Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Valet Key

Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valet Key

Bought a used '97 Accord. The car came with two keys that look identical. Only one key would start the car and unlock doors while the other one would unlock the door and make the car just crank. The previous owner said the key that would only make the car crank and not start was a "valet key." I thought valet keys were just to keep people out of the trunk and such. After cleaning out the EGR port both keys only make the car just crank. I am getting spark and it smells like fuel but the car will only crank. There was a lot of clicking from a computer or something inside the car. But, after letting it sit over night, it has gone back to cranking and not starting.

Could there be such a key that would only unlock the car and make the car crank while another key does it all including making the car start?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valet Key

Also, the supposed valet key opens the glove box and trunk just fine. No one has any advice or knows if their Accord came with a valet key?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, lets think about this. A valet key is the one you give a valet so they can "park" your car but not look thru the glove box and trunk....how do they park your car if they can't start it.

So with that, something else is going on. Double check your work, check for spark at the plugs. You can smell fuel but that wound be next....I don't think the 97 had the "chip" in the key, does the car have the green key light on the dash? If so, is it lighting up...and I think it prevents fuel so doubt that is the issue since you can smell it-still need to confirm fuel or lack of....oh and be sure the smell of fuel isn't a leaking injector-you just cleaned the egr ports.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had a '97 Civic, '98 Civic, '93 Accord and '88 Prelude that all had valet keys. They all functioned the same. The valet key works on doors and ignition, but won't work on the trunk, valet switch (on the driver floor) and rear deck trunk access cylinder (if applicable).

The only thing I can think of is if a car had an immobilizer and the key had a chip.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same issue...here is the deal.

I have two keys.

A grey Valet Key - runs ignition and door locks only (a bit thicker so it doesn't fit in the locks for the glove box or trunk)

A black Key - fits and unlocks everything.

However, the chip in the black key was wiped so it does not turn the ignition due to the immobilizer that NOFX mentioned.

The dealership wanted $125 to activate the key.

Instead, I carry both.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by emsAARON
I have the same issue...here is the deal.

I have two keys.

A grey Valet Key - runs ignition and door locks only (a bit thicker so it doesn't fit in the locks for the glove box or trunk)

A black Key - fits and unlocks everything.

However, the chip in the black key was wiped so it does not turn the ignition due to the immobilizer that NOFX mentioned.

The dealership wanted $125 to activate the key.

Instead, I carry both.
Some locksmiths can perform the programming for cheaper. Alternatively, ask if any of your friends work at a dealership and can do it on the side.