Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What cars have identical front suspension as 98 Civic EX coupe? Need repair parts.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 What cars have identical front suspension as 98 Civic EX coupe? Need repair parts.

My 16 y/o son wiped out the right and left front suspension with a curb so now i have to make fix. Does anyone know all the vehicles that have the identical front suspension for a 1998 Civic EX D16y8 2dr coupe Im trying to find replacement parts at the local junk yards, or do you know of a better source for these parts online, thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Need Help with my 1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr coupe front suspension damaged

92-00 civics
94-01 tegs
for most everythang.

just buy new/ check ebay they sell overhaul kits for suspension. going to be about the same price, cept you aren't installing rusty decade old parts.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help with my 1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr coupe front suspension damaged

thanks, what is a tegs?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Acura Integra 94-01
Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
92-00 civics
94-01 tegs
for most everythang.

just buy new/ check ebay they sell overhaul kits for suspension. going to be about the same price, cept you aren't installing rusty decade old parts.
Originally Posted by furious94ls
Acura Integra 94-01

OP, specifically what parts do you need? The front shocks will be interchangeable but the rest no, kinda. Theres front LCA's, front upper control arms, hubs, brakes, shock forks, etc etc.

Let us know what parts you need and well let you know what car to get them from.

Last edited by Former User; 03-17-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Thread clean up
Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you^ realize just how much is interchangable

Last edited by Former User; 03-17-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Thread clean up
Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

smh...
Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

quick google search...specific to 5th gens, anywhere it says 92-00 is safe. aftermarket axles all identical, brakes/calipers are interchangeable except when abs/non abs etc. Personally, like I originally said---I wouldn't put used control arms or cv joints/axles- on my car regardless--- your going to end up paying similar prices, get new. suspension is important. A brand new axle is 60 bucks...I wouldnt risk my life using a used/junkyard axle.

Front

Front upper control arm (UCA)
-(UCA) can be swapped for a 94-00 Integra Upper control arm … no performance advantage BUT it is easier to find newer Integra ones at the Wreckers.
-Note: The ball joint in the UCA is not replaceable … Honda does not sell the ball-joint alone, you generally replace the entire A-Arm
-The UCA's can be swapped Left to right, BUT since the upper balljoint is not symetric (front to back) this swap will cause an increase in Caster.

Front lower Control Arm (LCA)
-LCA can be swapped for a 94-00 Integra Lower control arm…. no performance advantage BUT it is easier to find newer Integra LCA's at the Wreckers.
-I have also found that it is cheaper/easier to swap in a nice new 99-00 Integra LCA than to replace all the bushings
-Integra's came with front sway bars, as did some Civics, thus have the necessary flange to attach the sway-bar end-links. So if you need to change a sway bar equipped Civic LCA, make sure that the donor car also had a sway bar

Front Steering knuckle
-There are two types of front steering knuckles found on a Civic. The knuckles found on a civic with 9.5" diameter brake rotors and the knuckles found on a civic with 10.2" diameter brake rotors. These two knuckles are not compatible with one another, different brake caliper brackets, bearings, and hubs.
-The 10.2" equipped civic knuckles are the same as the 10.2" 94-00 Integra (except ITR) front steering knuckles.
-The Other Bolt-on option for EG Civics' is the Integra Type R … the 96 JDM 4x114 lug, or the 97-00 5x114 5 lug 11" setup will bolt up without any issues.
-There is one final difference between front knuckles … ABS. ABS equipped cars NEED ABS hubs/knuckles for the sensors to work, so make sure if your car is ABS equipped that you get a ABS equipped Knuckle

Front Shocks,
-ANY 92-00 Civic or 94-00 Integra (including the ITR) front shocks will bolt up to the 5th Gen.
-4th Gen front shocks will bolt up ONLY if you use the 4th Gen. lower shock fork. 4th Gens use a shock body that is smaller so you have to use fork than came with the shock.
-Further 4th Gen note: 4th Gens. have less suspension travel than 5 or 6th Gen civics, thus the shock bodies are shorter than 5th or 6th gens, so you can run out of shock travel, particularly when lowered, and could bottom out with 4th Gen shocks in a 5th or 6th Gen civic.

Front Springs
-ANY 92-00 Civic or 94-00 Integra front springs will bolt up to the 5th Gen, but there will be a difference in ride height depending on what spring you use.
-Integra Springs generally have a higher spring rate than the Civic springs (stiffer) but not by much.
-The ITR on the other hand has a much higher rate spring than a regular Integra or a Civic and a EG sits about 1"lower than stock … so it is a nice upgrade for 5TH GENS

Front Sway-bar
-All 92-00 Civic and 94-00 Integra sway-bar may be swapped in as long as you get the associated end-links, bushings and D-brackets.
-If your car did NOT originally come with a sway bar you have to swap in the LCA's from a sway bar equipped 92-95 Civic or 94-00 Integra

Front Sub-frame
The 92-95 Civic and 94-00 Integra front sub-frames are compatible with one another, but there seems to be a difference between sub-frames the manual steering and power steering equipped cars …I have not been able to confirm or deny this yet

Front Sub-Frame Brace
-The DelSol Vtec (DOHC) and 94-00 Integra front sub-frame brace will bolt up to ANY 92-95 Civic sub-frame. This helps stiffen up the lower suspension mounts point s and do NOT hang down below the car like most aftermarket lower braces
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can not use 92-95 or 94-01 upper control arms on a 98 Civic. They are a completely different design.

