Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Del Sol Retrofit Project

Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Retrofit Project

Hey guys and gals. This is my first post on Honda-Tech. Im looking for some input, thoughts, suggestions on a retrofit project that I want to put together.
I have a 94 Del Sol Si. I have a set of Ebay blackout one piece headlights with matching aux/fog lights. Im planning on retrofitting this kit:http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=141 , with the CCFL Angel Eyes option (played out, i know, but ill get to that in a minute) into said headlights, Im thinking 4300k, maybe 5000k (thoughts on that, please. I want WHITE). Thats the pretty straightforward part. Now for my questions that I would appreciate input on:
The above takes care of the headlights, high and low. Now, the daytime running lights are the blinkers also. Should I also retrofit a set of HIDs as well? If so, what if I set up the high/lows with 55w ballasts/bulbs, and the turn signals 35w? Or should i just keep them as they are, and "upgrade" them with some better bulbs, such as Silverstars or something? This is also where the CCFL Angel Eyes come into play as well. I would also like to wire the Angel Eyes into the turn signals, so they blink with the turn signal. Might turn out a bit tacky though, just wondering if anyone has done that.
Next thing, the aux/fog lights. First and foremost, do they need HID? I want the aux/fog lights YELLOW, but i do not want the headlights to "overpower" them per se. It does get foggy around here occasionally, and i would like them to be functional as well as look good for everyday driving.
I want everything to mesh well together. Not any one light overpowering any other lights. Functionality over aesthetics, but i want to look good too.
Well, thats it yall. I look forward to seeing what yall think.
Thanks,
Bryce
Old 02-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Del Sol Retrofit Project

5000K Hid is white or darn close depending on the kit
HID's take a wile to produce light when they warm up so using them as blinkers is not advised
for the fog lights i would make them white and wire them so that they can be turned on with out the lights being on with normal bulbs for when you dont want to run the hid lights at least this is what I'm gunna do with my del sol
good luck wiring the angle eyes...lol
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i guess ill just get some good silverstar or sylvanias for the blinkers. and i already have my fog lights wired up so they come on with the daytime running lights. I guess with those, ill just try to find some yellow bulbs, cuz im not having any luck finding a projector kit for del sol fog lights. The angel eyes on the other hand, i google some images, and found a picture of a badass setup that someone did. He put the CCFLs inside the gatling gun shroud and wired it into his running lights: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...or-shroud1.jpg I think it looks pretty amazing, and im gonna try to do that with them.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes 5000k would be white.. daytime running lights are usually part of the main beams on hondas.. parking lights are usually the turn signals.. keep those with the stock bulb or you can upgrade them to white.. you could go led but you would need to run a load resistor so you dont get the hyper blink.. as for the aux lights, keep those halogens also..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i just went ahead and bought some amber bulb 1157 for my turn signals. my headlights dont have the amber reflector, and it was making the white bulbs looks a dingy colored off white, looks better with the amber imo. I got the bi-xenon projector kit from http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php with 35w 5000k D2S bulbs. Going to try to get that done Saturday in time for a car show im going to sunday in shreveport. no, im not entering, just going to check it out, should be fun. and im going to find some yellow 1156 bulbs for my aux lights and see how they look. As of now they have the silverstar cool blue bulbs in them. Anyway, ill take some pictures along the way of the retrofit, and some before and afters, and cutoff and all that to show yall how it turned out. im pretty excited about it myself, this will be my first retrofit.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with that..what projector did you end up going with?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the FXR projectors with clear lenses. I looked up a couple of videos on youtube, and its got good even wide light distribution and a nice clean cutoff.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a good choice...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, the site said thats the typical set that people get, so i was skeptical. but youtube proved me otherwise with comparison videos vs other projectors. but i hit a chunk of somethin going down the road today and it blew my airbags out, so now i have another project to add to the list.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... I finished my retrofit over the weekend. Looks good. 3five watt ballasts, 3five watt 5000k d2s bulbs in blacked out one piece del sol headlights. one of my ccfl angel eyes was broken during shipping, so didnt get to put those in like i wanted. I took lots of pictures of the process, and after pictures of the headlights, on, off, and cutoffs. when i get the pictures hosted up somewhere, ill make a writeup of how i did it, if anyone would be interested.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Trial User

Im looking into Retro Fitting my Lights too. I have Hella E55 BI-XENON D2S projectors that I bought a while ago but im buying my setup (bulbs, ballast, ect) from TRS as well.

My only question is how did you assemble or set up the ballasts, I think im lost on connecting and wiring to the Sol. I know what I need and how to set up the projectors inside the headlights but how do you wire them up? I know its not plug in play lol

I would also like to see some picks!

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Btrumble84
Well... I finished my retrofit over the weekend. Looks good. 3five watt ballasts, 3five watt 5000k d2s bulbs in blacked out one piece del sol headlights. one of my ccfl angel eyes was broken during shipping, so didnt get to put those in like i wanted. I took lots of pictures of the process, and after pictures of the headlights, on, off, and cutoffs. when i get the pictures hosted up somewhere, ill make a writeup of how i did it, if anyone would be interested.
Hey, you mentioned if anyone was interested in a writeup of how you did your retrofit... I have a 1996 Delsol acquired just recently and would love to read up in case you already have a write up please.

Last edited by ecronic; 06-10-2014 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Subscribe to the post for replies