Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2004 Honda Accord check engine light

Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Honda Accord check engine light

Hi all,

I drive a 2004 Honda Accord with roughly 87,000 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago, I got an oil change for the car and it has been running smoothly.

Today I noticed that the 'check engine' light turned on in my car. My closest guess is that the mechanic did not reset the light once he did the oil change.

I wanted to clarify whether the 2004 Honda Accord has a seperate light for oil, or does the 'check engine' light turn on even when an oil change is required? Kindly help.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Honda Accord check engine light

It's a Malfunction Indicator Lamp. It's explained in the owner's manual. Check the fuel cap first.
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM
New User

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the fuel cap and it was tightly secured.

I remember I had this light come up after my oil change once before too, and the mechanic just followed a simple procedure to turn the light off. However I am concerned whether its indicating for an oil change or for an actual engine malfunction.

Is the 'oil change' lamp different than 'malfunction indicator' lamp?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The oil change lamp is different. The malfunction indicator lamp should not have come on after an oil change, as it shouldn't affect it.

If it is the gas cap, the owner's manual states it may take 3 days for it to go out.

An OBD-II scan tool will read if there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). A mechanic can read if there are any DTCs (but they usually charge). Autozone usually will not charge you to do a free read for codes.

If you get any codes, please post them on this forum and someone may help you. Also state whether your Accord is 4 cylinder or V6, when you repost.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 PM
New User

So i went to autozone and got a diagnostics done. The code I got was 'p0141'. its for oxygen sensor, bank 1 sensor 2 (sensor after the catalytic converter'.

But the funny part is, now my 'check engine' lamp is off. how important is it to replace this part and what happens if i drive around without replacing immidiately?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can keep driving. If it comes back, then check the wiring and connector; if wiring okay then replace the sensor. You have what is called an "intermittent failure", which means a system may have had a failure, but it checks OK now.

Normally, the Malfunction Indicator Light comes on if the problem is detected during two consecutive drive cycles, and may go off if the problem for the sensor isn't continuously being detected in several more drive cycles.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-11-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Info:
Your car has an Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) sensor in the exhaust manifold (before cat) and sends signals to the ECM/PCM (car's computer) which varies the duration of fuel injection accordingly. Note: This was not the sensor for your trouble code, it is included to give you a better understanding of the system.

The secondary heated oxygen sensor (secondary HO2S) (one after the cat) detects the oxygen content in the exhaust gas downstream of the warm up catalytic converter and sends signals to the ECM/PCM which varies the duration of the fuel injection accordingly. The ECM/PCM compares the secondary heated oxygen sensor output with the A/F sensor output to determined cat efficiency. (This was the sensor for your trouble code.)

Recommendation:
Generally in most cars, the secondary heated oxygen sensor is used to determine the catalytic converter efficiency (to tell if cat is still good or bad). On most cars, the secondary oxygen sensor won't affect drivability. However, since Honda's service manual also states that the secondary HO2S sends signals to the ECM/PCM which varies the duration of the fuel injection accordingly, I would recommend that if this code ever did come back, to replace it when you have a chance, it doesn't have to be immediately; but, to check it and possibly replace it.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-11-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd suggest you run a complete fuel system cleaner like "guaranteed to pass" (emissions) fuel cleaner especially with your mileage.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Trial User

I have a 2006 Honda Accord Type-S with approx 118 000miles.

My Engine Light LED was due to a faulty "A-B Correlation Sensor". It sits in the top right corner of the engine and is a small black box. This sensor, to what I understand, is equivelant to a fuel sensor / regulator.
Once they replaced it the light remained off. Pre-changing the sensor I tried all the advice on the net (fuel cap, disconnect battery etc) but none of this helped as the LED came back everytime.

I took it to a Honda agent, and the workshopmanager almost immediately identified the problem without connecting the computer. He obviously confirmed his diagnosis with the computer.
Symptoms where the car loosing power, almost going into a sort of limp mode. According to the Honda agents this is to be expected with such a faulty unit, and this is really about the only problems these engines have.

I paid approx ZAR 2000.00 for the part and had to be imported from Japan. It took approx. 2 weeks to ship.

Last edited by SpartanMBR; 10-10-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You most likly need the sensor replaced they are known to go bad i am assuming its a 4cyl its the second sensor in the cat and it plugs under the passenger seat . You need to unbolt the seat to get to the plug .
Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the sensor is not uncommon to fail in 03-07 Accords. The light will come on again. It is at this point an intermittent failure. While it is possible that something besides the sensor could be the problem, the most likely failure is the sensor itself. It is fairly cheap and easy to replace if you can. Search around and there is plenty of info on P0141. Here is an older thread that might be helpful https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-crosstour-2003-2012-118/po141-03-accord-2819404/
Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartanMBR
I have a 2006 Honda Accord Type-S with approx 118 000miles.

My Engine Light LED was due to a faulty "A-B Correlation Sensor". It sits in the top right corner of the engine and is a small black box. This sensor, to what I understand, is equivelant to a fuel sensor / regulator.
Once they replaced it the light remained off. Pre-changing the sensor I tried all the advice on the net (fuel cap, disconnect battery etc) but none of this helped as the LED came back everytime.

I took it to a Honda agent, and the workshopmanager almost immediately identified the problem without connecting the computer. He obviously confirmed his diagnosis with the computer.
Symptoms where the car loosing power, almost going into a sort of limp mode. According to the Honda agents this is to be expected with such a faulty unit, and this is really about the only problems these engines have.

I paid approx ZAR 2000.00 for the part and had to be imported from Japan. It took approx. 2 weeks to ship.
That sounds like the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor for the drive-by-wire throttle. I've seen a few of those failing on TL and TSX models (your Accord Type-S is a rough equivalent to the Acura TSX here in the US).
Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Targa250R
That sounds like the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor for the drive-by-wire throttle. I've seen a few of those failing on TL and TSX models (your Accord Type-S is a rough equivalent to the Acura TSX here in the US).
100% correct. Seems the invoice had a misprint, it is the APP sensor.

A question - my Accord is in very good condition mileage being just over 200000km's or 125000 miles. I cannot decide whether to keep the vehicle or sell it.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recently added fuel injector cleaner to my 2004 honda accord about a week ago, for the past couple days it has been hard to start, spuddering sounds before start, now tonight after a few cranks of that te check engine light came on. Can you help please help me as to why it's doing this?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the code.....everything is a "guess" without that. The car is trying to tell you the issue, listen to it
Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Trial User

In my 2004 Honda Accord Coupe (V6 3.0, 6-speed), my check engine light came on this morning. I flip through the car manual and it says it could be that my gas lid wasn't tight enough last time I screwed it on and to tighten it to 3-clicks. It said to drive around and if that was the only problem, the light should go off within 3 days.

Being cautious, I took it to my regular auto shop and an hour later, they said that that I had 2 bad O2 upstream sensors accord to the codes. They said the repair would be $500. Symptoms are less MPG and that if that is the problem, continued driving could cause damage to the catalytic converter.

I was going to take it to another shop to get a second opinion, however, about 2 hours later, the light went off. It's been off ever since and now I'm in a dilemma because I don't know if anything is wrong. Did it turn off because the gas cap was the problem?

My MPG has been on point.

One source of advice says I should drive it and if it comes back, on, get a second opinion. If it stays off, seek my $50 for the diagnostic back from the shop. Advice please?