Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

idle air control valve cleaning

Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle air control valve cleaning

On my 92 Accord I'm ready to clean the idle air control valve by spraying some cleaner into the two holes as described in this this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/%2A%2A%2Ahow-clean%2A%2A%2A-your-iacv-k-idle-air-control-valve-1575913/
In the instructions of the above thread it doesn't mention taking out the filter screen. Although the filter screen is apparently a separate part on its own that can be removed to clean, according to parts breakdown diagram. Here's a picture of my IACV with the dirty filter screen. I tried pulling it out but it seems awful stuck in there, doesn't wanna come. I suppose since it's so stubborn I could just spray away through it but seems like the spray cleaning would be more easily done if it was removed. Any comments please. thanks.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: idle air control valve cleaning

There is really no need to remove that screen all of your cleaning can be done with it in place. If you have access to an air compressor with a small blow gun that is all you need. Soak the internals with warm soapy water, or spray it with carb cleaner, and then hit it with some 60psi air.

That screen is pressed in place and very hard to get back in straight once you have removed it. Another note, if you bend or break it, there is no replacement part available. You would have to take a chance on getting a good one removed from another IACV.....waste of time

The Honda parts micro phish shows an O-Ring seal/gasket and that's all I see. There is no screen part of the O-Ring like the one on the VTEC solenoid.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay GhostAccord thanks for the reply. Actually I don't have access to an air compressor with small blow gun (wish I did). So I was just planning on spraying into the holes like that thread described (which now I'm noticing that I click on the link for the thread for some reason it doesn't load) and he was saying spray Simple Green in there or carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner. But yeah think I'll do what you suggest and at least soak the internals with the warm soapy water first, then spray inside best I can with the carb cleaner. And I won't attempt bothering to pull out that screen, thanks for the warning.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Warm water and simple green would work better than regular dish soap. Just make sure that if you are going to use both methods, warm water and carb/brake parts cleaner. Make sure all of the water is dried up before spraying in the chemical cleaner and vice versa.

There is one issue that I have found with most cheaper throttle body cleaners. That is that they tend to leave a film of oil on the surfaces of the parts you have cleaned. This oil film will only serve to promote dirt build up. If you can find original carburetor cleaner that evaporates, that would be the best. A plastic safe brake parts clean would also be a good option as it completely evaporates as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I soaked with warm water and simple green, the sprayed the heck out it with carb cleaner (the kind that evaporates quickly). But I didn't read your last post before spraying the chemical cleaner in so didn't wait until all the water is was dried up inside. Then I sprayed the heck out of it again with Brakleen. Got it pretty clean in there now I believe.
I'll be getting around next to cleaning the actual throttle body, and was planning on using this stuff: http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/s...181_?acesApp=0
It says safe for use on Teflon coated throttle bodies (no idea if mine is) but also says wash off immediately if sprayed on plastic surfaces. Also I think this particular stuff may be more for trying to clean the throttle body while it's still on the engine. I've removed mine and was planning on cleaning it up thorougly while it's off, so not really sure what might be best for that.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it is off the car the safest way to clean them is to soak them in hot water and scrub with simple green.