Notices

1990 CRX stock build.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 CRX stock build.

Hello all. This is my first post. I just bought a CRX yesterday. I have been looking for a CRX for a long time but I have found its really hard to get a stock clean CRX. I do not want a modified CRX, and every single one for sale is very modified, and most were modified in a really crappy fashion.

Anyway, I found a stock 1990 CRX DX that was on craigslist for $1,800. It needed a little love, but it had some very strong points. First of all it was mostly original, second it ice cold AC, third it was a clean title and registered. Also the owner had just has shop install a new distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, alternator, starter, hoses, belts, and battery. So after talking to the owner who lived 35 miles from my home, I agreed if he delivered the car I would pay him his asking price. Fast forward to the next morning, I get a call from the owner saying he was on his way to my house and the car broke down on the freeway. His Dad brought him some gas, car would still not start, the killed the battery at this point, so they went and exchanged the battery for a brand new battery and we met at the car. He installed the battery and no luck, car would not start. It would only crank over. So I told the owner I would give him $1,000 for the car on the side of the freeway, or I was going home. He agreed, I gave him $1,000 and he gave me the title and drove off and left me and the car on the side of the highway. Luckily I came to see the car straight from work and had picked up my father on the way. So I had a my work car a Crown Vic Police package with pushbars so I had my Dad climb in the CRX and I pushed him off the highway with the Vic. I called my tow truck and he was booked and could not come get the CRX for nearly 3 hours. So I figured I was off the highway and in a safe spot so I would see if I could figure out why the car was not starting. After going through all the normal stuff, checking spark, fuel, fuses, etc, I was completely stumped. Then I remembered how the rotors on Hondas are held in place by a screw, so I took off the distributor cap and the screw fell right out, the rotor was just free spinning. I put the screw back it and the car fired right up! So that screw saved me $800 and a tow!

I am going to fix the car up as it has a few problems areas. I want to make it totally stock and original. But here are some photos of when I first got it.

Side of the freeway.

The problem side.

After I cleaned it up.

Interior.

So at some point in the cars history, someone decided to use spray paint to touch up all the chips on the car. So the whole car was covered in spray painted areas over clean factory paint. I spent a lot of time cleaning the spray paint off and then buffing the factory paint back up to a shine. Here a few photos.

The car is missing two center caps, the cargo cover, and the factory radio doesn't work. Can anyone help me finding these parts? Or have any for sale?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1990 CRX stock build.

Here are the first few minutes of CRX ownership! Sorry my dash cam went to a new file mid push, so its in two parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP2Ldynmnmc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBARvdr8WGU
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today I pulled out the only mod the car had. The previous own installed coil over springs. So I switched them back to stock Honda springs today. I can say the improvement in ride quality is amazing. It drives so much better now. Also if anyone wants these no name coil overs, shoot me any offer. The only killer is shipping.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I have a white 90 SI myself.

How did you get the spray paint off, and what did you use to buff it?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car looks amazing! looks like it's in good hands. i do have a suggestion for one (just one!!) mod. si or integra seats. MUCH more comfortable than the stock ones.

as far as the radio goes, are you planning on going aftermarket?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
car looks amazing! looks like it's in good hands. i do have a suggestion for one (just one!!) mod. si or integra seats. MUCH more comfortable than the stock ones.

as far as the radio goes, are you planning on going aftermarket?
Thank you! I would like to do a seat swap. I am just not having much luck finding any. I might end up recovering the standard seats.

As for the radio I am just keeping the stock Honda unit. I have two reasons for this. First it goes with my desire to have a 100% stock CRX. And second it will reduce the likely hood someone will break into my car.

Today I made more progress on the car. I took it into the local Honda dealer and had them do an oil change. While the car was there I had them make me a spare key and replace some burnt out light bulbs they found. I also ordered the clips for the passenger side door molding. Once the car was serviced I took it over and had the smog check done and then went to DMV and transferred the car into my name and got some new license plates.

I have also ordered a bunch or parts on ebay that should start arriving here soon. So hopefully I will be able to make some good progress on the car.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The CRX looks great, nice steal! BTW, I hate you guys who drive around in the decommissioned cop cars though lol, scares the **** out of me for no reason haha
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryd2TheMax
The CRX looks great, nice steal! BTW, I hate you guys who drive around in the decommissioned cop cars though lol, scares the **** out of me for no reason haha
Thanks! I have to drive the Vic, its my job. Not trying to scare people, and its kinda annoying at work when I am rushing somewhere and everyone is going 5 below posted.

I also missed the comment about the spray paint. I used lacquer thinner and lots of time, followed by a lot of buffing.

Today I took DCRB advice and bought some Integra seats. I couldn't find any clean CRX seats, so here is my one and only mod. I did the CRX seat pan swap and then redrilled one of the seat back bolts so I didn't get the lean other people have experienced with the Integra swap.

