Notices

91 civic anti theft questions

Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 91 civic anti theft questions

Hi I'm a new owner to a 91 civic dx, and before I start dumping money into this thing I want to know what type of security systems work best for all honda owners? I reside in socal so the crime level in this area is low. Some of the ideas I was considering were getting a viper alarm, however I'm really interested in killswitches I just don't know how to do them, if I were to do some I would like to do the fuel pump, main relay, and ignition. Can anyone help me or give me a write up?

I just wanted to ad that I was talking to a guy and this is what he told me to do but I just don't understand can someone please explain go into detail

This is exactly what he told me

On the thermostat housing its 3-4 wires screwed into it those ground wires control ecu main relay dizzy an fuel pump take the wires off connect to one good wire to a 2 prong switch an the other prong run wire to ground make sure switch is were only you no were it is so nobody else no Use the info I gave you very easy an simple to do this is what I an all my buddies have
Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 civic anti theft questions

That's one long sentence. I would have read it but got lost at thermostat.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonGSR
That's one long sentence. I would have read it but got lost at thermostat.
Lol I know I couldn't understand it either. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

collage
Old 10-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no one security system is going to be "best". if somebody wants your **** they're gonna get your ****. the only thing you are trying to do is deter and also buy time for you to get back to your car.

the alarm systems with the 2 way are nice to give you a heads up when your alarm is going off. i went with a crimeguard because it was the cheaper option for an alarm designed for manual tranny auto start. python also makes a nice one for a few bucks more. i also have an old school kill switch hidden and i plan on getting a quick release steering wheel x.O

even with all that if somebody wants my car they're going to get it
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glockjs
no one security system is going to be "best". if somebody wants your **** they're gonna get your ****. the only thing you are trying to do is deter and also buy time for you to get back to your car.

the alarm systems with the 2 way are nice to give you a heads up when your alarm is going off. i went with a crimeguard because it was the cheaper option for an alarm designed for manual tranny auto start. python also makes a nice one for a few bucks more. i also have an old school kill switch hidden and i plan on getting a quick release steering wheel x.O

I have a flat bed with fold down ramps and a 10 ton winch. I'll take your car even if it didn't have wheels. And I'll never go inside.

OP, kill switches are nice. They are about as good as locking your doors. The common day theif often just looks for open doors.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for all the feed back!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by schueytenten
collage
? Do you mean college
Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by glockjs

Yup I really just want something that will slow down a thief, because I know that if someone really wanted to get in my car they will do it no matter what. As far as a flatbed I highly doubt anyone will go through all that hassle for a honda S*** with a flatbed my last option would be a honda.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jsanchezeEf91
Yup I really just want something that will slow down a thief, because I know that if someone really wanted to get in my car they will do it no matter what. As far as a flatbed I highly doubt anyone will go through all that hassle for a honda S*** with a flatbed my last option would be a honda.
Honda motors are easy to sell. Honda civics are the most stolen car in the states, I believe. That was a couple years ago when I read that.

If you want to slow the theif down. Locked doors, a very well hidden main relay kill switch, and some sort of alarm set up to go off with 1. broken glass 2. hood opening 3. ignition tampering. I have also seen alarms that work with a magnetic field that can go off if someone reaches into, for example, a convertable with the top down. I assume those are pretty pricy, but it's always an option.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Honda motors are easy to sell. Honda civics are the most stolen car in the states, I believe. That was a couple years ago when I read that.

If you want to slow the theif down. Locked doors, a very well hidden main relay kill switch, and some sort of alarm set up to go off with 1. broken glass 2. hood opening 3. ignition tampering. I have also seen alarms that work with a magnetic field that can go off if someone reaches into, for example, a convertable with the top down. I assume those are pretty pricy, but it's always an option.

Could you give me a write up on how to do a main relay switch?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could you give me a write up on how to do a main relay switch?
Man, don't want to be overally mean, but use google to search. It's super easy. With that said, I found it for you.

