Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92 Accord, Engine is almost out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Accord, Engine is almost out.

Picked up a nice 5sp 92 accord with 217,000 miles on it for 600 bucks. Runs, drives fine.

Previous owner had the timing belt done about 30k ago, since then, the driver side axle boot split, slinging grease in the tiny gap between the engine, and the timing belt cover - the rubber gasket between the two is missing, and I can clearly see grease on the upper belt. The engine is about 1 hour (just the mounts need to come out) from being out. With the engine out, I will do the following

1) new axles
2) Timing kit, including seals, pump, etc
3) Clutch kit
4) rear main seal
5) fuel filter
6) engine mounts - they are all shot
7) new harmonic balancer (the old one is damaged)

I am not in a rush to do this work, and can wait for parts to arrive via mail. So here are the questions.

1) where are the best places to buy each specific item? I tried searching the board, but found most links to venders old and did not work.

2) What am I forgetting? With the engine out, what else should I do?

3) Has anyone done a Rear main seal before, and can you offer any advice?

4) the ac and power steering have been deleted - does anyone know where I can find a harmonic balancer for just the alt?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly welcomed - thanks very much in advance.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 92 Accord, Engine is almost out.

What's your overall goal for the car? 2nd car? Daily driver?

One thing that comes to mind when I swapped engines in my Accord, I also replaced the engine mounts. I used a Prelude rear tranny mount. It's a direct swap and slightly bigger than the Accord mount.

I think your plans sound pretty good.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just need a good reliable back up car. I like to keep an extra car on hand for friends and family when they visit - save them a little money on rentals...don't need anything fancy, just don't want to put any parts in that'll need replacing in a few months...

thanks again!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you on having multiple cars. I will ALWAYS have at least 2 cars. My Accord is in the garage on jackstands. I am tired, so I am going to leave it that way and just take my other car to work tomorrow. lol

Anyway, try to replace as many gaskets as you can while the engine is out. I would also check the round gaskets on the black coolant tube on the back of the engine. So much easier to do when the engine is out and you're changing the water pump and timing belt.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How damaged is the crank pulley? Because it is not actually a harmonic balancer, you should not need to replace it if a small chip is in it.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response, Gman. Looks like someone tried to pull it out with the wrong puller, and it's missing a few small chunks around the edge. I might just leave it, or try to find one in a junkyard.

Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get on eBay and there is an exellent F22A top-to-bottom gasket/seal kit. I rebuilt an F motor that had been in a fire, and it is running strong. There is also a timing belt/water pump/tensioner kit on eBay. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. I think I paid $52 (shipped to my door) for the complete gasket kit. This is cheap considering I shelled out $30 for just an oil pan gasket last weekend. The kit will even come with your missing timing cover gaskets!

When I pulled my motor, I invested in a few cans of degreaser, wire brushes, and some high temp engine paint. If you are going to take the time to rebuild, you might as well make it look new, right? Here is mine after the rebuild:
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That seems like a good list. Oil pressure switch, maybe, while it's out. Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies and info...had a little time to work on the car, and here it is.

overall, engine looks good. Noticed some tiny leaks from cam, balance and crank seals - not enough to worry about, but since I'm here, I'm going to replace them anyway.

The rear main seal is leaking very, very badly. The clutch played high, and it was obvious that PO did a clutch job, so I'll inspect the trans when it's off the engine to determine if new clutch is needed.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

It may not be a harmonic dampener, however it is till balanced from the factory. You should replace the crank pulley if it has chunks out of it. A few chunks will more than likely throw it out of balance.

As for your list it looks pretty good. You should have done a compression test on the engine to see if may require some machine work wile it's out. If you don't want to go that far it may or may not be a waste doing the rest of the maintenance.

If you are going to go through with it you should get a complete engine kit. Not the cheapest one from Ebay. Try to get a kit with Ishino gaskets, they are OEM. Do as many seals as you can. Also check out your ignition system, Ignitor, coil, rotor, cap wires and plugs.

Crank case gasket kit = $110 CDN (autopartsonlinecanada.com)

Cylinder head kit = $250 CDN (autopartsonlinecanada.com)

These are 100% Ishino (OEM) gaskets.... you may be able to get these kits cheaper in the US.

Good luck with the tuneup
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, Ghost accord, thanks for the parts info. Totally agree on cheap ebay parts - they are vastly inferior, and not worth the money you usually save - with few exceptions, imho.

Compression was within spec on all 4 - this engine was well taken care of...with the exception of the rear main seal, looks like PO kept on top of everything. Distributor orings, plugs, wires, timing belts, etc, etc.

I've haven't done a rms on this type engine - any info or suggestions are very welcomed!

thanks again, Ghostaccord and everyone else for the comments