Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid

I have a 98 Honda Accord that I have NEVER changed the atf. It has 145,000 miles on. I am not having any issues. But I am concerned at this point. I saw the youtube video about flushing with the supply line going into the bucket. Sounds like a good idea. I also so the vid about draining 3 qts / fill 3qts and repeat 3 times. Also that dam fluid is high z1 vs dw1 wow.

I need suggestions on what to do. I was in walmart and they had some Castrol Multi Vehicle ATF for imports also saying that it was a alternative.

Please help
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid

Drain>Refill 4 times and afterwards change every 15K.

Read this on post #16

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...fficial-2.html
Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should I use cheap Dex lll or find me some Honda ATF? Or maybe during those first couple of flushes use cheap and the last refill use Honda ATF?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondacare
Should I use cheap Dex lll or find me some Honda ATF? Or maybe during those first couple of flushes use cheap and the last refill use Honda ATF?
Always, only Honda ATF. If u flush it with the Dex or any other type of fluid, you won't have just Honda ATF in your transmission. Honda's are real funny about different transmission fluids.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djkurious
Always, only Honda ATF. If u flush it with the Dex or any other type of fluid, you won't have just Honda ATF in your transmission. Honda's are real funny about different transmission fluids.
My 2002 Accord owners manual specifies how to change the tranny fluid. It lays it out in black & white. Here is how Honda specifies to change the tranny fluid in a 4 cyc auto:

To thoroughly flush the transmission, the technician should drain and refill
it with Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid), then drive the vehicle a short distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time.

Try getting a dealership to do that.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mr500cm
My 2002 Accord owners manual specifies how to change the tranny fluid. It lays it out in black & white. Here is how Honda specifies to change the tranny fluid in a 4 cyc auto:

To thoroughly flush the transmission, the technician should drain and refill
it with Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid), then drive the vehicle a short distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time.

Try getting a dealership to do that.
That was from a owner's manual verbiage for a 10 year old car. The dealership has revised instructions and procedures for multiple drain and fills, where it is all done on a lift. Also, Honda ATF-Z1 has been replaced with Honda DW-1.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try some GM synchromesh.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Trial User

ATF will be fine. I am worried that when you replace the fluid you might loose your transmission. It happened to my sisters accord when she didnt get it changed for 40k and at 150k I changed it and immediately after it started slipping and then would not engage.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More then likely it will cause more harm then good.

Your lack of maintenance has probably caused the fluid to break down and recirculate all the particles/shavings. Might even be burnt as well.

If the fluid is very dark or burnt smelling I would just continue driving as is until the tranny dies.

As far as fluids, the topic has been covered 1,000,000,000 times. Use the search feature.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
More then likely it will cause more harm then good.

Your lack of maintenance has probably caused the fluid to break down and recirculate all the particles/shavings. Might even be burnt as well.

If the fluid is very dark or burnt smelling I would just continue driving as is until the tranny dies.

As far as fluids, the topic has been covered 1,000,000,000 times. Use the search feature.
Agreed, Honda Auto transmissions does not like ATF drain/flush when it has not been properly maintained. When the old fluids are burnt/brown color I would just continue to drive and maintain proper fluid level....otherwise new fluid will breakup all the varnishs and metal shavings and clog the filter thus cause slipping...which means rebuild or used trans will be required.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
That was from a owner's manual verbiage for a 10 year old car. The dealership has revised instructions and procedures for multiple drain and fills, where it is all done on a lift. Also, Honda ATF-Z1 has been replaced with Honda DW-1.
Hey no disrespect but I'm fairly new and learning and two, I'm driving a ten year old car and haven't seem the procedure for a tranny service. I'd love to see one posted, sorry if its boaring but there too much old crap out there.

Lance
Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a pretty easy to drain and fill the trans.

From the pass side tire area, you will see a round bolt with a 3/8 square in it. Insert your 3/8 ratchet into this and remove. Wipe off drain bolt, re-install (some replace the washer-up to you).

Then with a long funnel, refill trans thru dip stick hole. Be sure to check the level (proper procedure) after.....done.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you have a bucket with markings for quarts so when you drain you know exactly how much fluid came out, then you put that much fluid back in.
I just did this on my ex girlfriends car with 38k and only 2.5 quarts came out. Thats what I added (used Honda ATF) and the transmission is shifting perfect.

