Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic Coupe WIRING!

Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 95 Civic Coupe WIRING!

I ordered some JDM yellow fogs and I tied in my power wire to the turn signal power and ran a ground, connected everything and all was fine. I was told to replace the 10A instrument light, turn signal fuse with a 30A because the fogs would be pulling more current. I was driving down the road and the right turn signal came on and my gauge lights went off, i burnt up the dimmer switch and replaced and it happened again. As it is now the radio will only come on when the running lights are on, my memory resets in my car. When i plug in the backup fuse under my hood the radio and memory works but my lights will stay on with no key in ignition.

I pulled all the wires to the fogs becasue none of this happened before them. And their is no resistance or loose connection to my turn signals but they same thing still happens and the dimmer switches keep burning out. I have checked all fuses and have no clue how to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic Coupe WIRING!

Both the JDM and USDM fogs come with a wiring harness that is virtually bulletproof. Did you get this used and did it come with both harnesses? Neither should touch the turn signal wiring.

Don't replace the stock fuses for higher draw fuses.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Axatax
Both the JDM and USDM fogs come with a wiring harness that is virtually bulletproof. Did you get this used and did it come with both harnesses? Neither should touch the turn signal wiring.

That is only if he bought OEM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove all of your shoddy wiring. Re-wire your lights with a proper relay and power lead to something more predictable. NEVER splice wiring, it will eventually lead to a headache. You need to make a dedicated setup that you can easily remove/repair.

I have fogs wired directly to the + starter lead with an eyelet/fusible link combo.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have replaced my fuse for instrument light, tail light that had a 30A in it back with the original 10A and also in my back up fuse under the hood i have tried to put the original 7.5A back into it but then my lights will not go off. Everything is back to OEM the fogs aren't functional all the fuses are the same but i keep having the same problem i dont understand what i should do to fix this.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Axatax

I understand that now and the stock fuses are what's in my carr. And yes it came with a wiring harness but i was told to not worry about using it and just tie it into the turn signal hot wire and run a ground. And no it was new.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by civiceagle2
I understand that now and the stock fuses are what's in my carr. And yes it came with a wiring harness but i was told to not worry about using it and just tie it into the turn signal hot wire and run a ground. And no it was new.
Yeah. This is your problem. There is a foglight DIY/guide here on H-T with pics. If you cannot locate it then try Google. Once you find it compare your wiring to it. If it's not the same then you're wrong.

I don't understand why you didn't use the harness that came with the fogs. That was your first mistake.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Yeah. This is your problem. There is a foglight DIY/guide here on H-T with pics. If you cannot locate it then try Google. Once you find it compare your wiring to it. If it's not the same then you're wrong.

I don't understand why you didn't use the harness that came with the fogs. That was your first mistake.
I understand my mistakes, i just was wondering what to do to fix this? My back up fuse keeps blowing, so i saw a forum that it might be a wire messed up running to the fuse such as the VSS. Any info?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know what the 7.5A the back up fuse does?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#15 is the fuse that is suppose to have a 10A that i had replaced with a 30A, but now i have the original 10A in it.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Well, since you burned out your dimmer, you have probably fried some wires somewhere in your harness - that is why you keep blowing a fuse. Whoever told you to "just hook it up to your turn signals" NEEDS TO BE DRAWN AND QUARTERED.

Now this is a valuable lesson learned in NOT TAKING SHORT CUTS, and never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever replacing a fuse with one of a higher rating.

You are going to have to get yourself a copy of the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM), and start diagnosing the problem. You WILL be an expert at vehicle electrical when all said and done so at least you won't come away from this nightmare empty handed. Also you will have a new respect for wiring diagrams - which I could not read to save my life just a couple of years ago - but now look at all the DIYs that I have written, many of which have a strong wiring component.

The "backup" fuse is basically an 'always-on' wire that powers things like the clock and the radio memory ... stuff where you don't want power to the battery to be interrupted. It has a few other roles but that is one of them... also I am by no means suggesting to go looking to these places for the root of the problem - that is what the ETM is for.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im pretty sure there is a bunch of melted wires around the dimmer and whatever is coming out of the fuse block. I installed ebay fogs about 2 years ago and it came with a harness, (It was basically idiot proof) and all I had to do was slide the cable from under the hood into the cabin and cut the notches in the bumper. Additionally, I believe most cars from 94 and 95 already had a wire that was set up for the fogs (I found it taped up in a junked car at one point so correct me if Im wrong)
Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Well, since you burned out your dimmer, you have probably fried some wires somewhere in your harness - that is why you keep blowing a fuse. Whoever told you to "just hook it up to your turn signals" NEEDS TO BE DRAWN AND QUARTERED.

