Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Teins

Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teins

Hi guys,

I have a 98spec JDM ITR. My previously planned build was into a 99 Civic 4 door sedan, but it's all been changed, based on having purchased this car.

For the most part all my parts will still work, with a few minor exceptions.

The question I have is regarding my Tein Control Master Flex Coilover with EDFC. I know the fronts will bolt in just fine, but how do I get the rears to work considering they're the eye type? I have a basic idea, but I'd like some input please. Pros and cons?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Teins

You'd have to get 92-95 Civic rear lower control arms. I know the North American Civics came with the eye type, but not sure what the other regions got (I think the JDM cars were the ITR style).

I don't think a 96-00 Civic rear LCA will bolt to a DC2 chassis. Only the 92-95 style will.

Still, I am not a fan of that style of rear LCA. I'd sell the Teins and get something made for the car.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todd00
You'd have to get 92-95 Civic rear lower control arms. I know the North American Civics came with the eye type, but not sure what the other regions got (I think the JDM cars were the ITR style).

I don't think a 96-00 Civic rear LCA will bolt to a DC2 chassis. Only the 92-95 style will.

Still, I am not a fan of that style of rear LCA. I'd sell the Teins and get something made for the car.
Aftermarket lca's? If I used say a BuddyClub, Skunk2, BWR or Function7 EK lca, would it bolt straight in and work?

Selling the Teins aren't really an option. I'd lose big, and not be able to replace them.

Can the lower portion of the Tein rear shock be modded or replaced?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will this work correctly?

I know the EK lca's are longer and thinner than the DC/EG lca's.
A friend used aftermarket EK lca's in his EG, and to accommodate for the added length of the EK lca, he used adjustable upper control arms to correct the camber.

Safe? Long term short term effects? Can this impede suspension performance in any way?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so you have non itr teins correct?

you just need standard integra rear lca's rs/ls/gsr

you can not use ek rear lca's on your dc2 they will not fit
Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 01-0720
so you have non itr teins correct?

you just need standard integra rear lca's rs/ls/gsr

you can not use ek rear lca's on your dc2 they will not fit
So the standard Integra lca's are fork type, but not the same as EK Lca's?

In other words, they would be the same shorter length, and thicker, as the DC / EG lca's are, but will accomodate fork type shock?

Does this mean this lca is specific only to the non itr integras?

So if ordered a set of Skunk2 lca's for my car, I'd just need to order 94-01 non-itr lca's?
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.function7.com/products/eglca

So will these be direct bolt in and work with my fork type Teins?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes those are the ones you need
Old 10-12-2013, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, if I get any brand that specific to a non- ITR 94-2001, it'll be direct bolt on and will use fork type shocks? These are a bit pricey so maybe Skunk2?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://store.skunk2.com/suspension-t...arms-4161.html

Is this correct?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any 92-95 EG, delsol, or 94-01 integra lca will work for what you need to do.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to clarify, and please bear with me because I need to be certain before I buy. The confusion for me is obviously in the fact that the North American setups are probably different to South Africa:

The JDM (like mine)/USDM ITR takes an eye type shock and lca.

The JDM/USDM non- ITR takes a fork type shock and lca, which is shared with a USDM EG Civic and CRX.

Although this is also a fork type lca its not the same as an EK fork type lca, which is longer and flatter.

So, to make my fork type Teins (which are actually for an EK9) work on my ITR, I need to get the non-itr/eg/crx shorter and wider fork type lca, and not the EK fork type lca?

So effectively, the gold skunks in the link above will be perfect?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Correct, the skunks will be fine. But since they have ek forks, you may have to shave a bit from the bushing for it to fit on the actual lca due to the width difference.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol, you took the next question right out of my mouth.

The guys at Function7 returned my mail (great service).

According to them, their part I figured I'd need (the part in the link I posted, same equivalent as in the Skunk link), will not work, because EG forks are wider than EK forks.

The part they will supply will be a custom EG arm, with a modified centre bearing to accommodate the EK shocks narrower fork. No additional charge, same price as stock item. (great service again)

In other words, the same part as in their link I posted , same as the Skunk equivalent, but with the bushing shaved down?

