Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Rear end creaking

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
They call me the part of a womans vagina that causes pleasure.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end creaking

I don't post here often, but i frequent the sub forum to learn.

I have a 99 DC4 w/ Koni/GC set up, F&F rear LCAs, ASR 24mm sway bar + sub frame brace + spherical end links.

Recently, when traveling slowly (entering/exiting my drive way for example) and the chassis is forced to twist a little, the right rear section of the car "pops". Its sufficient to the point that i can feel the "pop" right through the rails of the seat.

As far as i can tell I have installed everything correctly, I have double checked to make sure that the sub frame has not cracked/torn, not bolts are loose/sheared off. Nothing appears to be out of whack.

I have had a new set up installed for about 6 months now, and up until a couple weeks ago it was problem free. However, I have noticed that sometimes the right rear of the car feels "softer" than the left rear. I do not track/abuse this car in any way, but i do from time to time stretch its legs on some twistys. Could the sway bar be too big and causing too much stress? Are my end links not set up right? I am in no way an expert of suspension, but I am not a moron by any means when it comes to cars.

Here are a couple pics for reference so anyone with a keen eye can pick out something that looks out of whack...any input/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Please help me, its driving me insane/scaring the hell out of me.

-Garrett

These were taken with both rear wheels off the ground, I can provide more/better pictures if anyone has any suggestion.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Rear end creaking

Endlinks.

Un bolt them go for a drive, see if the noise continues.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem as well. Haven't found the problem. Interested to see if you find anything.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 endlinks
Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 AM

what can I do to stop/prevent this? grease the hell out of them? That white stuff is not metal shavings/dust, its white lithium grease that i already tried to get it to stop

Also, if i use the other hole in the sway bar that is available will that stiffen the sway bar or soften it?

-Garrett
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by gofastgokart99
what can I do to stop/prevent this? grease the hell out of them? That white stuff is not metal shavings/dust, its white lithium grease that i already tried to get it to stop

Also, if i use the other hole in the sway bar that is available will that stiffen the sway bar or soften it?

-Garrett
You can't, It's just what the endlinks do. I have sphericals front+rear, so I know exactly what you're talking about. lol

Also, it's been reccomend NOT to greese them. Dirt and **** will stick to the greese, and could casue the endlinks to fail quicker. F7 reccomends spraying them with WD40 to keep clean.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah try driving around without the endlinks. I had a couple friends have a similar problem and they were forced to retorque their spherical endlinks.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be your lca bushings as well. Try disconnecting your endlinks first and if the the noise continues install your oem lca's
Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 AM

Thank you all for replying to this thread, you have helped a lot already. Can anyone tell me if the other set of holes will stiffen or soften the sway bar's rigidity?

Originally Posted by 98civdx
You can't, It's just what the endlinks do. I have sphericals front+rear, so I know exactly what you're talking about. lol

good to know

Also, it's been reccomend NOT to greese them. Dirt and **** will stick to the greese, and could casue the endlinks to fail quicker. F7 reccomends spraying them with WD40 to keep clean.
There was a special sort of grease that they came with, and I did apply some when installing. I will take some compressed air to them and clean them out once I remove them and WD40 them.

Originally Posted by tron_
Yeah try driving around without the endlinks. I had a couple friends have a similar problem and they were forced to retorque their spherical endlinks.
Will my car corner like **** with out the end links? I essentially wont have a sway bar at that point correct?

Originally Posted by STOCK_SOHC_DX
It could be your lca bushings as well. Try disconnecting your endlinks first and if the the noise continues install your oem lca's
Thats what I thought too, I inspected everything on the LCAs and they look brand new still and show no signs of wear. Also, will my OEM LCAs work with my sway bar/end links?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Master Detailer

What endlinks are they? I forgot to ask.
My blox endlinks came with noithing except the hardware.

If you remove the endlinks, yes the car will behave differently then it does now. But, you really only need to pop them off and go for a quick cruise.

Yes, OEM lower control arms should work with no problems. I use OEM control arms.

generaly any extra holes in the sway bar, or even the control arms will make the bar stiffer, or softer.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 AM

they are end links that came with the ASR sway bar/sub frame brace kit.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Master Detailer

I bet that lube was for the sway bar bushings.