Now this is a valuable lesson learned in NOT TAKING SHORT CUTS, and never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever replacing a fuse with one of a higher rating.

You are going to have to get yourself a copy of the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM), and start diagnosing the problem. You WILL be an expert at vehicle electrical when all said and done so at least you won't come away from this nightmare empty handed. Also you will have a new respect for wiring diagrams - which I could not read to save my life just a couple of years ago - but now look at all the DIYs that I have written, many of which have a strong wiring component.

The "backup" fuse is basically an 'always-on' wire that powers things like the clock and the radio memory ... stuff where you don't want power to the battery to be interrupted. It has a few other roles but that is one of them... also I am by no means suggesting to go looking to these places for the root of the problem - that is what the ETM is for.
Thank you for the good info, I've been looking for one online and haven't found a downloadable one, but i guess ill try and check the harness and see what i can find. This is going to blow!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump anyone else have this problem.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Miswiring their fogs? Right now just you. Pull everything off and install it properly. That includes using the harness that some knucklehead told you not to use.

Or are you asking us if there is someway to make your current botched wiring job work so you don't have to start from scratch?

And replace that burned up dimmer switch.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump anyone else have this problem.
Bro, you know what the problem is, you just have to go in and fix it. No one has a step by step of how to fix your car.

Replace all of your wiring with a proper setup.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM

I just told you HOW you're ****ed! Get off the computer and fix it, and don't bump your g.d. post again. Start pulling panels off. Start at the fuse box or at the dimmer.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check carefully, pull the panels off, examine all wires related to this circuit, look for A. wires melted together. Wires touching the metal chasis because the insulation melted off. Wires inside the taped bundles.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tried looking at all the wires could it be the VSS?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 PM
The Grumpiest

BUMPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tried looking at all the wires could it be the VSS?
Tried? What wires did you look at? I'm thinking you aren't too mechanically inclined. YOU should just take your car to a shop.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please please just check all your harnesses. The VSS is in no way connected at all to this circuit. You have fried something (Melted, cooked whatever) and odds are its not going to be simple. If auto wiring is not your friend (or anything technical at all) find someone who is and preferably not the person who suggested you wire the lights where you did and offer them beer, pizza and whatever it will take to get this resolved. And if you know very few people like that, take the car to a shop who does automotive electrical trouble shooting.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I`m confused...how did this go from fog lights to a vss??
Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Went through the troubleshooting by the members posting on this forum, they said to check the wiring and start at the fuse boxes. First off, I disconnected my battery, removed the hood fuse box, took off the cover and checked for exposed wiring. This was best case scenario, but all wires were in tack, even though my back up fuse under my hood which is a 7.5 will not hold fuses, if fuse is in all lights will not go off, and I’m not exactly sure what this fuse is for. Then went to the under dash fuse box, removed all covering and removed all connectors and made room to actually check for burnt wires. I found the green 13-pin connector had some exposed wiring, it was the red wire with a black stripe down it, and this wire I thought at first went to my dimmer switch because you can smell it burning when hooked up, (tried more than one, 3 actually) so something if definitely wrong with the wiring. I traced with red wire with a black stripe all the way to the firewall and I couldn’t find out exactly where all it ran to, I’m assuming that it ran to both turn signals, I then tried to replace the burnt and exposed wire, the pin then broke off in the connector because of how the wire was completely melted, the wire was so messed up it went from a good connection to one thread of wire at the pin. I tried to fix this and run a connect wire and see if it would work. The wire was melted onto other wires but not exposing them. I tried to see if it was fixed and it was not? Not sure what to do now, can I get another connector or harness, take it to a mechanic, but I’m not wanting to get raped by their prices. Right now all the problems with my car are that, my radio won’t turn on until my lights are on, my dome light doesn’t work, my dimmer switch keeps blowing, and my memory and digital clock are resetting, and my back up fuse keeps all my lights on. What should I troubleshoot next?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
The Grumpiest

Sorry to be insulting at this point but are you brain dead or something? I'll repeat. REMOVE ALL THE SHODDY FOG LIGHT WIRING!!! Then replace all the melted and burned up wires that you fried.

Last and not least, do not attempt to wire up anything to your car ever again!!! It is so obvious, even to yourself, that you have NO IDEA what you are doing. Do yourself a favor and pull that crap off of your car before something catches fire with you in it.

Your best bet is to just replace the whole underdash harness because you've screwed up the wiring soooo bad there is no idea what you've burned up under there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Civic Coupe WIRING!