Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch!

Old 05-22-2003, 12:39 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch!

Tools Required: 12mm. wrench and socket, 17mm. socket, Standard phillips head screwdriver, Bigger phillips head screwdriver, Wide flathead screwdriver, A "tack puller", Wheel Chocks, and scissors.

Total Time: ~ 3 Hours.

STEP 1: Remove the center console, center lover cover, and the E-brake cover or arm rest by unscrewing the screws with a normal phillips screwdriver. Flip the plastic lid up between the center console and the E-brake cover and unscrew the 2 screws with a bigger phillips screwdriver. (If anybody wants to see a diagram of this removal, i took a picture of it from my Helms manual, just PM me).

STEP 2: Starting closest to the door hinge, gently and slowly pull back the door sill molding. Stick your fingers under it when you can and slowly pull upwards and it should pop out of its fittings in the door sill.

The circled areas in this pic are where the "spikes" on the door sill molding are riveted through the carpet, through little slits near the carpet edge. There are little metal push nuts on the bottom of the spikes holding the carpet to the door sill, remove these with pliers or a tack puller.

STEP 3: Flip up the plastic lid on the "opener cover" and unscrew the screw behind the lid with a standard phillips screwdriver. The other circled area is where a slit is in the opener cover, a piece of metal from the mechanism behind the cover is within this slit to keep the cover from moving, gently pull the cover away from the slit to free it. Next pull the cover off.

STEP 4: Look behind the center lower cover and locate a black plastic cover. Unscrew the plastic screw with your standard phillips screwdriver, do the same thing for the other side of the black cover.

Then, unhook the cover apart with your hands.

Here's a pic of part of the carpet that was on top of the box, this gives you an idea of what it looks like behind there.

STEP 5: Remove the 2 front seats, there are 4 12mm. bolts holding each seat in. the pics below are of the driver seat bolt locations.

Remove this cover by sliding it away from the seat.

The next pic shows the underside of the drivers seat. Unclip the gray connectors, and remove the wire from the zip tie.

STEP 6: Remove the rubber cover that hides both of the seatbelt bolts. There are 2 bolts total, one on the drivers side, and one on the passengers side. Use your 17mm. socket to unscrew them.

STEP 7: Start removing the clips that are holding the carpet in. Start from the front of the car and then move to the back. I used a tack puller do undo the clips.
Near the pedals, on the floor, should be one black clip holding the carpet to the floor, pull the clip out. Also above the clutch pedal should be a plastic hanger that is attached to the firewall mat, unhook that also.

The next pic shows a clip under the glove compartmet area, unscrew this clip with a wide flathead screwdriver.

Here's a pic of what the black plastic screw looks like, it screws in the clearish white tab thing that is in the firewall mat.

Next remove the backseat, go here: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=512901

Locate the 3 black clips behind the 2 front seats and pull them out.

STEP 8: Cut the carpet in 2 locations, and start to pull what you can out of there. Start from the front and work your way towards the back.
The first cut i made was the little piece of carpet that was on top of that black plastic cover, i cut it right in half.

The second cut i made was near where i took off my center lower cover, i cut from there to where my SRS wires were coming up through my carpet. (BTW, these are the 2 cut locations that the Helms manual instructs, i have a picture of the diagram from the manual. If anybody wants to see it, PM me).

Pull the carpet out slowly, and lift the carpet over this mounting bracket.

STEP 9: Put wheel chocks under your 2 rear tires, i used 2 block of wood Slowly release your E-brake and test to see if your car is secured enough by the wheel chocks.

Unscrew these 2 bolts with a 12mm. socket.

Unscrew this screw with a standard phillips screwdriver.

Unscrew this nut assembly with a 12mm. wrench, i marked the top of this nut with a pen, and counted the revoultions as i removed it, so i would know how much to tighten it when i put it back on.

Here's a pic of the removed E-brake lever, and the screw locations.

Here's a pic of the unscrewed nut assembly.

STEP 10: SLIDE THE WHOLE CARPET OUT, and bolt up the E-brake lever, the seatbelts, the 2 front seats and if you want, the center console area and backseat!!!

AFTER PICS:

WEIGHT:

Weight: ~ 7 lbs.

