Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

anyone using the new skunk2 ultra intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using the new skunk2 ultra intake?

http://kspecracing.com/i-1681168.aspx

http://kspecracing.com/skunk2/skunk2...i-1681170.aspx

looks like a competitive intake manifold for a starting price of under $600 (3.5L plenum). i know the high hp fi cars will need the larger plenum (which is a bit over $600), but still priced well. i like the plenum stacks allowing you to change it up, similar to the kinsler.

anyone using this yet? any results?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone using the new skunk2 ultra intake?

You know this has only been out for 2 weeks right? You expect people to have results already? lol

Maybe people should buy it and test it themselves instead of waiting for others to do it for them.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive been seeing those a lot lately too.

looks similar in design to bmc and magnus manifolds
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Big thread here about it, looks like a nice piece

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/skunk-2-ultra-intake-manifold-3125218/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...3074563&page=2
Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Khnemu
You know this has only been out for 2 weeks right? You expect people to have results already? lol

Maybe people should buy it and test it themselves instead of waiting for others to do it for them.
no need to be a dick man, its a simple question, and trust me im sure people have used them for R&D already....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HATER lol
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sf is going to be running one. I'm sure they'll post results soon
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there an option for a second fuel rail?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't want this to come off the wrong way, the SF guys are a solid group. But, do you expect bad results from someone with a hefty Skunk2 sponsorship? Not saying they would lie about the results, but if they aren't good I bet we just won't hear anything.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redboost10
from looking at the pictures off sf website looks like it does on the bottom.
http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/st...80&id=20359106
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see it now...looking at the website I posted. Didn't see all the pictures at first. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Garbage sheepy dynoed his integra with this manifold and every last bolt came out throttle body fell of he had to weld everything together just to finsih his dyno session
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kartunezgsr
Garbage sheepy dynoed his integra with this manifold and every last bolt came out throttle body fell of he had to weld everything together just to finsih his dyno session

On a prototype manifold that didn't have full provisions on the castings and threads. Those "issues" have been addressed.

Oh, and he went on to go and take the record with a 8.70@179.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, the product was "officially" released/ announced last Friday night, so not even a week.

One company testing every combo is unrealistic so it is important that people understand that results (good or bad) will vary with every combo. Doing your own testing is critical.

Originally Posted by redboost10
Yes indeed. You can either make your own or wait approx. 6 weeks for ours.

Originally Posted by PhilStubbs
I don't want this to come off the wrong way, the SF guys are a solid group. But, do you expect bad results from someone with a hefty Skunk2 sponsorship? Not saying they would lie about the results, but if they aren't good I bet we just won't hear anything.
Do you think that a competitive race team that has nothing to gain from loosing would use a product that would hurt their chances of winning, sponsored or not?

There's always a smoking gun in the import industry... I dont understand all the conspiracy theories.

And its still on the car!!

Taken at the Bakersfield IFO event.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just cause SF will have them doesn't mean they will run them. I'm sure they don't have every applicable part on their car that Skunk2 makes. It's not a conspiracy it's politics. They can't bash a S2 part these days, but they can keep their opinion to themselves.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PhilStubbs
Just cause SF will have them doesn't mean they will run them. I'm sure they don't have every applicable part on their car that Skunk2 makes. It's not a conspiracy it's politics. They can't bash a S2 part these days, but they can keep their opinion to themselves.
I'm not understanding this.....

I'm sure they don't use EVERY single thing Skunk2 has in their catalog, but I am sure they use a good amount of key components. I hear they are still on Skunk shelf cams? Is there some Skunk2 part that they have used/tested that did terribly that they are hiding from the public? Maybe you can shed some light on that subject(If it exists)?

I've also seen that Skunk2 has played a vital role in the engine program for SF's all motor street car, which also recently swept up the record. So Skunk2 now offers this well designed manifold that offers variable plenum sizes for different setups, they are highly involved with many of the fastest cars out there right now.....and still get hated on? People will probably not say a word when blox comes out with their ultra copy and act like its business as usual.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeySpec

I'm sure they don't use EVERY single thing Skunk2 has in their catalog, but I am sure they use a good amount of key components. I hear they are still on Skunk shelf cams? Is there some Skunk2 part that they have used/tested that did terribly that they are hiding from the public? Maybe you can shed some light on that subject(If it exists)?

