Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2007 Honda Accord Not starting

Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Honda Accord Not starting

My 07 accord 4cyl manual, not starting. Charged battery, tried a second battery. stark plugs have spark. checked all fuses. took out all old fuses and replaced with new ones. The key immobilizer system shows the key green on gauges when key is inserted. the engine turns and has a whining sound but not starting. What else can i check?? please help
Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 2007 Honda Accord Not starting

Anyone? I read some hondas are having issues with the main relay fuse, i might try changing that.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have spark, then you don't have fuel.

Can you hear/feel the fuel pump prime itself when you turn the key to on, before you hit the starter?

Check the fuses related to the fuel system as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the imobilizer lite flashing when you are cranking the eng. Do you have a 2ed key to try? Can you hear the inj. click when cranking? Got fuel? Got compression? How many mi. on the car? Whining sound when cranking pls. give moor info on that noise What do the plugs look like Check eng. lite on? You need 3 things for a start spark compression and fuel all at the rite time and the rite ammount good luck
Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Trial User

Thanks guys for your time.
The car was in a small accident before this, but after the car was put together, it started for 5 minutes, then died and cannot get is started again!!?? Please read below of what i tried:

1) its a 4cyl 2007 honda Accord Value Package edition manual tranny, 56k miles
2) when i insert the key, the green key light on the dash turns on for a second then turns off, so i am assuming the immobilizer system accepts the key(No spare key to try)
3)when i turn the key and press the clutch petal to try to start, the engine turns, so starter is good, the battery is good, but the car does not start, just engine keeps on turning and whinning (normal sounding) but no start)
4)seems to get fuel, few checks that i did were, the relay for fuel pump clicks when i turn the key to start and the fuel pump makes noise in the rear of the vehicle, also i took out the spark plug and it is was wet with fuel smell to it. Also disconnected the fuel line in the engine and fuel squirted out, so its getting fuel.
5)spark plugs seem ok, i took all of them out and with all of them connected to the ignition cables, i grounded the spark plugs and with the light off, turned the key in the ignition and the spark plugs ignited and i could see spark on all 4 of them, so spark plugs get spark
6) took off the plastic tubing for the air box and sprayed some of that quick engine start stuff right into the throttle body while another person was trying to start the car and nothing different happened
7)checked all fuses and replaced all fuses under hood and under dash, and all fuses good
8)i have a buddy who has similar accord, so i took out the relays under the dash, and replaced them with his, the fuel pump relay, the main ecu (2 brown ones) and still nothing different.
9)checked all the grounds and all seem good
10) took off the head to see the timing chain in case it fell off, timing chain is ok, i turned the engine over manually and i could see the chain moving just find, nothing fishy happening, all seemed fine

Seems like some kind of sensor or computer issue, any ideas??
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by krutoyi
Thanks guys for your time.
The car was in a small accident before this, but after the car was put together, it started for 5 minutes, then died and cannot get is started again!!?? Please read below of what i tried:

1) its a 4cyl 2007 honda Accord Value Package edition manual tranny, 56k miles
2) when i insert the key, the green key light on the dash turns on for a second then turns off, so i am assuming the immobilizer system accepts the key(No spare key to try)
3)when i turn the key and press the clutch petal to try to start, the engine turns, so starter is good, the battery is good, but the car does not start, just engine keeps on turning and whinning (normal sounding) but no start)
4)seems to get fuel, few checks that i did were, the relay for fuel pump clicks when i turn the key to start and the fuel pump makes noise in the rear of the vehicle, also i took out the spark plug and it is was wet with fuel smell to it. Also disconnected the fuel line in the engine and fuel squirted out, so its getting fuel.
5)spark plugs seem ok, i took all of them out and with all of them connected to the ignition cables, i grounded the spark plugs and with the light off, turned the key in the ignition and the spark plugs ignited and i could see spark on all 4 of them, so spark plugs get spark
6) took off the plastic tubing for the air box and sprayed some of that quick engine start stuff right into the throttle body while another person was trying to start the car and nothing different happened
7)checked all fuses and replaced all fuses under hood and under dash, and all fuses good
8)i have a buddy who has similar accord, so i took out the relays under the dash, and replaced them with his, the fuel pump relay, the main ecu (2 brown ones) and still nothing different.
9)checked all the grounds and all seem good
10) took off the head to see the timing chain in case it fell off, timing chain is ok, i turned the engine over manually and i could see the chain moving just find, nothing fishy happening, all seemed fine

Seems like some kind of sensor or computer issue, any ideas??
Do you have compression?
Did the timing belt jump by chance? I would think not since you said it ran for 5 minutes, but might be worth verifying its lined up properly.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Trial User

I also forgot to add that I have a small check engine scanner, and no codes show up.

I have not tried a compression test yet. Also have not checked if the timing chain slipped, have not had time to take it all apart, also can a chain slip? i have heard a belts slip but not chain. it seems to turn nicely.

Thanks for your help!

Any other thoughts anyone??
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The timeing chain can jump can be one reason plugs are wet it is time to line up TDC # 1 comp and check the lines
Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Trial User

The reason why wet plugs is i was reading online a way to check if getting fuel is by trying to start the car and pressing on gas petal a lot, the spark plug was very lightly wet, not soaked or anything, and had a gas smell, so thats how i know it is getting fuel. And when the engine is turning, its not making any other sounds like the engine is about to start or anything like that, just turns and make a regular starting sound, but does not start

Thanks for your comments!
Anyone else?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the exact same problem on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (my other car is a 2006 Honda Accord, BTW). The car would crank but would not start. If I did get it started it would just die after 10 minutes of driving. I did some research on the symptoms and the most likely culprit turned out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor going bad. Never heard of it before but if the CPS starts to go bad then it cannot ascertain the position of the crankshaft and therefore communicates to the engine computer that the crankshaft is not turning. As a safety measure the computer then cuts fuel to the engine. Hence crank but no start.

When I took it in to the shop (these buggers are a pain to change by yourself in some cars) the mechanic confirmed it on the diagnostic computer and changed out the sensor. Problem solved.