The lower control arms, shock forks and knuckles are the same (except for 99-00 Si). If you get them from a junk yard they are usually a complete deal(knuckle, hub, wheel bearing, ball joint). I would buy new axles from Napa or any other autoparts store. Get them for your car model and year. Sometimes it is relatively cheaper to get aftermarket performance parts to replace OEM parts rather than off brand stuff. If you need to replace the struts or springs there are some affordable parts available. KYB or Tokico would be something I would recommend for shocks and H&R sport springs or Eibach. If you are going that route I would suggest doing all 4. But if you are going to go to Sears or something I would just get an OEM replacement for both the left and right front.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
quick google search...specific to 5th gens, anywhere it says 92-00 is safe. aftermarket axles all identical, brakes/calipers are interchangeable except when abs/non abs etc. Personally, like I originally said---I wouldn't put used control arms or cv joints/axles- on my car regardless--- your going to end up paying similar prices, get new. suspension is important. A brand new axle is 60 bucks...I wouldnt risk my life using a used/junkyard axle.

Front

Front upper control arm (UCA)
-(UCA) can be swapped for a 94-00 Integra Upper control arm … no performance advantage BUT it is easier to find newer Integra ones at the Wreckers.
-Note: The ball joint in the UCA is not replaceable … Honda does not sell the ball-joint alone, you generally replace the entire A-Arm
-The UCA's can be swapped Left to right, BUT since the upper balljoint is not symetric (front to back) this swap will cause an increase in Caster.

Front lower Control Arm (LCA)
-LCA can be swapped for a 94-00 Integra Lower control arm…. no performance advantage BUT it is easier to find newer Integra LCA's at the Wreckers.
-I have also found that it is cheaper/easier to swap in a nice new 99-00 Integra LCA than to replace all the bushings
-Integra's came with front sway bars, as did some Civics, thus have the necessary flange to attach the sway-bar end-links. So if you need to change a sway bar equipped Civic LCA, make sure that the donor car also had a sway bar

Front Steering knuckle
-There are two types of front steering knuckles found on a Civic. The knuckles found on a civic with 9.5" diameter brake rotors and the knuckles found on a civic with 10.2" diameter brake rotors. These two knuckles are not compatible with one another, different brake caliper brackets, bearings, and hubs.
-The 10.2" equipped civic knuckles are the same as the 10.2" 94-00 Integra (except ITR) front steering knuckles.
-The Other Bolt-on option for EG Civics' is the Integra Type R … the 96 JDM 4x114 lug, or the 97-00 5x114 5 lug 11" setup will bolt up without any issues.
-There is one final difference between front knuckles … ABS. ABS equipped cars NEED ABS hubs/knuckles for the sensors to work, so make sure if your car is ABS equipped that you get a ABS equipped Knuckle

Front Shocks,
-ANY 92-00 Civic or 94-00 Integra (including the ITR) front shocks will bolt up to the 5th Gen.
-4th Gen front shocks will bolt up ONLY if you use the 4th Gen. lower shock fork. 4th Gens use a shock body that is smaller so you have to use fork than came with the shock.
-Further 4th Gen note: 4th Gens. have less suspension travel than 5 or 6th Gen civics, thus the shock bodies are shorter than 5th or 6th gens, so you can run out of shock travel, particularly when lowered, and could bottom out with 4th Gen shocks in a 5th or 6th Gen civic.

Front Springs
-ANY 92-00 Civic or 94-00 Integra front springs will bolt up to the 5th Gen, but there will be a difference in ride height depending on what spring you use.
-Integra Springs generally have a higher spring rate than the Civic springs (stiffer) but not by much.
-The ITR on the other hand has a much higher rate spring than a regular Integra or a Civic and a EG sits about 1"lower than stock … so it is a nice upgrade for 5TH GENS

Front Sway-bar
-All 92-00 Civic and 94-00 Integra sway-bar may be swapped in as long as you get the associated end-links, bushings and D-brackets.
-If your car did NOT originally come with a sway bar you have to swap in the LCA's from a sway bar equipped 92-95 Civic or 94-00 Integra

Front Sub-frame
The 92-95 Civic and 94-00 Integra front sub-frames are compatible with one another, but there seems to be a difference between sub-frames the manual steering and power steering equipped cars …I have not been able to confirm or deny this yet

Front Sub-Frame Brace
-The DelSol Vtec (DOHC) and 94-00 Integra front sub-frame brace will bolt up to ANY 92-95 Civic sub-frame. This helps stiffen up the lower suspension mounts point s and do NOT hang down below the car like most aftermarket lower braces
EG shock tower. Notice how the UCA bolts from the top?
Name:  DSCN0860.jpg
Views: 9245
Size:  93.4 KB

EK shock tower. Notice how the UCA bolts from the side?
Name:  HTC09007.jpg
Views: 7506
Size:  153.7 KB

EG/DC front LCA's are NOT compatible with EK.

