Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2003 Honda Accord Radio audio dead/static/not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 2003 Honda Accord Radio audio dead/static/not working

My 2003 honda accord radio/stereo audio goes dead abruptly, all I hear is occasional static. Sometimes, if I turn it on/off the sound may come back for a little while then goes to static/quiet again. Changing stations AM/FM doesn't help. With the CD I get the same problem, I can still load cds and tracks seem to play on display, but no audio can be heard.

Has anyone had the same problem? Is it the amplifier/fuse loose contact/bad volume button or something else? How do I check this?

Please help. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Honda Accord Radio audio dead/static/not working

sounds like a trip to a radio repair shop to fix a internal failed part.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM

i don't think it's fuse loose, since you can still hear the sound for a while, electrical connection failure ?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
New User

Wondering if you were able to get this problem corrected? I have an 03 Accord LX and recently started having the same problems.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM

I have the same problem as well. I called honda dealer and they told me that it could be the problem with the "stock amp". I am not 100% sure though, still trying to figure out the issue...
Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM
New User

Yes, I too called Honda 800 customer service, because I am also having an issue with the backlight on the radio, and the backlight is part of a service bulletin and they told me that 1st they could not help me because the LX model was not part of the service bulletin and 2nd if it was part of the bulletin, i was over on the miliage, I am at 125K and the service bulletin was only up to 100K. I am not too happy. I told them that when it comes time to purchase another car within the next year, I was planning on going with the Odyssey, but now i will have 2nd thoughts. Let me know if you figure it out. thx
Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Trial User

I also have recently started having this problem on my 2003 accord. The radio will give a sudden pop (when on ofcourse), and the sound will cut out. The backlight is still on, but no sound. CD will not produce sound either. Has anybody narrowed down what this could be?

thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have the answer?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

speaker wires are shorted somewhere. Either in the head unit or one of the speakers wires touching each other or touching ground.

same thing happened to one of my speakers when I installed new ones. sounds great, then some popping in and out sound, and then gone. every once in a while it comes back normal. I fixed my problem and nothing was damaged.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Trial User

I was told that this is a common problem because the radio is wired to the air conditioning system. I recently moved to SC from western NY and obviously use the air contitioning much more frequently here than I did up there and now have no radio. I was not pleased to find out that this virtually can not be fixed? I talked to a radio guy not a honda person who was nice enough to fill me in at no charge rather than charge me to "check it out" then give me the bad news. He said that he talks to at least one or two accord owners of this year model every week and it really should be a recall.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no sound but display is normal? do you have navi? short to ground in the wire(s) between the audio unit and speaker is possibility.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Trial User

No, Just basic Radio/CD player no navigation system.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Trial User

I am just now having this problem in my 2003 Accord. My knowledge of cars ends at where to put gas and windshield wiper fluid, so forgive me if my question has an obvious answer: I was told the problem was a bad amp; are the stereo and amp connected? Do I just replace the stereo and that will solve the problem?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Trial User

I, also, am experiencing the radio crackle problem. From reading through the thread, I have yet to read a confirmed fix (self or dealer) for this issue. If known, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Open the trunk, and check the speaker wire terminals. Check if they are damaged
Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Trial User

anyone have the answer? I also experience the same problem. anyone knows how much will it cost if I go to the honda service center. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Trial User

HNDA_4SHOOR, I tried to wiggle the speaker wires to recreate the situation, but nothing happened. This is a pretty odd situation. I can be driving down the road listening to the radio, and then all of a sudden I hear a loud crackle come across the speakers. I can usually get the "normal" sound back after a few minutes by shutting off and turning on the radio, but that gets to be pretty annoying.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 PM

I have the same problem as well. When I turn the radio on the indicator shows no volume then after 10 seconds the volume indicator goes up but still no sound. Occasionally I will hear a 'pop'. And every once in a while, the radio will actually work intermittently.

From this website, http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-ster...-honda-accord/, I tested the wire harness for resistance using a multimeter. I was not showing any resistance to my front right speaker so I ended up cutting both wires at the test harness. Unfortunately this did not fix this problem.

Of course its possible that I did not measure correctly but could the radio itself detect that it is not connected to the right speaker and disable the output to the speakers?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Trial User

Same problems here with the speakers cutting out after a loud pop. I have a 2005 Honda Accord LX.

A few months ago the problem started. I'll be driving down the road with the radio or CD player on, suddenly a loud "POP!" The speakers go silent but the power to the radio/CD player stays on, the display looks normal. Just no audio. I turn the power button off, wait a few seconds, turn it back on and all is OK.

Happens under all sorts of circumstances -- when volume is very low, when volume is normal, when the car has just been turned on, when the car & radio have been on for 30 minutes, when playing the radio, when playing a CD...

I cannot find any routine or set of circumstances that triggers this chronic problem. One time the radio was on but the volume was so low I forgot the radio was on, until I heard the loud "POP!" Usually turning the stereo off, waiting a few seconds, then turning it back on solves the problem until the next incident -- which might happen 30 minutes later or 3 days later.

Only started a few months ago. Been debating whether to buy a new stereo system or new speakers, but I don't even know WHAT is causing the problem -- so I don't know if that will FIX the problem.

IF it matters I've owned the car since 2006. The 2005 Accord LX was still under warranty when I bought it October 2006 (29,500 miles). The stereo in the car stopped working a month after I bought it. Wouldn't even turn on. Took it to the Honda dealership and they replaced it under warranty. Since then (late 2006) until now (2012), THAT replacement Honda stereo has worked fine.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have researched this as my 2003 Honda Accord does the same thing.........now it is off. If your car has less than 100, 000 miles the dealer will fix. It is a problem with the actual radio manufacturing.
and of course most have this issue after 100,000 miles
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine does the same thing, shopping now for a used radio.

Sean
Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chilly807
Mine does the same thing, shopping now for a used radio.

Sean
Well... found one used radio 500 miles from me, the junkyard wanted $250 plus shipping, not doing that. I installed a nice little Kenwood tuner (no cd, but who uses one anyway?) with USB and Aux ports. Adapter and tuner, out the door for under $150. You lose the big storage pocket under the existing console, but there is a small cubby hole under the new tuner. Worst part of the job was figuring out how to get the dash apart!

Incidentally, Honda wants over $800 for a new radio That's JUST the radio, not the entire climate control/radio console the junkyard wants to sell you.

Sean
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Trial User

I have had similiar issues, the radio has a mind of its own. It comes on and off at will, you can watch the volume dial up and down sometimes but mostly just turning on and off whenever. Anyone have any ideas or know the combo to reset the radio?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone's considering going the same route I did, here's a couple of pictures of the finished product. It's hard for me to justify spending a load of money on a 10 year old car, at least not on the audio system.
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Chilly807
If anyone's considering going the same route I did, here's a couple of pictures of the finished product. It's hard for me to justify spending a load of money on a 10 year old car, at least not on the audio system.
Hey Chilly, I've also been having the same issue as everyone else on the board. My speakers are going in and out. At first it seemed random but now it sometimes is impacted by bumps in the road. When my radio is out I try to hit pot holes and it will come back on. Does this seem more like a loose wire issue or a bad radio. Either way, I was curious how much that set up you have cost?

thanks

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda Accord Radio audio dead/static/not working