Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Looking for help, preferably videos and how to on replacing a timing chain on my 2005 Honda Accord. I have removed the old chain, but cannot get the new chain to mount onto all three sprockets. Per the Haynes manual, I removed the timing chain tensioner, guide, and upper guide. However, the tension created would not permit me to reinstall the the tensioner arm. How do I reinstall the new chain? Do I need to take a sprocket off? Is there a special tool needed? Currently using basic wratchet tools. If there is a video known or a manual much better than the haynes guide, I would appreciate any links. One other additional question, is there a diagram showing where each of the screw types goes back into the timing chain cover? Thanks for your assistance.

v/r
Targeteer2
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

You need to compress the tensioner, and keep it compressed until you have everything in place. There is like a key or a pin on the ones I've seen, not sure what it is on the 2.4 motor.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of needing to replace your timing chain? I thought chains were normally non-replacement type items, just belts that you need to change every 60-100k.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to chime in here. I thought the timing chains in the Honda's would last the life of the car also. I own a 2004 Accord 4 cyl that jumped time and needed the chain replaced. It was under 100K miles and the $1,000 cost was covered by the dealer. My daughter has the same car with a check engine light code P0341 indicating cam and crank out of sync. Just has my mechanic verify that the cam chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. He recommends the cam chain, guides, oil pump chain, both tensors and both cam gears be replaced. Parts will run $500 plus my labor to install. From research on AllData, not a simple project. Very disappointed in the Honda timing chains.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zerngl
I have to chime in here. I thought the timing chains in the Honda's would last the life of the car also. I own a 2004 Accord 4 cyl that jumped time and needed the chain replaced. It was under 100K miles and the $1,000 cost was covered by the dealer. My daughter has the same car with a check engine light code P0341 indicating cam and crank out of sync. Just has my mechanic verify that the cam chain is stretched and needs to be replaced. He recommends the cam chain, guides, oil pump chain, both tensors and both cam gears be replaced. Parts will run $500 plus my labor to install. From research on AllData, not a simple project. Very disappointed in the Honda timing chains.

I would agree that the timing chain should last a lot longer. At least Honda covered the cost of your car timing chain replacement. There is no recommended service interval for the timing chain because they are typically last over 150K. The only time the chain has to be replaced is when it stretched and caused timing issues. You may want to contact the dealer to see if there is a recall on your model. I check the OEM part list and they are about $240 for the timing chain, the tensioner, tensioner arm, and chain guides. The water pump will run another $102. I don't think you need to replace the cam gears or the oil pump. If the parts alone is already $500, I would let the dealer do it. The V6 parts cost less (~$250) because of the timing belt and pulleys but labor cost runs it up to $1000 too. Consider the I4 engine is more compact, I would think it is easier to work on than the V6.

Last edited by Accordman1; 08-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: 2005 Honda Accord 2.4L Timing Chain Replacement

Returning to Honda Timing Chain issues. My daughters car with the P0341 code and verified lose timing chain died. It jumped time and I was told the valves would probably need to be replaced. Took a chance and replaced the chain, tensioner and guides for around $250 and the car runs great. My car, that had a stretched chain at just uner 100k and was replaced by the dealer is now showing the P0341 code again at 155K miles. Called the dealer and all they had to say was that this was unusual and only happens in cars where the oil is not changed regularly. I change at around 4-5,000 miles. Research shows reported issues with the Honda cam chain tensioner on the 4 cylinder model of the Honda with the K series tensioner. The defect causes it to lose tension resulting in the cam chain slipage, jumping time and could result in extensive valve damage. This will be my last Honda. Very disappointed in Honda for not standing behind its product and paying to correct this defect.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by foshoopd
Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of needing to replace your timing chain? I thought chains were normally non-replacement type items, just belts that you need to change every 60-100k.
Not true, timing chain is a replaceable part. Engines with timing chain will last much longer than timing belt and it does not break but it does stretch. When it stretches, the cam timing will be off and the sensor will detect it. At least, the timing chain will allow you to get home, timing belt break will let you stranded. Timing belt will break without any warning so manufacturers recommend servicer interval for it but not timing chain. Most high performance engines utilize timing chain rather than belt as it is more durable.

