Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch pedal stays on floor

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Clutch pedal stays on floor

Okay here goes... The clutch was getting stuck to the floor, and I was refilling the reservoir like twice a day. We all know when the fluid run out the pedal will stay on the floor and the car in gear. Ok so... I changed the slave cylinder in my 92 hatch, with the cylinder out of my 95 coupe that had been sitting in my driveway for a year now. Put everything back and tried to bleed the system... The pedal wouldn't come off the floor and I must of pumped it for 10 minutes straight manually up and down... Nothing. Start the car it starts, try to put it in gear it crunch and won't let it shift.

I took the cylinder back out and noticed it was kinda seized up. It ain't move as freely as the one I just took out. Then I saw that on the original cylinder, the boot had came off and that's what was causing it to leak. So I fixed the boot and put the original cylinder back in. It ain't leak anymore but... The pedal still wont come off the floor. There is some bar that comes out the transmission to push the piston of the slave cylinder in. This piece no longer does this... Tried to bleed it again for 30 minutes, no pressure in the pedal... My question is:

Do you think this is because both cylinders were trash? If I go and buy a brand new slave cylinder and install... Will this make the pedal stiffen back up when I pump it? Will I be able to shift again afterwards? Because that's the only thing I changed, and the shifting was working fine till I changed the cylinder. Please help because i'm stranded out here cause of all this and I dont wanna spend $150 towing the car just for them to change a $20 part and tell me I missed one little detail. Thanks Honda bro's!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch pedal stays on floor

For the $20 it costs, just throw a new slave cylinder in there. Sounds like both of the ones you have are possibly trashed.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So... What if I change the slave cylinder again and the pedal still on the floor? Any ideas? I hear there is a special way to bleed the system when finished... I just pump the pedal till it gets stiff then open the release valve and compress the piston of the cylinder from there to get the extra out. Is this how you bleed your system bro?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch Master Cylinder... I had the same issue, went through 2 slave cylinder and it would be fine for a day or so... had to keep bleeding the system and the master cylinder finally fixed it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it still stays on the floor get a new master cylinder. Have you checked for any leaks?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AntDaKrilled
So... What if I change the slave cylinder again and the pedal still on the floor? Any ideas? I hear there is a special way to bleed the system when finished... I just pump the pedal till it gets stiff then open the release valve and compress the piston of the cylinder from there to get the extra out. Is this how you bleed your system bro?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...+brake+bleeder

this guy is your friend when bleeding your clutch. Open bleeder screw a lil bit, insert the needle end into the bleed screw. Slowly pump pedal, and check for leaks. If you did it right, there will be no drips, and the level in master cyl reservoir will drop as you pump the pedal. Make sure the level does not get too low and keep filling the reservoir. Repeat until you dont see any air. Only sucky thing is the reservoir on tool fills up quick.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, first off... YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks to any and everybody that commented and replied I got way more posts coming cause i'm no wizard lol. It was the master cylinder and thanks to "Eric The Car Guy" I changed it out with minimal effort. But... I think I adjusted the clutch pedal wrong because... I can start the car without pushing in the clutch lol. Also from 3rd to 4th gear I dont gotta press the clutch either lol it can just be popped out and put into 4th not cool. I'm guessing I didn't give the master cylinder enough clutch play? Or too much? It's basically like the clutch is engaged. Do I shorten or lengthen the adjuster????
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

The clutch pedal is adjusted by height. You then adjust switch A.
Attached Images