Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Noise from timing belt area after warmed up & low idle...cause?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from timing belt area after warmed up & low idle...cause?

So I swapped my jdm H22a motor from my CB7 to a CD5. Built it for N/A and had it tuned by Jeff Evans in December. Did a full timing/balancer belt job with manual tensioner swap, new water pump, seals, etc. Motor hit 220whp and runs great. About a week after having it tuned I noticed a strange noise coming from the timing belt area. I removed the covers and everything looked normal. The problem is, when the motor is warmed up it makes a whining/squealing noise. The motor sounds normal until it warms up for about 30 minutes. It also suffers from very low idle after it's warmed up and when I come to a stop it almost stalls out. The motor also vibrates my car pretty bad at normal idle. The noise, idle and vibration are not noticeable whatsoever on the highway. Motor has good power and runs strong. I can hold a screwdriver to the driver side motor mount bracket and you can hear grinding very clearly. Anyone know what it could be? It almost sounds like some kind of bearing squealing. I can't help but to think it has something to do with the timing belt job but I've done it twice and double checked everything. The belt isn't too tight or loose either. The noise isn't coming from the belt itself. Could it be possible I got a bad tensioner or installed it wrong? I ran the motor stock in my CB7 for almost two years with no problems. I'll try to post a video of it within a few days bc I can't seem to find the noise online anywhere. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my setup:

94 JDM H22a
Skunk2 Pro 1 Cams
Full Skunk2 Pro Valvetrain with Retainers & Springs...Adjusted Valves
5-Angle Valve Job on Head with OEM Headgasket
Skunk2 Tuner Cam Gears
OEM Timing Belt, Balancer Belt, Manual Tensioner Swap
Hytech Header w/60mm Piping & Greddy SP2 Muffler
Hondata S300 Tuned by Jeff Evans
Euro-r Intake Manifold w/Maxbore Port-matched TB
Aem Fuel Rail with 450cc DSM Blue Top Injectors
Euro-r Crank Pulley
Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noise from timing belt area after warmed up & low idle...cause?

Had the same issue before, took off the timing covers to find I was missing my balance shaft tensioner spring and something else was loose I think the actual pulley was messed up or something it's been a while. But the spring I found melted into the timing cover I remember that. I know it's kind of a pain to take the lower timing cover off with the engine still in the car, but I would do it soon in case something is loose enough to break and possibly damage the timing belt and blow your motor.

Should have done the ks balance shaft removal while u had the motor out... I just picked up my second one along with their manual timing belt tensioner good stuff!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I know that's not it. I've had the timing covers off twice & everything was still perfect. It's to the point now when I come to a stop it almost stalls unless I gas it. 200 views and only 1 response? Is my problem that rare or do you guys need more info? Thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When is the last time you changed your oil? Any shavings? Any knocking under load?

Have you replaced the water pump at all? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Are you positive it's not your alternator?

Just trying to direct this thread to a more diagnostics one...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
When is the last time you changed your oil? Any shavings? Any knocking under load?

Have you replaced the water pump at all? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Are you positive it's not your alternator?

Just trying to direct this thread to a more diagnostics one...
I changed my oil while I was doing my swap but I haven't changed it since I started hearing this noise. Last time I changed it the oil looked normal. No noise for the most part while highway driving. I did start to hear the squealing today while on the highway though, first time ever, so it must be getting worse. But no knocking at all. The water pump was just replaced and it's not my alternator. I can hold a screwdriver up to my driver side motor mount bracket and hear something grinding inside. I did the same thing with my alternator and it made some noise but nothing like the timing area. Sorry no oil pressure gauge. If you read my original post it answers most of these questions. I appreciate you helping me though. At this point I'm stumped. Only thing I can think of is to try replacing the new tensioner or water pump because it sounds like the noise is coming from it. What I may do is take the covers off and listen for the noise while running the motor. It defintely sounds like the sound is coming from something that is rotating.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would look at the tensioner first... Although the water pump could be likely as well.

- Sorry, but giant paragraphs don't sit we'll with me on my phone.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate your advice. I guess my latest post didn't help with the whole "paragraph problem" on your phone either? Atleast I know now, less is better. I am going to tear everything apart again and look at the tensioner and water pump like you were saying. That's the only thing I could come up with also. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this is a old thread but did you ever find out what the problem was im having the same thing on my h22a it iddles really low too and some times when it is warm it makes like a little nocking noise by the timing belt housing but yesterday it almost sounded like a gear grinding or somthing it was loud then my car turned off dont know what it could be
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im having the same problem as well. I changed the timing belt and now whining noises and low idle and my car has shut off twice after driving and coming to a stop. If you found out the problem message me please.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Sounds like you tightened the tensioner way tight. Why did no one think of that lol
Old 12-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Call me crazy, but danielgonz problem sounds like an aging fuel pump about to kick the bucket.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dereck72
Call me crazy, but danielgonz problem sounds like an aging fuel pump about to kick the bucket.
The fuel pump isn't under the hood where the noise is being heard
Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats up all? Well I think the timing belt was making that noise because it was new. But as for the problem with the car shutting off there was a short in the main fuse that was causing the fuel pump to shut off. I figured it out by process of elimination. Changed battery, spark plugs, battery wires, plug wires, fuel pump, etc. But finally figured it out. So if the car is shutting off and the battery isnt dying check the main fuse hahaha. Later
Old 12-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you find the source of the noise? Was reading this and since you said the noise comes as the engine warms up, it makes me think it might have something to do with the engine growing it heats up and expands. If you have a manual tensioner the timing belt will get tighter and could cause the cams to wear into the journals (maybe causing this metal to metal sound your hearing).
do your engine have a manual tensioner or a hydraulic one?

So your fuel pump fuse kept blowing? This shouldn't cause a low idle as the car warms up FYI. your car will stall out just like it ran out of gas.
I'm curious now what is making this noise on so many different engines lol.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to talk down but using process of elimination to diagnose a car is a terrible idea lol.

I think you might have a few different problems going on. Did the noise go away for good?