Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it hard to replace the radiator support?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Is it hard to replace the radiator support?

I have a 98 hatchback I hit a pothole and it cracked the bottom of the support and where the latch to open the hood got pushed up, and i recently bought a new radiator and it doesn't sit right on no more and the grille is half ways hanging on. So i know i need to change it, i have a 99-00 front-end so should i just get the 99-00 radiator support but will i have to do more work?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it hard to replace the radiator support?

have to drill out quite a few spot welds to remove the old one, then spot weld the new one on. very do able but will require some work.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RevrsOne
so should i just get the 99-00 radiator support
Technically you can use any 96-00 civic radiator support. 99-00 would be ideal, but a 96-98 can be slightly modified to fit your front end.

Try to buy a used OEM one from a junk yard or something. The ones from Certafit (AKA Sortafit) I've read have had some problems. So be careful, or at least do your research before you buy!

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

do you have access to air tools? if your answer is yes, then no it isn't hard to replace the rad support. Just need a grinding wheel, cutter, etc.

If you plan to do it with regular hand tools, it becomes a lot more difficult, but not impossible.

When I worked in a body shop, I helped a kid change his, and it was a 20-30 minute job (to remove only). In a driveway...Id say times that number by 10 or 15, if your lucky, lol. I couldnt imagine myself getting it off in less then 3-4 hours without air. Still a small price to pay, not to have a saggin front end.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advise guys, but now i have a quick question to ask to guys. So i went to a shop where my friend says they do legit jobs and clean. They are charging me $250-275 to align my front-end and weld on the radiator support included. You guys think thats a good price ?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM
RESIDENT

I installed my Jdm front end in my garage solo, it's not as bad as you think. Go buy yourself some spot weld bits, they make life a lot easier. I used a 18v drill and went through 2 bits. Personally I didn't spot weld mine, instead I seam welded it. I had never done any form of body work before so at first I was a little scared cutting my DD apart. The biggest thing I can say is to give yourself plenty of time so you don't feel rushed and test fit, test fit, test fit. The more you test fit panels i.e hood, fenders, headlights the better off you will be when you actually weld the support back on. If you need any advice or have any questions pm me and I'll help any way I can.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by typerfit
I installed my Jdm front end in my garage solo, it's not as bad as you think. Go buy yourself some spot weld bits, they make life a lot easier. I used a 18v drill and went through 2 bits. Personally I didn't spot weld mine, instead I seam welded it. I had never done any form of body work before so at first I was a little scared cutting my DD apart. The biggest thing I can say is to give yourself plenty of time so you don't feel rushed and test fit, test fit, test fit. The more you test fit panels i.e hood, fenders, headlights the better off you will be when you actually weld the support back on. If you need any advice or have any questions pm me and I'll help any way I can.
Thanks for the advice but i dont know where i can get those, and i dont want the hassle because i know it's not aligned right. so i mean i think a professional would have to align it with the right tools etc.. but thanks anyways!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM
RESIDENT

I just used some body shop magnets to hold the core support in place. Test fitting stuff doesn't really affect the support unless you are not careful. Spot weld bits can be found at any local hardware store. I got the body shop magnets and spot weld bits from harbor freight. They were really cheap, like $25 for all of it. I would call a few body shops in your area and get some quotes, it might shock you how much they charge to replace a core support. That's why I ended up doing mine. There are also a few very good write ups here on HT, I probably read them 20 times before I tackled mine. It really was a pretty simple process man.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just used some body shop magnets to hold the core support in place. Test fitting stuff doesn't really affect the support unless you are not careful. Spot weld bits can be found at any local hardware store. I got the body shop magnets and spot weld bits from harbor freight. They were really cheap, like $25 for all of it. I would call a few body shops in your area and get some quotes, it might shock you how much they charge to replace a core support. That's why I ended up doing mine. There are also a few very good write ups here on HT, I probably read them 20 times before I tackled mine. It really was a pretty simple process man.
Damm you are making me want to do it myself lol, well i might search some up and see how it goes, my only concern is that he said it wasn't aligned right, and even tho i put on the new rad support it was going to fit will and the radiator wasn't going to sit will. so im doubting that!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by RevrsOne
Damm you are making me want to do it myself lol, well i might search some up and see how it goes, my only concern is that he said it wasn't aligned right, and even tho i put on the new rad support it was going to fit will and the radiator wasn't going to sit will. so im doubting that!
As long as your frame isn't bent then who cares if the core support is off, by taking your time with the new one and test fitting everything you will be just fine. Look at the some of the write ups on here and you will see what I am talking about. It really is easier then most people think. Again man, if you need any help or advice let me know.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as your frame isn't bent then who cares if the core support is off, by taking your time with the new one and test fitting everything you will be just fine. Look at the some of the write ups on here and you will see what I am talking about. It really is easier then most people think. Again man, if you need any help or advice let me know.
I will pm you if i do it on my own, thanks a lot. Really appreciate it