Also, will changing to either of these lca's require further modification or replacement of any other oem components, bar the shocks? Fit the lca's, coilovers and done?
Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well not shaved down, sounds like theyll just press in the ek bushings (since theyre shorter) to the eg/dc lca's. But either way itll be what you need for a straight bolt on application, so yeah basically the part in the link you posted with the right bushings for the ek fork to fit with out needing to do any modding.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please stay away from skunk2 junk , definitely go with function7 they might cost a little more, but they are of far greater quality and as you have already have experienced they have excellent customer service and stand by there product
Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Teins

Originally Posted by kaycee_00
Well not shaved down, sounds like theyll just press in the ek bushings (since theyre shorter) to the eg/dc lca's. But either way itll be what you need for a straight bolt on application, so yeah basically the part in the link you posted with the right bushings for the ek fork to fit with out needing to do any modding.
Yes. That does make more sense.

Originally Posted by 01-0720
please stay away from skunk2 junk , definitely go with function7 they might cost a little more, but they are of far greater quality and as you have already have experienced they have excellent customer service and stand by there product
I'm looking for a price on the Function7, their products look superb. There are no distributors in SA, vs Skunk. I mean, how bad could the Skunk stuff possibly be.

If we're talking small difference, perhaps, but it's all x10 on the SA Rand vs. US$. And that's before shipping and customs. It may come down to affordability, although I am partial to the Function7's.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might be better off just seeing if its possible to press ek bushings into stock civic/integra lca's if price is a concern. Itd basically be the same thing as what f7 was offering you, assuming the bushing o.d. is the same size. But as 01-0720 said, dont waste money on the skunk products. If you do a search on here youll see the problems people have with them.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really! That bad? I just fitted a Phi Fifty. I also have a variety of their products, including upper sway bars, front and rear, pro valve train, etc.

You don't get integras in SA, so there's no chance I'd get oem lca's, and the EG's here take eye type shocks.

Besides, that's a downgrade on an itr, to use a non-itr oem lca. Still is an upgrade to go aftermarket fork type lca's though.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your right. Well the one major thing that kept happening with the skunk lca's were the bushings deteriorating quickly, not that they're going to snap in half while your going down the road. But if you do get the skunk ones your going to have to do the shaving, unlike the ones f7 would send you. If the price between the two isnt that big of a difference id spend the extra though.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still trying to get an idea of price on the F7 lca's. I have a great import parts supplier locally, but by his own admission, F7's are more expensive, so I'm going to wait on him to give me some pricing feedback.

Last edited by Junaid K; 10-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has *got* to be a better solution, even in South Africa, then going the pseudo-custom (and inferior style) rear LCA.

If you had a set of Motons or Penske coilovers or something...I could understand wanting to make them work. But Tein Flex's aren't exactly the best coilovers in the first place and you'd be just as well off selling them for whatever you can get out of them and picking up something like a Ground Control setup with a good shock (Bilstein, Koni, etc).

Point being...sell the Teins (for whatever you can get out of them) and get a better coilover that'll work with your current rear LCA. Don't Band-Aid for a coilover that is only a midrange coilover in the first place.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get me wrong. In SA, you can get anything u want, if you're prepared to pay.

The current exchange rate at R10:US$1 is the worst its been in a long time, so importing anything isn't a good idea, and I doubt that'll change for a while.

The value of the Teins I have, with the EDFC is worth around $2500/3000 in SA. If I tried to sell, I'd be lucky to get $500. The guys simply don't have the disposable income in the current economy. Hypothetically, if I did sell for $500, which I doubt, I'd still need to add to more than double that figure, to buy a 'cheap' set like Maxtrac or Megan, etc.

So, realistically, buying a $300 set of good aftermarket lca's and installing a decent coilover is going to make more sense within my context, than fitting a set of crappy coilovers, entirely to retain the stock eye lca's.

That said, I would prefer keeping the eye type lca, so I did contact Tein, in an effort to see if I could buy just the lower eye section of the rear shocks, as they are removable.

No answer yet.