I've also seen that Skunk2 has played a vital role in the engine program for SF's all motor street car, which also recently swept up the record. So Skunk2 now offers this well designed manifold that offers variable plenum sizes for different setups, they are highly involved with many of the fastest cars out there right now.....and still get hated on? People will probably not say a word when blox comes out with their ultra copy and act like its business as usual.
Hope not mikey..
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well said. Skunk2 has come a long way from the harsh ride from their coil overs. A lot of people on this board are running their cams FI/NA with great results. I think this intake looks promising.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you are missing my point a little. Maybe I'm doing a horrible job of putting my thoughts into words. I am a SF fanboi to a point. I think they do solid work and represent import drag racing and their sponsors very well. In fact I have plans of doing business with them in the near future. I also don't bash Skunk2. I agree that they have come a very long way from the early days, plus SF is doing amazing things with their off the shelf Pro1's. I also expect good things from this manifold, I wasn't on the hating it bandwagon. Someone made a comment to the effect that if SF tested it, it would be the end all be all of results. I don't think that's right. If they test it and it does well, I'm sure we will all hear about it and it might even end up on their car. If it doesn't perform well I'm sure we won't see James on here posting about how bad it sucked. I'm sure they would go back to S2 and try to help make it better, but we won't see any of that.

I'm not knocking that either. It's part of making good business choices.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TB posted in the intake manifold discussion thread that he picked up 16hp over a modded victorx on a NA b-series.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its a solid platform.. I'm not completely sold on it, but its looking very promising for future devolopment and / or better manifold designing.

Failures are going to happen, its apart of the game. But its not how you fail, its how you learn from it When you fail.. Period. People keep bring up alex and chris' experince with the manifold when it was a "prototype" and wasn't even fully devoloped, they were doing "testing" to see if they were even headed in the right direction, keep in mind, the people bashing it, that alex has claimed i believe the fastest small tire speed with this manifold. So its not exactly a **** in the wind try..

I'm a company/business owner/tuner, i support the companies that go out, and do R/D. I support Made in the USA products, and I support anything thats going to help everyone want to better themselves in this industry... this manifold should be a stepping stone for those guys out there who are already doing manifolds, the game has been stepped up and now its gotta better, hopefully for the future. Believe me, if I was as big of a company as sk2 is, i'd love to do all kinds of R/D and ****.. wish i had the money some of these companies do.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Simply put the new sk2 manifold does work. To be honest we were shocked at how well it performed! If it did not make any real gains we would not post and claim that it did. We have tested a lot of different products for companies and when they don't work we stay quiet as its all a part of testing, BUT when a product does work we are obligated to share our experience. Remember Myers Manifolds? Over a year ago we tested their header against what we using and we where shocked at the results! Now guess what header most of the top all motor guys use???
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love skunk 2 products I don't know why so many people bash them
I will be getting this manifold for my build
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sf said they're going to run it on there outlaw car. Not everybody can afford kinsler.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

as someone stated, a prototype that was still in the works. That's the purpose of R&D to figure those things out. Failures happen often on product testing. The difference is, most people just keep it to themselves.

the basic setup with no 2L spacer added on sheepey's setup is still running 179mph. That cant be denied. Seems to still work. Great alternative option IMO. The eldebrock is as simple as it gets, and the eldebrock would still work, if the plenum was much bigger and TB opening bigger for the big power cars that need it. I think the options of different sizes is what makes it pretty good. Then a TB that still accepts a stock map. or if you have a wilson TB it should fit since its the same bolt pattern. Im not scared to use it. I approached skunk about this back in late 09 about making a bigger Manifold. I didnt think it would happen until i saw it over a year ago happening.

I can def see me with one on the new setup.

Quick Reply: anyone using the new skunk2 ultra intake?