Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

slow build ie will take yrs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow build ie will take yrs

I'm saving so can't really toss money at this car except for maintence to keep it running. Down the road plans are to learn how to do paint and body work on it. This is the good side and it is not that great. I can't see myself spending money on a swap when the motor runs so good. Doesn't burn a drop of oil. 175k due for a timing belt soon.
First mod, bought some neuspeed sport springs(green ones) for 50 bucks. THe guy I bought it from told me he was pulling them off as were talking on the phone. I say ok, I'll pick them up later. I show up and he has one off, so we proceed to take them off. We both never done it and he has the wrong tools. His ratchet breaks, luckily I had one in the trunk. After 2 hrs we manage to get them off and clean them up. Cool guy, showed me his sweet ef with type r.
BTW, this thread is going to be slow building, it's really so I can document the progress I make on my ej2.

stock

Sport springs, 1.5" drop, hard to tell in the pics but it did drop. Rides the same which is great.

Future plans, get koni yellows in the next month or two.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: slow build ie will take yrs

my tires are getting worn down so picked up these.
Paid 250, only problem is I only have one cap and need a new tire. The guy told me these were about 90% thread left which three are. He forgot to mention one is about 20 and missing the weight to balance the tire. Painted them this color.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been looking for an ex lip but all the ones around me that are being parted have the front ends smashed.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is very clean for the age. The drop IMO is perfect, I'm going for the same look 1.5 all around. Good luck with the build. Mine will take a long time too. haha
Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

inside is pretty good but the picture make it look way nicer than it really is. This car is covered in dings and the other quarter panel has a massive dent. The stance is nice since it's not too low and can get into my driveway, plus it rides like a stocker.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the front seat out yesterday and took my dog to visit my parents. Today I cleaned up the dog hair from my shepherd and put the seat back. Taking the front seat out I've carried two trash cans full of mulch. I see smirks on people when I row up to the garden center with the civic. Funny thing is while most suvs only carry small tubs of mulch, I carry large trash cans. LOL

I also picked up a tach, installed my old speedo in with this cluster.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a nice car man, Cheap and easy to own/maintain/work on, and improve.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clean interior
Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the interior was a mess when I got it. The guy took the seat passenger seat out and had his construction tools. The car did clean up nice inside.
I'm trying to eliminate or atleast minimize the creaks inside the cabin. One area is the glove. Removed it, cleaned this mess, then ran a bead of cauking on the plate.

I'll let you know if it helps or not when I head to work.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

picked up a clock, hope the tire guy ordered my 13" tire today I so can install them some time this week.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good start
good luck in the future
Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update, finally bought a house. I'm excited as know I have a garage. Car is now at 178k now and ready for me to do the timing belt. I replaced my axle and the timiken axle seal wouldn't stop leaking. I tried another one and the same thing, finally shelled out the 15 bucks for a honda seal and stopped the leak. Never got around to installing the rims as I was waiting for my tires wear out. Got my car aligned at firestone with the lifetime deal. These guys are a bunch of jokers, they told me my wheel bearing was bad, and gave me a quote of 450 to fix. LOL, best of all they wanted 20 to press in the new bearing, 100 for the bearing, and 100 for the hub, plus 200 in labor. What really pissed me off is the bearing is fine. Talk about taking advantage of people who have no mechanic skills.
Will get some pics of it with the rims on it next week as my tires should be ordered.

new spread
Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean car!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got 2 new michelins since one had a nail in the sidewall that couldn't be repaired. These badboys are supposed to be good until 90k. Sadly, I only have my big 13's installed on one side since I have one rim at my dads. Going to install the other side today. I swear now I feel like my car is going to get stolen. I like the new look, but can't wait till I move into my own place so my car can finally get a garage.
Took these after work, everybody was gone since I had to stay late to do some training.

Forgot my tripod so put the camera on a curb. I love my cheap panosonic camera, made in japan too.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

slam it plz!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car definitely looks nice good luck with whatever plans you have with it
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by elsicario12
slam it plz!!!
I want to but not right now. I can go over anything without much trouble as it sits. Future plans are a swapped ef or ek and slam that on ls mesh wheels and keep this for gas saving abilities. I routinely average 44 mpg with a best tank of 54mpg. Slow as a geo metro though since I shift at 2k.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update did my first timing belt job, replaced coolant, water pump, oil, cam seal, and accessory belts. Took me about 10 hrs since I had to figure out what to do. Used the helms manual and the guide on this website. The first time the belt must has slipped on me because I checked the timing marks before putting everything back together. So I'm all excited and go to start the car when it won't start. It sounds like it's off to me but make sure the wires are all in the right places, do some research and make sure the distributor is in correctly, check valve lash again before and other things before tearing it apart and doing it again. The second time I made sure the car started before putting the covers and accessory belts on. Another thing is I forgot about bleeding the cooling system. I was jamming all excited and forgot to pay attention to the temp gauge. Luckily I caught it before my engine blew the headgasket. That would have sucked.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update got a new job in houston and start my apprenticeship on monday. Leaving southern ca on saturday morning. Nothing new to car, as of today it's at 197k miles. Going to check my vavles and head to junk yard for the timing cover bolts as I lost those last time I did the belt. Hopefully I can find a spare main relay.