Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

I just got my replacement tranny for my 99 vtec and wanted to know if you have to pre fill the torque converter or not before putting it in, could find anything through searches:/
Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pre fill Torque Converter or Not?

Yes, pre-fill....
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nghtshd88
I just got my replacement tranny for my 99 vtec and wanted to know if you have to pre fill the torque converter or not before putting it in, could find anything through searches:/
By all means Pre-fill. The Converter holds the majority of the Transmission Fluid and you can do damage if you don't.

P
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much does it take? and doesnt the fluid put in the trans seep into the torque converter?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Put a quart into the TC, lube the seals and snout of the TC with ATF as well. Install it you should feel/hear three audible clicks/clunks during install. Rotate the TC as you install it to make sure you have engaged the steps. Faster install would be to note where the notches are in the pump and line up the TC to it.
After install, rotate the TC several times to make sure the interior is coated with some lube. After transmission install, fill the transmission up the the full mark, start the car, and keep adding transmission fluid until the fluid level stabilizes. Then shift through each gear holding it in gear for ~10seconds, place back into park and check fluid level. Keep doing this until the fluid level finally stabilizes and you have the correct amount of fluid in the transmission.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, put it in and once I go into gear after park it sounds dry.. Like the torque converter is dry? Unless its suppose to sound this was for a a short while..
Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I did this but somehow ended up spilling some of it. Before that, I filled it up mostly with "Lucas ATF fluid conditioner", and some of it was Honda fluid. I only have a little less than 3 quarts of Honda fluid now. I do however have some Lucas Transmission Fix but it is quite thick. Should I fill it up with that or should I only use the Honda fluid? (which I don't have much of). I was thinking of just getting some Valvoline Maxlife to put in it; that stuff works good.

Check out my thread about my JDM AT. I just received it today.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...87#post3046587
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Use Honda ATF or Dex ATF of the appropriate type, I believe IV is correct for that transaxle. Make a video of the noise, is it like a cavitation noise?

Most converters come with a little bit of oil in them, because of balance/vibration testing. You should not pre-fill a converter or a filter on anything. You can introduce particulates in the system. You will not cause converter damage by not filling it, there is nothing to damage, none of the parts touch each other.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishako129
I did this but somehow ended up spilling some of it.
Being a used trans/converter it will have fluid in it already. I wouldn't be too worried about the TC having fluid in it. Due to the donut shape of the TC, it's pretty hard to drain out all the fluid from the snout.
Now if it was a new TC, I would stick a quart in there to be sure for two reasons. One the TC has moving parts. Two this helps prime the system faster.

*This image may be a bit confusing as the 'Pump' is normally called the 'Impeller'. Pump is usually retained for the vane pump that is inside the transmission which is driven directly by the engine via the TC housing, the multi-toothed snout of the H4A TC.*

Before that, I filled it up mostly with "Lucas ATF fluid conditioner", and some of it was Honda fluid. I only have a little less than 3 quarts of Honda fluid now. I do however have some Lucas Transmission Fix but it is quite thick. Should I fill it up with that or should I only use the Honda fluid?
(which I don't have much of). I was thinking of just getting some Valvoline Maxlife to put in it; that stuff works good.
I would only use Honda ATF.
Dexron II is only to be used in case of emergency. Lucas or any other 'one type fits all' fluid I would avoid. There is a reason why there are so many different types of ATFs.

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
You will not cause converter damage by not filling it, there is nothing to damage, none of the parts touch each other.
Wut? The turbine and stator don't just float in space.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Being a used trans/converter it will have fluid in it already. I wouldn't be too worried about the TC having fluid in it. Due to the donut shape of the TC, it's pretty hard to drain out all the fluid from the snout.
Now if it was a new TC, I would stick a quart in there to be sure for two reasons. One the TC has moving parts. Two this helps prime the system faster.
When I got the trans it didn't have but hardly any fluid in it. The guy at JDMDepot said they are forced to drain it out during import.

*This image may be a bit confusing as the 'Pump' is normally called the 'Impeller'. Pump is usually retained for the vane pump that is inside the transmission which is driven directly by the engine via the TC housing, the multi-toothed snout of the H4A TC.*

I would only use Honda ATF.
Dexron II is only to be used in case of emergency. Lucas or any other 'one type fits all' fluid I would avoid. There is a reason why there are so many different types of ATFs.

Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is recommended for the following vehicles. Its not really a "one type fits all" fluid.

Specs
Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 295 and 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

When I got the trans it didn't have but hardly any fluid in it. The guy at JDMDepot said they are forced to drain it out during import.

Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is recommended for the following vehicles. Its not really a "one type fits all" fluid.

Specs
Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 295 and 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III
Hehe, so do you think all of the above listed trans fluids have the same properties, or do you simply believe the Maxlife fluid some how covers the entire spectrum of the fluids listed???
Old 09-01-2012, 11:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Hehe, so do you think all of the above listed trans fluids have the same properties, or do you simply believe the Maxlife fluid some how covers the entire spectrum of the fluids listed???

"There are countless Honda Odyssey owners using Valvoline Maxlife ATF in thier Z-1 spec'd Odys. Maxlife is a "suitable for Z-1 use" ATF per it's specs. Obviously none are going to be approved by Honda. Keep in mind the Odyssey has probably the worst track record in regards to transmission longevity and Maxlife does excellent in them. There's not a single failure report of one running Maxlife that I've seen."

Joel

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1631140&page=1
Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You, nor that thread, answered my question. Additionally, anecdotal evidence is dubious at best. Hell even in that very thread the use of Maxlife is debated. ATF fluids are proprietary blends and one size does not now, nor will it ever, cover all...

Last edited by DCFIVER; 09-01-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The turbine sits on splines . The stator sits on the center shaft. Both in their respective haves. The fluid is not used mainly for lubrication, it is used for cooling and hydraulic/centrifugal force. There is no need to prefill a converter. No damage will occur.

Last edited by DCFIVER; 09-01-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the fluid the manufacturer states in the service manual or owners manual. If you read it, they make it abundantly clear that longevity, performance and noise vibration and harshness may result from not using OEM fluid. I could care less if Maxlife was 100 times better than OEM, use what they tell you to use and if you have problems, its on the manufacturer.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
Use the fluid the manufacturer states in the service manual or owners manual. If you read it, they make it abundantly clear that longevity, performance and noise vibration and harshness may result from not using OEM fluid. I could care less if Maxlife was 100 times better than OEM, use what they tell you to use and if you have problems, its on the manufacturer.
^ this