Originally Posted by 95TeggyRacer
Main Relay Kill Switch

This modification will disable all components connected to the main relay.

Difficulty: Easy

Time: 20 min. (or more depending on switch location)

I Have included close up pictures for wire, color, and location reference. As well as a list of wire terminals and destinations

Materials and Tools:

-Desired length of wires for switch location (20 gauge or thicker)
Example:

(having dual insulated wire like shown makes routing and looming super easy)

-Wire Loom (Get enough to sufficiently if not completely hide all new wiring)
(should be big enough to fit around all wires for harness and new switch wires)

-Electrical Tape

-Wire Strippers

-Wire Cutters

-Soldering Iron

-Solder

-Switch

Example:
(this is the same switch I have/it's a 5a 125vac switch)

-Other Materials For Hiding Switch Better

Steps:

1.Find a location for your switch. (It doesn’t have to be hard to access to be well hidden)
2.Make sure the switch fits and won’t have or create any clearance issues.
3.Determine the length of wire needed to extend from your switch to the main relay while staying hidden.
3 1/2. Remove anything necessary to run wires.
4.Run your kill switch wires along your desired path. (leave a couple inches slack on either end)
5.Find the Ground Wire for the main relay harness and cut it at the desired point.
6.Strip both ends of the cut Ground Wire.
7.Strip the ends of your kill switch wires that are at the relay end
8.Solder Kill Switch Wires to the 2 ends of the cut Ground Wire.
9.Tape the new connections to keep the wires insulated.
10.Mount your switch in the desired location.
11.Strip both wire ends at the switch.
12.Solder Kill Switch Wires to the switch.
13.If possible insolate the connections
14.Test the switch. (it would suck to have to tear a bunch of loom and tape off to fix something)
15.Go back and loom all exposed wires. Make your work as hidden as humanly possible.

15 1/2.It was brought to my attention that a thief could easily bypass this by sticking a wire into the pin and
grounding it straight to the body. If you are worried about this you could always relocate the relay. (I didn't
mention this earlier because I didn't feel it was neccessary after all looming and taping was completed)

16.Put Everything back together.
17.Sit back and enjoy your new layer of security

Location of main relay: Right above hood release lever and next to fuse box.

Wire Colors:

1-(94-01): Green/Blue : To ECM Connector Terminal A16 (FLR)
2-(94-01): Blue/White : To ST. Switch
3-(94-01): Black : To Ground
4-(94-97): Yellow/Green : (98-01): ? : To Fuel Pump
5-(94-97): Black/Yellow : (98-01): *Yellow/Green* : To IGN. 1
6-(94-97): Yellow/Black : (98-01): ? : To ECM Connector Terminals A11 & A24 (IGP)
7-(94-01): Yellow/White : To BAT. Positive

There’s some info that I’m missing for later models. As well as a questionable color for terminal 5. If anyone can confirm and give me the missing info I would greatly appreciate it. Just PM or reply with info.

Please feel free to leave any comments questions or suggestions. Let me know if there is any info I left out or that you need.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Man, don't want to be overally mean, but use google to search. It's super easy. With that said, I found it for you.
Thanks man I really appreciate and believe me iv done research. The main purpose of this forum is to help others with questions or problems and give each other feedback it might be easy to read or say but actually doing it is the hard part. Again I appreciate your help, I will now try to do this my self
Old 10-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man I really appreciate and believe me iv done research. The main purpose of this forum is to help others with questions or problems and give each other feedback it might be easy to read or say but actually doing it is the hard part. Again I appreciate your help, I will now try to do this my self
Figuring stuff out is the hard part for me. I can search and find write ups all day without a problem. Doing it is easy. My engine swap took me months to figure out. There were a lot of little things I didn't understand. But actually doing it, might have taken me a weekend.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wheel Boot
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
The one that covers the nuts is the best. Those things are a pain.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm actually thinking of getting one, you can never be too safe