Here are some photos.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For reference, this is what I took out of the car. The integra seats make the car so much nicer. Now if I could only find a cargo cover.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Epic story and awesome car dude! those ruffles are my favorite lol!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFnCRX
Epic story and awesome car dude! those ruffles are my favorite lol!

Thank you buddy! Stay tuned, I have big plans for this little car.

Ruffles, lol, took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. A good friend of mine came over after work to help me wrench on CRX and all he asked for was snacks in return for his labor. Pretty good trade if you ask me. :D
Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Trial User

Reall cleann start

Dpfi ftw!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^_^ you wont regret it my friend. both my hatch and my sedan has those same seats in them. only other seats i'd put in my car are some recaros or something of the likes. if the engine craps out i'd suggest a zc for replacement. i put a dohc zc with an si trans in a friends crx, thing RIPPED. you may have to stay SOHC though, since you're in cali
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
^_^ you wont regret it my friend. both my hatch and my sedan has those same seats in them. only other seats i'd put in my car are some recaros or something of the likes. if the engine craps out i'd suggest a zc for replacement. i put a dohc zc with an si trans in a friends crx, thing RIPPED. you may have to stay SOHC though, since you're in cali
I can't thank you enough for pushing me to get the seats. They really make the car. The whole inside feels 10 years newer, and not in a totally custom way. Just like thats what Honda did stock. As for a motor swap, its pretty much out of the question as smog laws are so tough in California. And to be honest I want a stock CRX anyways.

Today a few more parts arrived. I got the clips for the door molding on the passenger side, one of the two missing hubcaps arrived from eBay, also got the carpet for the hatch area I am missing.

The parts need list is getting small and soon I will be striping the car down and getting it ready for a repaint.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those seats look great, good luck with the rest of your project
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Goodluck!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the comments!

One of the missing center caps arrived. It looks great. The second one should arrive next week.

I still haven't located a cargo cover and divider yet. But for the time being I was able to find some black carpet out of a another CRX to put in the cargo area. It looks a lot better than the metal floor that was there before. Its still not perfect. I am still looking for the correct parts.

And finally I should have the new struts to hold the hatch open tomorrow if UPS is on time. That will be a lot nicer than my broom stick. haha
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean! Can beat the price for such a straight bone stock car, come up bro. Best way to go is to leave it stock or just invest one some good dampers.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just needs an oem lip and a blue crx armrest ;-)
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmboyef9
Just needs an oem lip and a blue crx armrest ;-)
That's a good idea! Maybe I will do that.

Today I got a quote for the paint and body. It was fair, so I will probably start tearing the car down to get ready for paint in the next couple of days. I am going to do a base/clear paint job with full color sand a buff, should look better than OEM.

Also today I steam cleaned the interior. It looks a lot better inside. The carpet is like brand new. Its in surprisingly good shape.

These photos aren't the best, but here is the cleaned interior.

Finally today I changed the radio with another stock Honda cassette deck out of a 1989 Accord LXi. This radio works and is the right vintage.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I put the same accord deck in my crx, props on the OEM goodness it looks like she's in good hands.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great job
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeLorean00
I can't thank you enough for pushing me to get the seats. They really make the car. The whole inside feels 10 years newer, and not in a totally custom way. Just like thats what Honda did stock. As for a motor swap, its pretty much out of the question as smog laws are so tough in California. And to be honest I want a stock CRX anyways.

Today a few more parts arrived. I got the clips for the door molding on the passenger side, one of the two missing hubcaps arrived from eBay, also got the carpet for the hatch area I am missing.

The parts need list is getting small and soon I will be striping the car down and getting it ready for a repaint.
i hear ya man. after it was all said and done i wish i had kept my sedan stock... atleast motor wise. dpfi mpgs ftw!

you should post up in the Honda tech regional classifieds, as well as our fs/wtb thread, and even put up a small wtb post in your signature, a lot of people ditch the blue interior in favor of black, i personally could care less.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tips DCRB

I have been gathering parts for this car, I think I now have everything I need.

Today I pulled the transmission to change the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing, axles, motor mounts, and a few seals. I was getting some noise in the transmission and I turns out it was the throwout bearing and input shaft bearing. The rest of the transmission looks amazing. I cannot find a single problem in there. I was expecting to have to do more work. As I love working on these cars, this whole job up til this point took 3 hours. I expect it will take another 3 hour to put it back together and reinstall it.

BTW I am using all factory Honda parts and fluids.

Here are some photos.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DeLorean00

Is that your Ferrari?
Carefully check the ball bearings on the differential, they are often bad, too.
Please don't trust you life to a floor jack, support the car on something more soid than tires, and block the rear wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 CRX stock build.