Last edited by Accordman1; 08-13-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Accordman1
Not true, timing chain is a replaceable part. Engines with timing chain will last much longer than timing belt and it does not break but it does stretch. When it stretches, the cam timing will be off and the sensor will detect it. At least, the timing chain will allow you to get home, timing belt break will let you stranded. Timing belt will break without any warning so manufacturers recommend servicer interval for it but not timing chain. Most high performance engines utilize timing chain rather than belt as it is more durable.
Don't you have it the other way around. As in high perf cars utilize belts than chains.

Such as Ferraris use belts and evos etc. etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all may be a combination of things. My 2005 Accord has 192K miles with the original chain. I had to change my belt on my '98 Prelude twice at 170K. Now that I have jinxed myself, I appreciate the cost estimates for parts!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, my 2005 Accord will crank, but not fire, and the dealer is saying $1500 to pull the motor apart to diagnose the issue. No codes, no mention of the green imobilzer light. I feel like he doesn't know and is chasing. Any suggestions? Oh, I have 192K miles on the original engine, and never had a major, no-start problem until now.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Accordman1
I would agree that the timing chain should last a lot longer. At least Honda covered the cost of your car timing chain replacement. There is no recommended service interval for the timing chain because they are typically last over 150K. The only time the chain has to be replaced is when it stretched and caused timing issues. You may want to contact the dealer to see if there is a recall on your model. I check the OEM part list and they are about $240 for the timing chain, the tensioner, tensioner arm, and chain guides. The water pump will run another $102. I don't think you need to replace the cam gears or the oil pump. If the parts alone is already $500, I would let the dealer do it. The V6 parts cost less (~$250) because of the timing belt and pulleys but labor cost runs it up to $1000 too. Consider the I4 engine is more compact, I would think it is easier to work on than the V6.
The dealer is asking for $1500 to tear into my 2005 Accord engine because it cranks but will not fire. How about that?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To get back on to the Timing Chain subject, what I find odd, is the Honda Service manual doesn't tell you how to replace the damn chain. Why would that be!!!???
Old 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
To get back on to the Timing Chain subject, what I find odd, is the Honda Service manual doesn't tell you how to replace the damn chain. Why would that be!!!???
Sure it does. The manual calls it the "cam" chain, but it has the procedure. Starts on page 6-12 in my 03-05 service manual.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Sure it does. The manual calls it the "cam" chain, but it has the procedure. Starts on page 6-12 in my 03-05 service manual.
Maybe that's why I didn't find it. Guess I better go back and look again.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Trial User

Returning to Honda Timing Chain issues. My daughters car with the P0341 code and verified lose timing chain died. It jumped time and I was told the valves would probably need to be replaced. Took a chance and replaced the chain, tensioner and guides for around $250 and the car runs great. My car, that had a stretched chain at just uner 100k and was replaced by the dealer is now showing the P0341 code again at 155K miles. Called the dealer and all they had to say was that this was unusual and only happens in cars where the oil is not changed regularly. I change at around 4-5,000 miles. Research shows reported issues with the Honda cam chain tensioner on the 4 cylinder model of the Honda with the K series tensioner. The defect causes it to lose tension resulting in the cam chain slipage, jumping time and could result in extensive valve damage. This will be my last Honda. Very disappointed in Honda for not standing behind its product and paying to correct this defect.

I'm french so i'm sorry about my english!! I had the same problem of you, on my accord 2005 2,4L. I change my head gasket, adjust my valve and the timing.. before I done everything my check engine was not 'ON' then after everything done P0341 showing... my engine run great and the idle is aproximately 750rpm. the only time my idle vary is when my a/c on... what do you do with your damn p0431??

sorry about my english hihi