Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What type of coolant do our cars use?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of coolant do our cars use?

I've been reading a lot about how some newer cars use some different kind of coolant that has a orange/red color to it and it has different chemicals that would be bad for older cars and same vice versa (bad for newer cars to use conventional green coolant).

So I was wondering if anybody could explain to me these different chemicals and what ones are good and bad for our Civics.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What type of coolant do our cars use?

Honda OEM coolant is blue
Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheJGB3
Honda OEM coolant is blue
There are two different types of Honda coolant is memory serves me right. While you did a good job answering what color it was, you didn't answer his REAL question.

Do you need to use Honda OEM coolant? No. You SHOULD be looking for a coolant that is free os silicates. The silicates will destroy the water pump seal after time. Once the seal croaks, your pump will sieze which will result in failure of the timing belt. Im sure you can figure out where things go from that point on.

Toyota and Honda coolant both are Silicate free. I believe you can also find Silicate free coolant at your local parts house.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ethaline Glycol... The only differance between the normal green, and the honda blue is the dye they put in it
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicBlacksheep
Ethaline Glycol... The only differance between the normal green, and the honda blue is the dye they put in it
This is incorrect.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There 2 main kinds of coolant Green Ethylene glycol and Red orange Gm uses Dexcool that is formulated for their cars, years ago they had composite intake manifolds that has/had leaking issues with Ethylene glycol so they developed their own coolant.

Pestone Yellow bottle (green coolant) will suffice for Hondas it mixes with all coolants.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
There are two different types of Honda coolant is memory serves me right. While you did a good job answering what color it was, you didn't answer his REAL question.

Do you need to use Honda OEM coolant? No. You SHOULD be looking for a coolant that is free os silicates. The silicates will destroy the water pump seal after time. Once the seal croaks, your pump will sieze which will result in failure of the timing belt. Im sure you can figure out where things go from that point on.

Toyota and Honda coolant both are Silicate free. I believe you can also find Silicate free coolant at your local parts house.
So to be safe what should we all use???? Ohh thats right HONDA OEM coolant. Just use OEM fluids. You cannot go wrong. Honda blue lasts a really long time too. Honda makes reliable cars, they use HONDA parts, keep using honda parts/fluids and it will continue to last a long time.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you all, I knew that the OEM fluids are the best for Honda vehicles. But I just wanted an explanation on why (the chemicals in the different types and why it's good/bad for Honda cars).
Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't have to use OEM coolant. Does anyone even know if there is a diference with Honda coolant, other than it's blue?

Go to the autoparts store and pick up some prestone 50/50.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
There 2 main kinds of coolant Green Ethylene glycol and Red orange Gm uses Dexcool that is formulated for their cars, years ago they had composite intake manifolds that has/had leaking issues with Ethylene glycol so they developed their own coolant.

Pestone Yellow bottle (green coolant) will suffice for Hondas it mixes with all coolants.
Ethaline glycol is green proplaline glycol is red
Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicBlacksheep
Ethaline glycol is green proplaline glycol is red
they are both colorless chemicals that are mixed into the formula of antifreeze (they don't change the color of the final product). so you are wrong.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use Honda Type 2 blue coolant which is already mixed 50/50, I use half of that and the other half distilled/purified water. That being the case I guess you could say I run 25% coolant and 75% water.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They have different properties, if they were all the same, there would be no name change... They use dye in order to differentiate the two
Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/et...col-d_904.html
Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/can-i-mix-my-green-oem-coolant-new-blue-type-2-coolant-2565925/
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Plain old green coolant is fine. Just don't use Dexcool or you'll end up with a mess.

Also Honda makes green coolant as well, it's a darker emerald green though, local dealership doesn't carry the type II blue stuff.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I always use OEM Honda coolant.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK

The silicates will destroy the water pump seal after time. Once the seal croaks, your pump will sieze which will result in failure of the timing belt.

Edit this miss-info

Wow if the combustion of these motors can put us in the 12's, 11's and so on there is no way of a pump seizing from slightly wrong coolant blend.
Water pumps are designed to simply fail at the seal and **** out coolant from the weep hole as an indicator. Not stop in its tracks and cause catostrophic engine failure.

If this post hits page 2 cause of junk like this

Last edited by beecee18; 05-14-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

lol oem honda COOLANT!?!?!?! WE ARENT DRIVING FRIGGIN ROLLS ROYCE OR BENTLEY'S!!!! Great way to fall for a companies pyramid scheme. Prestone 50 50 and call it a day, these cars are durable and last a long time, even when abused. as long as you arent putting a chem thats known to corrode our cars/parts you will be fine.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ej1ryder
lol oem honda COOLANT!?!?!?! WE ARENT DRIVING FRIGGIN ROLLS ROYCE OR BENTLEY'S!!!! Great way to fall for a companies pyramid scheme. Prestone 50 50 and call it a day, these cars are durable and last a long time, even when abused. as long as you arent putting a chem thats known to corrode our cars/parts you will be fine.
??? seriously? spending 15 bucks for coolant is a wallet buster?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a great mentality. Keep it up. People like you will continue to bring me business repairing these cars for years to come!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The more people like you, the less we will see wrecked Honda's driving. Keep it up

OEM fluids are best.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Are there any diference with OEM coolant compared to prestone?

I've been asking that question for a while, and no one seems to be able to answer.
You may be more just becuase it's comes in a jug with Honda on it.

In some cases Honda fuild is best, but ****, it's just coolant!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People need to pull your heads out of your rear ends and go read about silicates and how they effect the cooling system components... specifically the water pump. I used to be just like you guys and assumed there was no difference and it was a just a marketing ploy... until my pregnant wife had to walk a mile home when the water pump failed and ripped the timing belt on her car. Didn't "weep" beforehand or anything. No signs of an issue. Someone before us supposedly had it serviced and it had the traditional old green coolant in it. Needless to say, I don't gamble on crap like this any longer. I’ve learned my lesson, unfortunately the hard way.

You want to use any old coolant because its all the same? Let your ignorance guide you. I’m here to tell you its NOT all the same and there is a reason that companies like Honda/Toyota have their own coolant.

Read this:

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-wrong-coolant
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting thread, been wondering this myself for months.

Is there a dealer alternative to buy Honda OEM coolant?
I am thinking about some place online that sells it for a better price.

Majestic Honda might have it, but with their bullshit "handling fee" and shipping it wouldn't be worth it probably.

Last question: is OEM Honda coolant ok, or is there a more specific kind for the Acura B18C (JDM) motor? I ask because when I got the car swapped, I could have sworn we used a silver coolant jug with blue "Acura" sticker on it.

Thanks for clarifying, I need to do this asap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What type of coolant do our cars use?