Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Change your power steering fluid!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Change your power steering fluid!

honda never specified any service interval for the power steering fluid so i never bothered to change it before. now my car has 115,000 km and the fluid was pretty dark and nasty colored. my car had no previous steering issues or pump whine but changing the fluid with new honda stuff made the steering wheel feel noticeably lighter. i suggest everyone do this! it's cheap and easy.

1) suck all the fluid out of the reservoir (turkey baster worked for me).
2) remove the return line (the upper hose) from the reservoir then put the line into a narrow neck bottle (coke bottle)
3) turn engine on then turn the steering wheel from side to side to get the remaining fluid out of the system (approx half of the fluid was in the reservoir, the rest was inside the system). note honda service manual said to do this.
4) refill reservoir, turn car on, top off reservoir.

some people say to remove the entire reservoir for cleaning but mine appeared to be clean and i wasn't having any power steering issues. in the future, i'll probably just replace the fluid in the reservoir once a year. i could get the rest of the fluid out but that would require running the power steering pump dry (not a huge fan of this).
Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Change your power steering fluid!

It doesn't specify "power steering fluid" but the Maintenance Schedule does say to "Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks." every 20k.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It Wasn't Me
It doesn't specify "power steering fluid" but the Maintenance Schedule does say to "Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks." every 20k.
HA HA.

Now someone reply to my CHP INSPECTION THREAD!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda kept telling me mine was fine even though it's so old...
Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^

I just asked the same thing today and they told me the same thing.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do a brake, steering and radiator flush every fall.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by theineffable
honda kept telling me mine was fine even though it's so old...

Originally Posted by bin_dizzle
^^^

I just asked the same thing today and they told me the same thing.

Another reason I never take my car to the dealership. Shady.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Plead da Fif

Thought I'd bump this up with a little update.

I went ahead and flushed my power steering today. I didn't use the turkey baster method, though. I had an oral syringe and some clear vinyl tubing laying around.

After I completely flushed the system once, I changed the fluid in the reservoir again. It was still a little dirty after the first flush.

Edit: For those of you who may be a bit worried about spilling fluid.... cut a couple feet off an old garden hose. It'll slip right over the end of the return line and it won't leak. Then you can put your catch-can on the ground and not worry about it potentially spilling on your car.

Last edited by It Wasn't Me; 05-19-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Replaced missing image.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
New User

Originally Posted by theineffable
honda never specified any service interval for the power steering fluid so i never bothered to change it before. now my car has 115,000 km and the fluid was pretty dark and nasty colored. my car had no previous steering issues or pump whine but changing the fluid with new honda stuff made the steering wheel feel noticeably lighter. i suggest everyone do this! it's cheap and easy.

1) suck all the fluid out of the reservoir (turkey baster worked for me).
2) remove the return line (the upper hose) from the reservoir then put the line into a narrow neck bottle (coke bottle)
3) turn engine on then turn the steering wheel from side to side to get the remaining fluid out of the system (approx half of the fluid was in the reservoir, the rest was inside the system). note honda service manual said to do this.
4) refill reservoir, turn car on, top off reservoir.

some people say to remove the entire reservoir for cleaning but mine appeared to be clean and i wasn't having any power steering issues. in the future, i'll probably just replace the fluid in the reservoir once a year. i could get the rest of the fluid out but that would require running the power steering pump dry (not a huge fan of this).
I did this except I didn't start engine. I turned it back and forth a bunch of times with engine off the hard way until fluid was trickling very slowly from the line. Took reservoir off car also.

I placed the line inside a jet dry container (http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com...942&click=2744) and filled it almost half way.

First thing I did was cover my belts with newspaper along with other hardware surrounding the steering equipment.

Then I filled it with one whole container of steering fluid for Honda (http://www.amazon.com/HONDA-POWER-ST.../dp/B000J15TBU). Had to use a little extra from a second bottle to bring it to appropriate level.

The old fluid was very darkened and looked like black coffee. Now it looks like coffee with milk in it. I hope nothing is wrong with my steering hardware. After taking the vehicle for a test drive I noticed that steering was easier so I deem this job a success. Maybe I should drain a little more from the system and use the rest of my fluid?

