Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

VTC actuator replacement problem

Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTC actuator replacement problem

My wife's 2008 Honda Accord 4cyl (I believe it's a K24Z2) had the VTC actuator rattle problem, and it got so bad I decided to replace the actuator myself. Well, this was both a blessing and a curse.

The actuator no longer makes noise, but I must have done something wrong, because I now get a P0011 code since immediately after replacing the actuator. There were no codes prior to replacing the actuator.

So, I took it apart again, thinking I was off on my cam timing, but everything looks in check. I took it to a dealer, hoping the technician might have a good idea what the problem was, but they spent an hour or 2 looking for electrical problems, and they told me they wanted to take out the new VTC actuator and camshaft and inspect the parts. They said it would take 4-5 hours to perform this procedure. I have little faith with them at this point.

I'm no expert, but I can have my VTC actuator and the cam out of the car in about 30 minutes (+/-).

The ONLY thing I can think of is that I did not properly "unlock" the VTC actuator after I installed it on the camshaft. I basically unbolted the old one, bolted on the new one, re-installed the chain, and went about my business.

The manual says to install it in the locked state (that's how a new one ships) than after installing it on the cam to unlock it, by holding the cam and turning the VTC actuator clockwise. I attempted to turn it, but how is it done? Should it be really hard to move?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VTC actuator replacement problem

---------------------------------------------------------
Hi

I am trying to replace my VTC in my 2008 accord. I am facing a real challenge how to unlock the brand new VTC gear before install it on my cam ??? When I bouugh the new VTC gear its locked and I dont know how to unlock it....Does anyone know how to unlock the new VTC gear????.. Any help will be appreciable

Thanks