Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

steering wheel not straight after alignment

Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default steering wheel not straight after alignment

ok so my wheel is off by probally 5 degrees when driving straight its a little to the left.. i just had gotten an alignment.. from what i understand the alignment only does the toe/camber.. so how can i fix this
Old 01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: steering wheel not straight after alignment

You have started two threads about this already and NEVER followed anyone's advice ONCE. Why do you feel the need to start another?

Reported for spam.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C`mon bro, do some searching...and stop posting the same threads with different names..

With grumblemarc on this one, reported..
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Unless you have an aftermarket camber kit you can only adjust toe on a Honda. I remember your other threads, if you are having problems with the wheel returning to center on it's own then you will need to sort that out out (it's often do to seized lower ball joints) if it returning to center properly but the wheel isn't centered than you need to take it back to the alignment shop and center the wheel.

I'm leaving this open, but please stop creating essentially the same thread over and over asking for advice and then not taking it.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can fix it by getting someone whos not a retard to do your alignment .. there supposed to center it when they do it .. im gonna guess and say he didnt ..
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM
The Grumpiest

No they aren't supposed to do anything but the alignment. Conscientious shops will go the extra mile and to it automatically like the one I go to. Most shops will take of the alignment and that's it unless you tell them to straighten out the wheel when you bring it in. In this case we're talking about a stinking 5 degrees! Do you know how insignificant that is? Even if they would have fixed it they probably didn't even notice it.

So the question is "How can you fix it?" You can't.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
No they aren't supposed to do anything but the alignment. Conscientious shops will go the extra mile and to it automatically like the one I go to. Most shops will take of the alignment and that's it unless you tell them to straighten out the wheel when you bring it in. In this case we're talking about a stinking 5 degrees! Do you know how insignificant that is? Even if they would have fixed it they probably didn't even notice it.
It depends on the shop, there really isn't any good reason not to straighten the wheel when doing an alignment. You simply make sure the wheel is straight when you start the alignment and use that as your reference point for your measurements. When I did alignments for Honda, the wheel had to be straight, we had to take every vehicle for a test drive when we were done (on the highway, which meant I had to spend about 15 minutes out of the alignment on on a test drive) and sometimes the wheel would be a little off, they had to be essentially perfect so sometimes you'd have to do them twice. Alignments paid 0.8 of an hour (48 minutes) I don't miss doing them.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good shop would adjust both sides to get the toe corrected.
grumblemarc is wrong, you can fix it yourself. You just have to take the steering wheel off and recenter it. Not the ideal fix, but for such a small amount...meh.

If you take the wheel off, you have to either disconnect the battery and disconnect the wire for the air bag and then reconnect the air bag before connecting the battery, and possibly have to reset the SRS system, or hang the hang the bag so it doesn't disconnect. There is a risk of the bag going off if it's disconnected while the battery is connected. .

And no, nobody asked, but this is relevant because it relates to how it can be fixed....
Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok first of all this is a totally different problem.. im not talking about anything to do with turning the wheel.. i said when i drive straight my wheel is a little to the left.. its pretty signifigent too so i was just wondering since i thought alignment shops only do camber/caster/toe how do you fix this?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc

So the question is "How can you fix it?" You can't.

yes they are SUPPOSED too it is not the extra mile .. i am a 12 year tech and i have never done an alignment and not at least made an attempt to get it straight ( if there is play in the tie rods you may not be able to but they should at least inform you of this issue ) .. right on the alignment step by step procedure it tells you to center the wheel .. you are supposed to center the wheel every time you do an alignment unless your a lazy ******* that dosnt follow procedure and tries to take the diff out of just one side .. any shop that doesnt at least make an attempt to do this shouldnt be open .. yes they are supposed to .. take it back and bitch ..
Old 01-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the wheel off and what?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so ill go bak to where i got the alignment and see what they say thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by swizz977
ok first of all this is a totally different problem.. im not talking about anything to do with turning the wheel.. i said when i drive straight my wheel is a little to the left.. its pretty signifigent too so i was just wondering since i thought alignment shops only do camber/caster/toe how do you fix this?
the toe settings do center the wheel ..
Old 01-29-2012, 02:07 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by element600rr
yes they are SUPPOSED too it is not the extra mile .. i am a 12 year tech and i have never done an alignment and not at least made an attempt to get it straight ( if there is play in the tie rods you may not be able to but they should at least inform you of this issue ) .. right on the alignment step by step procedure it tells you to center the wheel .. you are supposed to center the wheel every time you do an alignment unless your a lazy ******* that dosnt follow procedure and tries to take the diff out of just one side .. any shop that doesnt at least make an attempt to do this shouldnt be open .. yes they are supposed to .. take it back and bitch ..
Again, I've been to quite a few shops over the years and only the shops with the better work ethic will also align the wheel if you forget to say anything. You may be a tech but I have a different experience as a customer. Your shop has a checklist. Nice. A lot do NOT. Especially these little hole in the walls. We know what you are SUPPOSED to do and many shops don't. Hell, most shops won't give you the alignment sheet if you don't ask for it.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most shops don't have a checklist, I've gotten mine done before and then get told that the suspension needs work AFTER they aligned it, so it won't hold an alignment right as it is currently. I had it where they didn't straighten my wheel. They didn't dial my toe into where I asked. Alignment shops are kind of a sham. It's like getting an oil change and them putting your old filter back on because you didn't explicitly say to replace it...
Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for anybody else the reads this it's fairly simple to straiten the wheel all you need to do is adjust the toe in the direction the wheel is off . If it's off to the left move both tie rods an equal amount so wheels both move to the left it doesn't take much a 1/16th of a inch will usually fix it or about 1/4 turn make sure its even is the key other wise you screw up the total amount of toe