Hope this thread isn't too old to make people angry about bringing old posts back
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
jrm
Honda-Tech Member

my dealer, did actually say it was a great idea and told me how to remove the hose, turn the wheel and purge it all out with ease. Im glad I did, at 100k it was super dark as was the brake fluid. Im hopeing this car will be a 500k runner!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My civic 92 have 300 000 Km on it and evey fluid black as pitch. I would need to replace steering fluid. Good stuff..
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am doubtful that the PS fluid being dark means a whole lot as far as integrity of the system. The only reports I see of PS fluid problems are where people replace the old fluid with non-Honda fluid. Dealers normally try to get people to over-maintain their car. The fact that they are not pushing changing out the PS fluid says to me that it is really not necessary, perhaps for the life of the car.

By contrast, the spec for brake fluid is very clear for 2001-2005 Civics (and probably other Hondas): Three years, regardless of mileage.

Two cents.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HONDA Power steering fluid is a lifetime fluid thats why its not under a schedule. Color means nothing about condition.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
jrm
Honda-Tech Member

true, but what mileage does honda have in mind for lifetime? Kia thinks 100k is good and the goverment is buying back perfectly good 2002 cars with less than 50k on them under cash for clunkers.
I changed mine once- $5 well spent with full intentions to run this car past 500k as my fathers dodge diesel just turned one million miles without the valve cover being removed. the dodge auto trans is yet another story
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Hahah yeah, you're supposed to change your fluids. Thought that was common knowledge...
Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Plead da Fif

Regardless of opinion regarding whether or not it has to be changed; my steering wheel turns with less effort after doing the flush. Had nothing been wrong with the condition of my power steering fluid (old, dark, etc) it stands to reason that there would have been no change in how much effort it takes to turn the steering wheel.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Regardless of opinion regarding whether or not it has to be changed; my steering wheel turns with less effort after doing the flush. Had nothing been wrong with the condition of my power steering fluid (old, dark, etc) it stands to reason that there would have been no change in how much effort it takes to turn the steering wheel.
I agree. My steering wheel was noticeably lighter after changing the fluid.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, how much fluid do i need if i were to flush the whole system? I'm guessing around 3 qts?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by (. )( .)
bump, how much fluid do i need if i were to flush the whole system? I'm guessing around 3 qts?

One quart should be enough. Buy two if you want plenty of extra fluid.

Also see: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=13
(can be found in the FAQ's)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Trial User

i did that and it worked fine
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bump it again, but what was everyone's experience on the fluid of choice.

For example, Honda OEM brand of fluid vs. X or Y brand. I have heard rumors that you should ONLY use Honda OEM power steering fluid. I changed mine a few months ago with some Prestone stuff or whatever, and now I think my power steering is going bye bye. Trying to figure out if that's the cause. Hard to believe just that fluid enough would kill the pump or whatever...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Plead da Fif

Originally Posted by PreClude
Sorry to bump it again, but what was everyone's experience on the fluid of choice.

For example, Honda OEM brand of fluid vs. X or Y brand. I have heard rumors that you should ONLY use Honda OEM power steering fluid. I changed mine a few months ago with some Prestone stuff or whatever, and now I think my power steering is going bye bye. Trying to figure out if that's the cause. Hard to believe just that fluid enough would kill the pump or whatever...
Could just be coincidence. Was the fluid you used rated for use with Hondas? What makes you think the power steering pump is beginning to fail?

I've been using the same "MasterPro - Honda/Multi-Purpose" fluid since January 2010 without any issues.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I've used the Prestone Honda PS fluid without issue. If the bottle didn't say it was for Honda/Acura then it's not for Honda's and can cause pump problems.

Honda's are picky with most of their fluids, brake fluid and oil are the only fluids that don't have to be OEM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bottle I used said it was "for Honda/Acura" but I have my doubts only because of my now apparent leak/failure (?) but it could just be coincidence. Still trying to figure this one out:

Name:  IMG_5394_zps8711e6e0.jpg
Views: 10592
Size:  68.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5393_zps528a8f23.jpg
Views: 10686
Size:  85.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5392_zps35e93cd9.jpg
Views: 10389
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5390_zps3ae5bb6f.jpg
Views: 12579
Size:  94.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5389_zps63525754.jpg
Views: 20844
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like its been there a while. did you just change the fluid because if so it couldnt look like that already it would had to have been leaking for some time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change your power steering fluid!