Detailed Tar Removal How To Coming Soon!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (VX)

Nice. Like I asked in the last How To, did you calibrate the scales for the wood and cans on it?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very very nice how:to
Old 05-22-2003, 12:45 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (acuracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acuracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice. Like I asked in the last How To, did you calibrate the scales for the wood and cans on it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes i did, i calibrated it several times, and put weights on it, to make sure it was accurate, i also tapped on everything i weighed several times to get an accurate reading.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good Stuff, all I need now is to wait for ur How to Remove Tar.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:51 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (UnrealSpeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UnrealSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Good Stuff, all I need now is to wait for ur How to Remove Tar. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, i'm about 90% done with that too, i should have that how too up in a couple of days.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (B2FiNiTY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2FiNiTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very very nice how:to </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-22-2003, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (Eddie HatchBlack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddie HatchBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good job on the how-to but why in the world did it take you 3 hours? Did you stop for lunch or somethign?
Old 05-22-2003, 08:08 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (93eg-EKhybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg-EKhybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good job on the how-to but why in the world did it take you 3 hours? Did you stop for lunch or somethign?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because, i couldn't do it all in one day, i have school so i did a little bit here and there, then i had to reinstall stuff to be able to go to school ETC. plus taking the right angles for the pics and stuff eats a lot of time up, and the manual wasn't 100% thorough, so i had to actually think a little bit on how to remove this, otherwise for you guys, this should be a breeze!
Old 05-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ha great write-up
Old 05-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. Another great how-to post from you. I hope that these get archived somewhere. So you did this for more weight reduction? And are you keeping your carpet or selling it?
Old 05-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (94RedSiGal)

People generally have the misconception that "oh it's only 7lbs, I bet that helped". They said that all the time at the track when I took out random stuff like the glovebox in my integra, but all-in-all I got a DC2 down to 2225 w/o me in it, so every small piece counts.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (Quik Chris)

Looks exactly like my hatch when I bought it

Me personally I would skip removing the ebrake assembly and just cut the piece of carpet under there. Up to you
Old 05-22-2003, 10:00 AM

nice write up. very informative. but damn looks like its alot of work haha
Old 05-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great write ups. Very well put together
Old 05-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (Quik Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quik Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">People generally have the misconception that "oh it's only 7lbs, I bet that helped". They said that all the time at the track when I took out random stuff like the glovebox in my integra, but all-in-all I got a DC2 down to 2225 w/o me in it, so every small piece counts. </TD></TR></TABLE>So on track days, do you skip breakfast? Or do the weight loss thing that wrestlers will do in order to qualify for a lower weight class level? Just curious as to the level of your dedication. lol.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Banned

BTW--you dont need to take your Ebrake handle out. All i did was cut that tiny peice that is directly under it.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:30 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch! (blykins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blykins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW--you dont need to take your Ebrake handle out. All i did was cut that tiny peice that is directly under it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wanted to cut as little of the carpet as possible. So that's why i took the extra measure to try and avoid cutting the carpet under the E-brake lever.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if 7 lbs means that much to you more power to you
Old 05-22-2003, 12:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL, i'm about 90% done with that too, i should have that how too up in a couple of days.</TD></TR></TABLE>

make sure you weigh as much of it as you can.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:44 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94RedSiGal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow. Another great how-to post from you. I hope that these get archived somewhere. So you did this for more weight reduction? And are you keeping your carpet or selling it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm finally out of school for the summer, i have no money, and i wanted to do something to my car that would require little to no money, and weight reduction is what i chose. It's basically simple and free, and i got to learn about my car too

I'm probably going to try and sell my backseat, carpet, and center console area.

And yes the carpet is only 7 pounds, but in the process of removing my rear seat and carpet, I've also removed the: center console area, spare tire/ jack tools, cargo cover, sound deadening tar,spare tire lid, knee bolster, seat belt buckles, firewall mat ETC.

And the Total Weight i removed was around: 80lbs. And it was all free!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:48 PM

Overkill. Nice post, but for 7lbs try working out and eating better. At least youll be healthier for it and u wont have to be reminded your drive a gutted honda on the daily. P.S. in my wrestling days i lost 6.5 lbs in 2 hours (no rubber suits or **** either) so if u know your going to race, work out hard right before and then u can still have carpet.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info man
Old 05-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (poison)

nice write-up
Old 05-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car looks exactly like that right now. except i have all the rear moldings removed too, i dont want to remove the tar because its not painted underneath it!!!

id really like to see the weight of the tar and those rubber pads behind the pedals!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [FAQ] Detailed How To: Remove Carpet From An EH Hatch!