The reason a lot of peoples transmissions start slipping is because they add too little or too much fluid after they finish the fluid change. Add exactly what came out and youll be good.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my 01 power flushed at 90,000. Make sure they use Honda ATF.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use honda atf and do a drain a fill 3 times the final time change the crush washer and torque to 38 ft lbs between each drain and fill start the car run it though the gears and if you can put it in drive and run it though the gears you should be fine since the car is older i don't think you have traction control.....if you are using a floor jack pull the plug and lower the car to a lvl surface while draining
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you guys really drain and refill THREE times? That sounds excessive in labor and cost to me.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to. When you drain it each time not all the fluid comes out so there will still be old fluid in the trans
Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you do it yourself no labor cost normally you only do it once every 30k but if you don't upkeep your mainance then hondas version of a flush is drain and fill 3 times
Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

personally my experience is that when you neglect a honda automatic transmission this long and THEN want to change the fluid you end up with a dead transmission. I personally would leave it alone and save some money to replace the transmssion when it fails.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is what has worked for me on old tranny's,

Drain the fluid into a clean container. Put drain plug back in. Pour 1 (only one) quart of new HONDA transmission fluid in, then pour 1 1/2 quarts of the old fluid back in.

This will give some new life to the fluid, but not enough detergent properties to start cleaning the old build up off of the clutches and valves etc.

After 5,000 miles repeat this procedure, adding only 1 quart of new fluid.

There is a fine line between replenishing the fluid properties and having enough new fluid to start cleaning the inside of the transmission. At the high mileage you are at, there is only so much life left in the tranny. Not doing anything is a chance, as well as a complete change.

I have done this on my GMC truck as well as 2 honda's.

The only time a tranny flush is a good idea is if the tranny has always been regularly serviced. Goes for any auto transmission.

If you are really quick and do not mind a mess, remove the drain plug, drain a quart, install drain plug, add new quart.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is it bad to drain and refill an old automatic transmission?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

never flush a honda tranny period you will damage the trans 90% of the time even if it's been well maintained the pump simply can't handle a bigger load and they way most guys who know what there doing flush a tranny is hook it to a machine and start the car and the tranny will circulate the fluid i just replaced a tranny because it was 2-3 quarts overfilled and the tranny failed because of that so trying to move that much fluid will damage it they have bulltiens on it
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
Why is it bad to drain and refill an old automatic transmission?
It is not bad to do in all cases. Tranny fluid has cleaning/carrier properties that are great if the transmission is serviced on a regular basis. It does not matter how old or how many miles the tranny has on it depending on whether it was regularly serviced or not. If not regularly serviced, fluid gets old and loses its ability to clean, lubricate and resist breakdown from heat. This causes particle build-up on all internal surfaces to include clutches, case, valve bodies etc.

When you change the fluid on a tranny that has old, discolored or burnt fluid you are taking a risk. The new fluid will not "damage" anything, but will clean and break up old deposits. Sometimes clogging screens/filters/valve body orfices/servo's etc.

If a tranny goes out after a complete fluid change or flush it was already comprimised. The new fluid only did its job, but also accellerated the impending failure.

Case in point. I have a 2005 GMC Z-71 that I service regularly. During the second tranny filter/fluid change I used the new Dexron VI fluid that is synthetic based. Although I changed the fluid/filter every 30K, the new dexron VI had much better cleaning properties than the previous Dexron IV. After 15K with the VI, my truck started spitting fluid from the vent. With the advice of a transmission builder I changed the fluid/filter again and it stopped. It appears the Dexron VI broke up enough gum/particles to clog the filter, causing the fluid to vent.

In my previous post I talked about adding only 1 quart of new fluid and refilling the other 1 1/2 with the old. This is also from advice of a transmission builder. It will do 2 things;

1. It will add a little "new" fluid to assist with friction/heat reduction

2. It will not (normally) be enough new fluid to start a deposit breakdown

I have seen a honda accord with over 200K use the 1 quart process through the first 4 changes (20K miles). His last transmission fluid change (5th) was a normal drain/refill with 2 1/2 quarts.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought a 1994 honda accord LX with 170,000 miles on it. Tranny shifts at right points but shifts a little hard. I don't know if trans fluid ever been changed so I changed it this weekend. The old fluid looks good and red and doesn't smell burnt. I used the new Honda DW-1. I drained fluid (3.5 quarts) and replaced with new. When I took it for a drive after about 2 miles I could tell a difference in the shifting. Still shifts firm but nowhere as hard as before. Gonna do another drain and fill in a month.