Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

All motor em1 build/ poor mans type r

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 All motor em1 build/ poor mans type r

Hey guys, question, i have done lots of research and still have some questios for this build. I have a 99 civic si that i am trying to do a poor mans type r in. I have a 00 b18c1 block usdm and my stock b16a2 head that came in my car. I have nippon racing cyr pistons that rate at 12:1. Should i use my b16 cams or gsr? Will gsr motor bolt right up to my car or do i need to get different mounts. Also do i use oil and water pump off gsr or b16. So my main question is what all else should i do and what ecu should i run. I want a serious power dd. Any suggestions on this build to make it better or more power are greatly appreciated. I am a noob so leave the jokes out. I am serious about this build and want real help. One more thing. I have money but i aint rich and would like the most cost effective approach...i want a true sleeper. thanks guys
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: All motor em1 build/ poor mans type r

Not trying to call you out too harshly BUT First off it's easy to tell you haven't done any searching on the questions you're asking. The "will the GSR block bolt up" is the first clue. Then onto the oil pump and water pump questions. Also you need to re-run your numbers if you think CTR slugs in a GSR are going to only be 12:1 CR...then come back with questions. Right now you are so blind to the basics building a 1.8 with CTR pistons is going to get you nowhere.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: All motor em1 build/ poor mans type r

Hey thanks for the input in all but it was un needed...instead of telling me all that u could of just said i am going the wrong route and maybe direct me towards the right. So is it that u dont know the answers to my questions and thats why u wasted so much text trying to rag on me instead of saying yes or no and helping me. I dont know too mich and i apologize for not building hondas my whole life but its something that i wanted to do and love the cars and wanted to get into it. So i am sorry for the basic questions. All threads are basically saying gsr bottom and si top...thats it. Can someone please help me and lead me towards the right way. I didnt ask for help to be laughed at. I asked cause i need it. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Trial User

As of numbers wise where i was going to get the pistons they said with a b18c1 and a usdm b16a2 top. They said it would be 12:1. If it is more and i need to go with just itr cams let me know. Simple honest question just needs a simple honest answer. I thought we were on here to help each other.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 AM
Trial User

Ok b series parts can swap out...got it...but i dont know about whether to leave the gsr bottom end with all the oil and water pump and stuff or put my b16 stuff on there...which one is better and more effecient
Old 01-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here a start.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Trial User

Ok so i will be ising the jdm type r pistons instead...the ctr pistons seem to make the cr way to high for a dd
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Trial User

The cpr is calculated to be 11.32:1 thats good for a dd right? Not to high. So now that part is solved what else should i do? Gsr or the b16 cams? What are the pros and cons to each? O and thanks for that link to the cr calculator
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekem1-eb
Hey thanks for the input in all but it was un needed...instead of telling me all that u could of just said i am going the wrong route and maybe direct me towards the right. So is it that u dont know the answers to my questions and thats why u wasted so much text trying to rag on me instead of saying yes or no and helping me. I dont know too mich and i apologize for not building hondas my whole life but its something that i wanted to do and love the cars and wanted to get into it. So i am sorry for the basic questions. All threads are basically saying gsr bottom and si top...thats it. Can someone please help me and lead me towards the right way. I didnt ask for help to be laughed at. I asked cause i need it. Thanks.
No I know all the answers I am just tired of "I've searched high and low but have all these simple questions without answers" and spoon feeding everyone on here. Ive built my share of 1.8's both turbo and NA with great results. I guess I'll pull out the spoon another time.
1)Don't run CTR pistons, the CR is in the upper 12's and P2V clearances is limited unless the piston is modified.
2)All the B-Vtec water/oil pumps are interchangable
3) Your car has a B series in it so DUH another B series will drop into the same mounts.

So now second spoon:
Look into P30, PR3 or P73-00 pistons for the best compression ratios available by OE parts that will run on pump gas and be nice for DD.
ITR cams will be just fine although larger cams will accomidate the higher CR very well. Skunk2 Pro 1's, Tuner 2's Toda B's M24's shall I keep going??

See what I'm getting at? all this info is ALL OVER this forum. Use the search button or google and you will come across it rather easily. I don't know it all BUT I know alot and have learned alot from searching and reading.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cpr is calculated to be 11.32:1 thats good for a dd right? Not to high. So now that part is solved what else should i do? Gsr or the b16 cams? What are the pros and cons to each? O and thanks for that link to the cr calculator
SMH. I wish I knew how you got 11.32:1 with CTR pistons in a 1.8. CTR and PCT pistons are the same....go recalculate.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
SMH. I wish I knew how you got 11.32:1 with CTR pistons in a 1.8. CTR and PCT pistons are the same....go recalculate.
i think he is using the b16 (no qwench pads)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 AM
Trial User

Well thank you for the info...really helpful. Second the 11.32:1 wasnt for the ctr pistons. It was for the itr pistons. The cr with the ctrs was ridiculous.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 AM
Trial User

Ok now ecu...i can get a itr ecu cheap...can i leave it stock or do i need to chip it
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to stop asking questions and go do research. research.
no spoon feeding.

you yourself said you don't know alot about hondas. so you're either gonna have to pay someone up the *** to do it for you or you'll end up throwing thousands at it and end up with a 170hp gsr frank.

all of the questions asked in here have been covered and are floating around on the google net. try it sometime.

to your last question. it'll be fine stock. but you should get it chipped eventually since you'll need it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95skunkedgsr
i think he is using the b16 (no qwench pads)
Regardless CTR pistons in a 1.8 at a minimum with an OE HG is 12.7:1

I didn't realize he switched horses mid-stream from the CTR's to ITR's since all the posts before said CTR and 12:1 or whatever the hell he was calculating. I. GIVE. UP. Spoon feeding is getting stupid. Hoping when I sell my car I can slowly mve away from all this frustration. If you run USDM ITR pistons on a GSR crank and rods with a B16 head the CR will NOT be 11.3:1. Stock USDM ITR's did not run over 11:1 and that is essentially what he is building. If he uses the JDM ITR (P73-00) pistons then he will be right at 11:1 or so. 11.3:1 can be had with PR3 pistons.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok now ecu...i can get a itr ecu cheap...can i leave it stock or do i need to chip it
research my friend.. it'll b your best friend for all ur simple questions..
as for ur ECU.. go with a obd1 ecu (p28,p72 chipped) tuned ofcourse
Old 02-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
Regardless CTR pistons in a 1.8 at a minimum with an OE HG is 12.7:1

I didn't realize he switched horses mid-stream from the CTR's to ITR's since all the posts before said CTR and 12:1 or whatever the hell he was calculating. I. GIVE. UP. Spoon feeding is getting stupid. Hoping when I sell my car I can slowly mve away from all this frustration. If you run USDM ITR pistons on a GSR crank and rods with a B16 head the CR will NOT be 11.3:1. Stock USDM ITR's did not run over 11:1 and that is essentially what he is building. If he uses the JDM ITR (P73-00) pistons then he will be right at 11:1 or so. 11.3:1 can be had with PR3 pistons.
agreed
Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just buy a 98spec itr swap i have this swap with I/H/E with hondata in my si and im very satisfied with it
Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by cedric dc4
just buy a 98spec itr swap i have this swap with I/H/E with hondata in my si and im very satisfied with it
This.

Buy good condition 98+ ITR swap. Sell your b16 swap after you pull it out. Come out ahead.