Hes asking what parts are compatible with an EK, not with an EG. We all know EG and DC are almost similar, EK isnt. 96-00 Ex front LCA can fit in a 99-00 Si, but you will also need to transfer over the sway bar. The sway bars are not swappable without mating them with the correct FLCA.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What cars have identical front suspension as 98 Civic EX coupe? Need repair parts

I'm pretty sure all the LCAs are the same for EG/DC/EK. The only part that is different is the part that connects to the compliance bushing. They all use the same 2 piece design and the same size bolts thru the bushings. 99-00 Civic Si's use a stamped 1 piece design and the bolts are different. I would just look for some EK/EJ8 LCA's and UCA's.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What cars have identical front suspension as 98 Civic EX coupe? Need repair parts

OP, take it somewhere and see what the place suggests to have replaced. Maybe an alignment shop. Unless you got the money to blow, it might save you some money. You probably won't need to replace EVerything.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, take it somewhere and see what the place suggests to have replaced. Maybe an alignment shop. Unless you got the money to blow, it might save you some money. You probably won't need to replace EVerything.

Agreed, find out what you need and go from there.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel bad for OP. I hope he doesnt get confused.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The UCA's, and LCA's from a 94-01 Integra, and 92-95 civic will NOT work!

OP stick to 96-00 civic's and you will be fine.

However, keep in mind while you can use the DX lower control arms they will not have the hole for the sway bar. If at all possible get those from a 96-00 EX ONLY.

All knuckles will work, but only the EX/SI will have the same brakes. Everything else is smaller.

How did he hit the curb? And how did he manage to take out both sides?

The subframe could have shifted aswell.

EDIT- I better explain more on the LCA's, the bolts/bushings are different so the 92-95, 94-01 wont bolt in correctly, unless you swap the subframe.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthas
I feel bad for OP. I hope he doesnt get confused.
Same here.

OP the upper control arms can come come from any '96 - '00 Civic. Lower control arms to need to come from a '96 - '00 LX/EX (you can use Si LCAs, but you'll need both and IIRC the swaybar) Front knuckles need to come from a '96 - '00 EX/Si. If you need an axle any '92 - '00 Civic/Del Sol Axle (except '94 - '97 Del Sol Vtec and '99 - '00 Civic Si) will work. If you have ABS it needs to come from an ABS car, if not you can use either. Front subframe can come from any '96 - '00 Civic with power steering.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Master Detailer

So the LX's do share the same sway bar?

Good to know.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by 98civdx
So the LX's do share the same sway bar?
Yes. And as such the LCAs have provisions for an LCA.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
The UCA's, and LCA's from a 94-01 Integra, and 92-95 civic will NOT work!

OP stick to 96-00 civic's and you will be fine.

However, keep in mind while you can use the DX lower control arms they will not have the hole for the sway bar. If at all possible get those from a 96-00 EX ONLY.

All knuckles will work, but only the EX/SI will have the same brakes. Everything else is smaller.

How did he hit the curb? And how did he manage to take out both sides?

The subframe could have shifted aswell.

EDIT- I better explain more on the LCA's, the bolts/bushings are different so the 92-95, 94-01 wont bolt in correctly, unless you swap the subframe.

t an intersection he started making a left turn going too fast with all his little buddies, boom box blaring said he was going too fast didnt think he wasnt going to make turn, the Rookie then paniced and locked up the tires and skid straight into the curb... see attached pictures wasted some nice wheels too

Thanks for the Info, Right now it looks like the only thing I may have to replace is the
Complete Lower Control Arm assembly (its 2 pieces that bolt together) Right and Left side
and the stabilizer or sway bar which ever its called
Attached Images    
Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Master Detailer

Wow, make sure he foots the bill for this one. Charge him for time aswell...

The control arms 2 peices, you can actually replace 1 of the 2 peices if you'd like.

The sway bar bent? Take a good look at the subframe and make sure it didn't move aswell.

Lca's/sway bar are a simple, somewhat cheap fix.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow!!

just stick to 96-00 civic parts, particularly your trim level and youll be fine...
Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bringing the thread back....so UCA's from a 98 integra gsr wont fit a 99 honda civic correct??? and im talking about aftermarket ones. buddy club to be exact.

Thanks guys
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys,
Going to re-resurrect this thread. I have a quick question that is related:

Do the axles from an Auto '99 LX fit an Auto '97 EX?

I'm fairly new to Hondas and from what I understand the knuckle on my model ('97 EX) is different. I'm just not sure if that would also affect the axles in anyway.

My boot developed a small tear recently and I found an axle at a local scrap yard. My goal is to replace the axle temporarily until I can clean and put new boots on my OEM one. The axle is still in great shape and has low miles. I just hate the idea of trading it in as a core for some re-man axle even with its "lifetime" warranty. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by lightravels
Do the axles from an Auto '99 LX fit an Auto '97 EX?
Yes.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing man.

An easy way is to search at a parts store. Parts numbers should be the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What cars have identical front suspension as 98 Civic EX coupe? Need repair parts.