhere on the motor. You then need to run the green wire from the VTEC solenoid to pin A4.

THAT’S IT! YOU’RE FINISHED! Make sure you’re not throwing any CEL’s, if you are, go back and check your work.

7. How much faster will my car be once it is done?
Well, my car definitely felt much better overall. The lower end will be a bit torquier, and your car will pull much better in the higher RPM’s (5000+). I feel the most difference on the highway, having the extra HP is very nice when you need to merge. The one downfall to a mini-me is the long transmission. The DX transmission is much longer than the EX, and the VX/CX is even worse. I did some calculations, at 7200 RPM here are your shift points with respective transmissions (using 195/50/15 tires, stock tire size):

CX/VX Transmission:
46 - 85 - 140 - 175

DX/LX Transmission:
37 - 68 - 102 - 132

EX/Si Transmission:
35 - 60 - 91 - 126

The gear ratios were taken from Mista Bone's tranny page. Emerika stated that the EX transmission shaved 7 tenths of a second off of his quarter mile time in his hatchback, you DEFINITELY want to get the EX transmission

I was finally able to run my mini-me in the quarter mile. As you can see, with the VTEC working and with the 20” tires (as well as some better driving) I was able to pull off a 15.9@86, a full second faster than with the B7 with I/E. I know my motor has even more potential than this because that run was with the long *** DX tranny

Setup:
1993 Honda Civic LX Sedan (Weighed in at 2320 lbs without driver)
D15B7 Block and Tranny
D16Z6 Head / Intake Manifold / Exhaust Manifold
Full Interior with Spare Tire, Tools
Short Ram Intake w/ removed headlight
Welded-on straight through eBay muffler
Stock Cat/Exhaust Piping
Original Clutch w/ 160,000 miles
No PS belt
175/50/13 All-Season tires on 13" VX Wheels @ 23psi

8. The mini-me is nice, but I want to make it even faster. What mods should I consider?
The number one modification you should do is the EX transmission. You can pick one up in the Honda-Tech classifieds or in a junkyard for about $200 bucks. They are worth their weight in gold. The usual intake/header/exhaust combination works very well. Exospeed, ZEX, and Skunk2 make very good SOHC VTEC camshafts that will add a good bit of power as well. If you want to take it even farther, you can use D16A1 Integra pistons (P29) that will put your compression way into the 12’s.

For more info on SOHC upgrades, click here - https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=335078

Shoutouts to:
Sander and Steve of Mixed Motorsports for all of their help
MistaBone for knowing everything and helping me whenever I had a question
Spade for all of his knowledge
Poison for his awesome timing belt / water pump writeup

Comments/additions are welcome

Last edited by TomCat39; 04-17-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (BauleyCivic)

I would reccommend not driving with the timing belt like that unless you want to make a post on honda-tech about how to replace valves and rehone your block.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a 96-00 timing belt and it has more adjustment than the vx timing belt
Old 07-04-2003, 10:30 PM
JV
Who?

Nice write up...
Old 07-04-2003, 10:43 PM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (JV)

nice write up...
Old 07-04-2003, 10:48 PM
New User

Verry nice write up and pics!
I did a similar setup, only with a D16y7 botom end and D16z6 head, and i felt a solid difference from the stock d16Z6.
I think that the reason you havent felt much of a change is partially due to the transmision, and also do to the manifolds. The D15B7 came with a single downpipe design exhaust manifold, while the Z6 came with a dual down pipe that flows much better, ALMOST as well as a header. Also, wich intake manifold are you using? The D16Z6 manifold is different from the D15. I know they look similar, but there are differences.
These heads are said to be the best flowing for the d series vtec applications, and leting them breath is important. My next experiment is to try a D16y8 intake manifold(already purchased) gasket matched to an LS throtle body.
Also, i agree with you, the 11:1 compression rumor is bull. I dont think the compression is even that high on the D16A6 mini-me setups. There arent any radical changes in bore or stroke between MOST d series, the changes come from the piston height and valve reliefs.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:56 PM
New User

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (euclidEH3)

ya know, after lookin at the pics, The d15 pistons look like they have a smaller quench area then the D16 pistons.. I need to go to a salvage yard and look at them inperson though. Your compression might be higher then i think it is.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:05 PM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (euclidEH3)

Whoa, it's me on the left!!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like this "Mini-Me." Mini-Me...you complete me!
Old 07-05-2003, 12:15 AM

It's funny, when you ask for a Z6 headgasket it's over $60 bucks...But the Y8 gasket is around $30...You're lucky you got the one you did.

Good luck with the SOHC!
Old 07-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (Mr. ThunderLips)

Nice write up. Much luck!.

Drew

Old 07-05-2003, 05:50 AM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (mooseknuckle)

I was going to go this route.
Then when my buddy was driving around, the motor dropped a valve.
So I went to a Z6 motor/ DX tranny. It does take a long time to wind out.

D motor
Old 07-05-2003, 08:16 AM

what head studs did you use???? Did you reuse your stock head studs or change them?

I have also heard the vx timing belt is the proper one, and that it is supposed to be tight fitting . . . this is an interesting dilemna.

