Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

HELP! Check engine and blinking D4 light

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Check engine and blinking D4 light

Hey guys, I took my CRV through some ATV trails today, and I was going through water that was about 3 or 4 inches deep. Then I ran into a hole that was about 3 feet deep... My headlights were under water, and my whole interior flooded. After my buddies pulled me out, my check engine light was on, and my D4 light was blinking. My car wouldnt go over 2200 rpm even after 15 minutes with the engine on just "cooling off" When I tried to get up some speed, it wouldnt shift either, I had it locked in first, then when I tried shifting to second, it make a ba buhm sound and kept going, with what felt like less power. RPM's stayed the same.
After looking through what could be wrong, I noticed that it was dripping tranny fluid from up high on the transmission. Im hoping its a gasket... Any suggestions as to my problems?
Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Check engine and blinking D4 light

Probably got water in your distributer or your spark plugs. Check the code and see what it is. Your sensor on the tranny probably got water in it. I forgot what it was called but if that sensor brakes or gets moisture in it your transmission doesn't like to shift right
Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your engine and tranny detected an issue and switched to "limp mode" disconnect your battery and let everything dry out and it should be ok. unless you sucked water up and got hydrolock.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChalmersP
Hey guys, I took my CRV through some ATV trails today, and I was going through water that was about 3 or 4 inches deep. Then I ran into a hole that was about 3 feet deep... My headlights were under water, and my whole interior flooded. After my buddies pulled me out, my check engine light was on, and my D4 light was blinking. My car wouldnt go over 2200 rpm even after 15 minutes with the engine on just "cooling off" When I tried to get up some speed, it wouldnt shift either, I had it locked in first, then when I tried shifting to second, it make a ba buhm sound and kept going, with what felt like less power. RPM's stayed the same.
After looking through what could be wrong, I noticed that it was dripping tranny fluid from up high on the transmission. Im hoping its a gasket... Any suggestions as to my problems?
Thanks guys
change your tranny fluid with some new Honda ATF-Z1 fluid and clean your shift solenoids
Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do not disconnect the battery, as this will clear the code. check the code(s) first, then determine your course of action
but don't do anything (including drive) until you've checked the code(s)
Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need a code scanner that can check transmission codes. Scan the code, see what it says, and go form there. It is indeed in limp mode, dont worry about doing distributers or wires or plugs or whatever.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, ill be taking it to my buddies shop today and hell probably do all of the work from there.
Thanks a bunch for your help!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I got an answer back from my mechanic... My TCM and ECM are fried because they got submerged, and my mechanic said it would be around 1500 total for them to install, AND they need those to diagnose my real problem... and unknown leak from my transmission... And a new one of those would cost around 2200 from what he said :/ Im hoping nothing else is wrong with my baby! But im assuming my alternator will be toast, and maybe a few other things... I hate to say it, but would you guys suggest switching to another car?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

find a parts vehicle. As far as i know the ECU controls the tranny and theres no alternate TCU. If you cant find a parts vehicle ill sell you the parts from my parts car for cheap. I wont need the ECU, TCU( if there is one, ill look into it) or automatic tranny. Where are you from?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im in Fort Myers, Florida. My mechanic dried out the units and he said that theyre working today! So I guess ill just stick with the ones I have, and hope that anything isnt wrong with the transmission... Which i highly doubt is true!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChalmersP
Im in Fort Myers, Florida. My mechanic dried out the units and he said that theyre working today! So I guess ill just stick with the ones I have, and hope that anything isnt wrong with the transmission... Which i highly doubt is true!
Well, shipping might kill you on it as im in canada. But if you do indeed need a tranny ill make you a good deal and we'll see how shipping goes. Lemme know.