Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Engine misses and error code P1129

Old 08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine misses and error code P1129

I have a 2004 Honda Civic LX with a 1.7L engine. Car had front end damage to car. all body parts were replaced to include new radiator and hoses with new fans. Engine was not run after wreck. Air bags did not deploy.

No damage to engine is visable. engine starts and runs ok at idle. After driving for a little time engine develops a miss and error code P1129 appears.

installed new spark plugs, new air cleaner but problem is still present. Could one of the spark plug coils go bad from the impact?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 PM
dwr
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine misses and error code P1129

Did you fix this problem. I am having a similar problem... Here is what im having..

I have a 2004 Honda CRV with 120,000 miles. When I start it it will start up with low RPMs like its flooded for about 10 seconds. After that it idles fine. When taking off the car will miss. I have to take off slow or it will miss. When I do get it up to say 65mph it will cruse along fine that it will start missing ( best way to describe it ) when it does this its like it has no power. Then I have to let it decelerate back down to say 40mph before it will accelerate again. Its like the ignition is missing. I didnt change anything yet but made sure there wasnt any loose connections. I had just changed my air filter. I also kinda am thinking the torque converter. What do you guys think?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@dwr. The torque converter has nothing to do with your engine missing.

It sounds like a new coil-pack is in order.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by dwr
Did you fix this problem. I am having a similar problem... Here is what im having..

I have a 2004 Honda CRV with 120,000 miles. When I start it it will start up with low RPMs like its flooded for about 10 seconds. After that it idles fine. When taking off the car will miss. I have to take off slow or it will miss. When I do get it up to say 65mph it will cruse along fine that it will start missing ( best way to describe it ) when it does this its like it has no power. Then I have to let it decelerate back down to say 40mph before it will accelerate again. Its like the ignition is missing. I didnt change anything yet but made sure there wasnt any loose connections. I had just changed my air filter. I also kinda am thinking the torque converter. What do you guys think?
I found the problem with the 2004 honda Civic with the P1129 error code. The problem was a piece of plastic fell into the timing belt and caused the timing to jump by 2 teeth. After replacing the belts and general tune-up the car runs great.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rlscrivn
caused the timing to jump by 2 teeth.
That sounds like a damaged piston or bent valve-stem when things like that happens.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
dwr
Honda-Tech Member

I cleared up now. I havnt taken it in to check the code though. I would out of town and have been busy. From reading I think I narrowed it down to the Vtek Solenoid. What you think about this. It has done this before but cleared up in a couple days. This time it lasted a week than went away. Let me know what you think about the Vtek solenoid though...
Old 08-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I doubt a defective VTEC solenoid would cause your engine to "miss" as it would affect all cylinders equally as opposed to one defective spark plug oor coil-pack.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM
dwr
Honda-Tech Member

Let me update the problem then. I found that it was missing around 2800 to 3000 RPMs. Like a rev limiter. Once I found out where it was missing at I could keep it lower than 2800 RPMs and it ran fine. Than in a couple days it cleared up. Its running fine now. I work offshore in the Gulf Of Mexico and really didnt have time to check the code. I will do that in the next week as the engine light is still on. I did do a little research online and I am thinking its the Vtek solenoid. If it is the solenoid can I just change that out or would have to change out the whold Vtek block. I am not a mechanic at all but probably would tackle this job if it continues to give me problems.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The VTEC (not Vtek) solenoid is easy to replace with the removal and reinstertion of a simple screw. From the RPM range that you are describing, it's more than likely that you car is VTEC-E (for economy) configured and not VTEC (for aggressive performance). The VTEC solenoid is cheap and is easily interchangeable with other units. Somehow, I don't feel as though your car is actually "missing" in the conventional sense. Try cleaning or changing the fuel injectors in sequence to see if that helps. What grade petrol are you using in your engine? Your K-series engine will be tuned for fuel economy instead of overall performance, so your VTC will also need to be checked as well.