Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

How to stop that leaking oil pan gasket once and for all.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to stop that leaking oil pan gasket once and for all.

hey all i bought one of those moroso b series pans and have had nothing but bad luck with it leaking oil. i tried 4 new oem gaskets before i ended up reading on here that many people have had bad luck with these pans. i was about to say screw it and take the loss on the pan and purchase a oem pan and go threw the hassle of having a bung welded in for my turbo drain. but i then found this site http://js-products.webs.com/ and ordered the gasket , well it came today and all i can say is wtf why isnt all oem honda gaskets like this? after having the pan on and off for 4 different gaskets over the last two weeks i was almost cringing at the thought of doing it again only to be left down. i installed the new gasket according to the instructions on the site and went on my test drive. normally after going on a spirited run hitting full boost a few times i came home and parked in the garage. normally by the time i would get out of the car and kneel down to look under i would be greeted with the site of a 50 cent piece size spot of dripping oil, with reservations i got down and looked under and saw no spot, so i jacked the car up and got my LED light to double check and sure enough DRY AS A BONE!!! for the first time since buying this pan i have no leak. any way i was so over joyed that i finally have no leaks that i had to come share the news.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How to stop that leaking oil pan gasket once and for all.

Hey just saw your post. Ive been fighting a leaky oil pan on my crx since i turbo'd it. Ive hondabonded the gasket. I've put it on dry still leaks at this point I'm willing to try anything. The keep giving me warnings at the track so I seriously need to make an attempt at fixing this. Its not that much more then a new one from the dealer. I might give this a shot! Thanks for the info man.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you wont regret it, finally living life leak free lol
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Normally how to's have pics.....
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Normally how to's have pics.....
no need to have pics for this , its simply replacing your existing gasket with a better one. this thread isnt a how to on how to change a oil pan gasket , its how to do it with the proper gasket for no leaks if you having problems with leaks.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by boosted91crx
no need to have pics for this , its simply replacing your existing gasket with a better one. this thread isnt a how to on how to change a oil pan gasket , its how to do it with the proper gasket for no leaks if you having problems with leaks.

Than maybe you shouldn't put HOW TO in the fu%kin title
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Than maybe you shouldn't put HOW TO in the fu%kin title
how to is exactly what this explains, how to use the proper gasket , so the how to is a good title.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Post pics!!!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

GOOD How To's, usually have pics. BAD How To's don't.

But you're right. This isn't a how to. All you said was that you used the right parts and followed proper directions. No magic there.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Pretty much did what people been doing for years
Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Op, I love you.

<has been riding on a leaking moroso pan. 2 oem, now on the 2nd felpro gasket.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddies one leaked i replaced it has been good since. alot of noobs dont know how to install oil pan gaskets. oem works perfectly fine as long as you have a straight pan and no blowby
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This gasket is an imitation of what has been long produced by myHondaHabit.com. Even the image on his website is actually myHondaHabit's... exactly. Look at myhondahabit's store at the single gasket purchase and you will see they are the same. I dunno, someone who claims to be making a gasket can't even take his/her own pictures and has to resort to stealing from the one he/she is imitating. . . kinda weak. see images below for comparison.

Name:  myhondahabitgasketimage2_zpsd04ab326.png
Views: 3844
Size:  391.2 KB

Having produced, marketed, and sold products of my own design in the past, I give props to those that do the work from beginning to end rather than taking the quick route and ripping off another's hard work.

ps - i have the myhondahabit gasket and do love it. If you are considering buying from them it's worthwhile to check out the stud kits too.

Last edited by criticallistenp; 04-04-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: add images
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure if the honda habit comment is even related to this thread, but the gaskets in the image do look like they are made from a different material and other then the shape the pictures dont look to be from the same camera, any way my neighbor bought a moroso pan from a guy online and it had been dented from a pot hole, the entire pan was slightly bent we tried to straighten it the best we could, he used a oem gasket and it leaked so i told him about this gasket and it hasnt leaked a drop since. i cant say anough good things about this gasket. on a side note my car hasnt dripped a drop since i posted this thread and thats enough to make me a happy camper.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I battled this issue in the past as well. Another thing that works perfectly is using an oil pan stud kit. I inserted the studs into the block using blue loctite, then spread a light coat of Honda-bond on the pan and block, then tightened it all back together. Boom- no more drips!

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/38366/10002/-1

The gasket seems to be working for alot of guys but the studs could help prevent stripping the threads in the block.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

if you look closer you will see the light and dark spots match exactly on the background

but to question immitation or not. is the myhondahabit gasket patented or protected by any kind of rights?

if not then legally there is nothing wrong with another company making same gaskets. all they did is use different material and make the gasket to oem dimensions.

business wise probably not a great thing to do to copy someone elses work even though its not patented, but busineses dont feel guilty anymore because:
"that guy did it why cant i" ,
or "if i dont do it someone else will, so ill do it before he does"

responsibility is shifted on "that other guy" and the copycat doesnt feel a bit of guilt reproducing someone elses work.

even as they read these above lines they will justify their actions some way and avoid personal responsibility one way or another.

im also about to order 2 of those gaskets (from myhondahabit.com) and will be back with a review.
for (CRV and gsr)
Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So what gasket does Moroso tell you to use? I'd be pissed if they said to use an OEM gasket.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
So what gasket does Moroso tell you to use? I'd be pissed if they said to use an OEM gasket.
not sure.. hmm.

i've used the perma dry (blue) felpro with a moroso. had to completely cover the block and pan surfaces with silicone to keep it from leaking. (factory way is a little bit of hondabond by the oil pump and rear main to block seams)
Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec

I dont think Moroso specifies a certain gasket honestly.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I been through this with my civic couple years back smh its a pain but from reading this info I wish I would have known then I have a new car now though but power to other who needs it
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
not sure.. hmm.

i've used the perma dry (blue) felpro with a moroso. had to completely cover the block and pan surfaces with silicone to keep it from leaking. (factory way is a little bit of hondabond by the oil pump and rear main to block seams)
sounds like a great gasket choice i have been using THE RIGHT STUFF silicone that comes in a calking gun for 3 years and never had a leak using it mostly on corners and curves not the whole surface
Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shawn_thorning2
sounds like a great gasket choice i have been using THE RIGHT STUFF silicone that comes in a calking gun for 3 years and never had a leak using it mostly on corners and curves not the whole surface
i was having problems with the felpro gasket (feels like it's probably silicone) walking out over the long straights of the block. the gasket was thicker than oem, and the bumps on the moroso pan seem shorter. so torquing the bolts to the factory spec meant the gasket was squished to the point of immediate damage (tearing around studs). but leaving it any less tight and the gasket would eventually work it's way out over a few hundred miles of driving, and oil would starting pumping out with every turn of the crank. either way it leaked from initial installation and just got worse. PITA.

this last time, i got another felpro blue under warranty and allowed the ultra-grey (generic hondabond) to dry with the bolts little more than hand tight. next day i torqued to spec. that was months ago, and no leaks. knock on wood lol.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like myhondahabit finally posted a video on their website with a decent "how to" for oil pan gaskets. If nothing else, it's a good "how to". I'll link the video directly so if you don't want to go to the site you don't have to.

Last edited by criticallistenp; 01-11-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time a gasket should leak is when oil drops down via gravity to the block and doesn't allow a tight seal in between the block and the gasket. It's important before putting the pan on with the gasket to wipe down around the edges of the block that way in the few seconds it takes you to put the gasket to the block oil doesn't drop down. If there is even a microscopic amount of oil on any surface, it's going to leak.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried a honda habit hasket and so far no leaks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to stop that leaking oil pan gasket once and for all.