Did you have to remove an engine mount in order to remove the head? Did you use hand tools or air compressor???
Old 07-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u spent 550 on a minime swap??? y didnt u just buy a complete z6 swap for that price
Old 07-05-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (chillax)

Nice write up...Hope that timing belt doesnt do any damage...

I have a question though...I know in a B series VTEC head installation on a non - vtec motor your have to install oil lines...

Why didn't you have to do it on a D Series??

Sorry if thats a newbie question...Thanks
Old 07-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (Si.Hatch.92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPOON_BeIgHtEeNsEe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u spent 550 on a minime swap??? y didnt u just buy a complete z6 swap for that price </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because that 550 included all new **** such as timing belt, distributor cap and rotor, water pump, head gasket, plug wires, oil change, MTF and other maintenace things. If I had got a Z6 swap i would have had to pay another $250 for basic maintenance stuff. A mini me really is only like $300-$400 with the necessary ****.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chillax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what head studs did you use???? Did you reuse your stock head studs or change them?

I have also heard the vx timing belt is the proper one, and that it is supposed to be tight fitting . . . this is an interesting dilemna.

Did you have to remove an engine mount in order to remove the head? Did you use hand tools or air compressor???</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the head studs from the Z6. However, upon inspection, realized they were the exact same things as the B7 studs.

Yeah, about the timing belt, I don't know. I am going to wait a few days to see if it loosens up at all and the whine goes away, otherwise, I will try out a z6 timing belt. The B7 belt was WAY too long, so that one will definitely not work.

No I did not have to remove an engine mount to do the head, BUT i had to remove the drivers side mount to get the timing belt off. We used a combination of air tools and hand tools. Air tools were really only necessary when loosening the crankshaft pulley bolt.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si.Hatch.92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice write up...Hope that timing belt doesnt do any damage...

I have a question though...I know in a B series VTEC head installation on a non - vtec motor your have to install oil lines...

Why didn't you have to do it on a D Series??

Sorry if thats a newbie question...Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...I hope so too. I posted a thread in the d-series forum and another person had that problem as well. I have heard it is the accessory belts, the A/C tensioner pulley, and some other things. I am going to just wait a few days to see if the problem fixes itself, if not I will fix it.

About the oil lines, I don't know. The head just bolted right up, and the only thing we had to do was wire the VTEC. I know on D-series VTEC is only on the intake valves, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it? But...no VTEC oil line installation is needed with a mini-me head swap.

Keep 'em comin!
Old 07-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up and i really like that u did it in a sedan. ive got a 92 sedan that needs a motor so i think im ganna get a d15b wich is basicly the same as your setup only im ganna get the hydro short gear tranny to go with it. id look for a cheap ex or si tranny it will make a world of differance.

Old 07-05-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (bmcc72)

i threw a rod in my 94 ex and i just recently bought a y7 swap for 300 bucks but im lazy and still have to take out my motor thats been in there for months. its half-*** out of there and when i get the head out im takin it to the shop to get rebuilt. its getting a full port and polish job, zex 59300 cam and zex titanium valve springs and retainers. hopefully it will be a pretty nice motor and will work. i talked to euclideh3 about what he did and he said that there was minimal stuff that ill have to do. which i was excited about. ill get back to everyone about it when its all said and done.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:52 PM

so did you buy new head studs or just reuse the b7 ones? Also if you did buy head studs how much did they cost?

Everywhere I have looked the VX timing belt was the one recommended . . . so maybe it just needs to be broken in??? But you would know more then I would, seeing as how you have actually performed the swap
Old 07-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (chillax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chillax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so did you buy new head studs or just reuse the b7 ones? Also if you did buy head studs how much did they cost?

Everywhere I have looked the VX timing belt was the one recommended . . . so maybe it just needs to be broken in??? But you would know more then I would, seeing as how you have actually performed the swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

I reused the studs from the Z6 head...although I could have used the B7 ones without a problem.

Well, Sander (the guy who installed it, also a professional mechanic) said that it was WAAAAYYYY too tight going on, because the tensioner was all of the way loose and the belt still had to be scruched on there. I am pretty sure it is the timing belt or the A/C tensioner pulley, so I am going to look into both of those soon.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:16 PM

i have the exact same car and i am looking to do the exact same thing only with a y8 head and intake mani. not sure hoiw much of a difference that it but oh well. how long did this swap take?? is there reallyu not much of a difference in power? how much do you think the transmission would be from an ex or si? that kicks *** that youre doing that to a 4 door. would i be able to reuse my intake with this swap? was it hard hooking up the vtec? i hope everything goes smooth. good luck.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (redciviclx14)

nice write-up man.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:32 PM
NrG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (James.)

nice write-up, but was it worth it?
the time, the money, etc. for how much performance gain?
Old 07-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up, you'll have to keep us posted on the swap holds up.

I put an ex trany on my 95 cx. You will notice a huge difference with it on your car. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:41 PM

Default Re: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (civicmatt)

nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FAQ: D15 SOHC VTEC Mini-Me : Massive Write-Up (56k Goodbye)