Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

Help preserve old cars in California

Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help preserve old cars in California

Right now, cars built up to 1974 are exempt from emissions testing (smog check). Right now there is a bill pending in the State Senate that would move the exemption up to cars as "new" as 1981. While this does not help the 1st/3rd Gen community, it is a step in the right direction and an opportunity to get our cars on the exempt list in the future.

To email all of the members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee, paste the following block of addresses into your email:

senator.desaulnier@sen.ca.gov; senator.gaines@senate.ca.gov; senator.harman@sen.ca.gov; Senator.Kehoe@sen.ca.gov;Senator.Lowenthal@sen.ca. gov; senator.pavley@sen.ca.gov; michael.rubio@sen.ca.gov; senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov;Senator....enate. ca.gov

In the subject line, place: In Support of S.B. 1224

And here is a message that you can place into the body of your email:

I am writing to you in support of Senate Bill 1224 which would exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from emission inspection requirement.

This bill would allow California auto enthusiasts to keep their 30+ year old collector and special interest motor vehicles on the road. These old cars are a tiny fraction of the state's motor fleet and see very little actual usage on public roads, but they represent a vast economic engine to our state's economy. Enthusiasts, such as myself, spend millions of dollars to preserve and improve these old cars with local businesses here in California. And every old car preserved is one less scrapped vehicle.

Californians know and appreciate all forms of motor vehicles and we have a particular interest in the cars of the effected by this legislation. The automobile has been an important part of our California heritage and this bill would allow a portion of that heritage to remain vibrant and accessible. Please support Senate Bill 1224 which comes before the Senate Transportation and Housing committee on March 27, 2012.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help preserve old cars in California

Originally Posted by cbstd
While this does not help the 1st/3rd Gen community....
About what cars are you talking? The 1981 would encompass all first gen Civics and Accords and all but the last year of the 1st gen Prelude. It would also include the first two years of the 2nd gen Civic. So while it wouldn't help out any 3rd gens, it pretty much takes care of all first gens.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think he's talking about 1st gen CRX's.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhhh. I guess specification would've been helpful here, lolol.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

THANK YOU, for posting this.... really cool, I will send it to the other dimwits like me who have cars between 76 and 81.... The non-smog is up to year 75 in cali.

Of course the dead line was March27.... aaargh.

Thank anyway.